Getting My First Car

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry mods. I didn’t know where to post this but I wanted to share and I could use some tips Good night everyone.
I was not blessed or in a position to get my lisence or a car.
Welll I got my L on Friday.
I’ve been working for years n paying bills,helping others. including saving
Well I’m planning to get a used car since it’s my first
I’ve been looking online. I’ve got 14 cars saved to my notes but I’m all ears

* what cars are good for first time timers
*should I look for anything special while I’m looking
*does it take long to register or get car insurance
Any tips n comments will be helpful
TBH I want to start driving ASAP

shiv234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i think TIIDAS are awesome.....JK JK....What is you styles of cars...I think a kia cerato might be good as a beginner's car.

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hondas are some of the most reliable cars out there. My first car (and the car I'm still driving) is a 2005 Honda Accord. It's pretty good

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hondas. If you give me a price range and you location I can send you links to good deals in your area.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I love old vehicles, they're more reliable in my case. I have a 2000 Dodge Ram, and it's simple and easy, had it for about 3-4 years now, paid $1800 for it. Still running strong. No technology or wires. If you live somewhere where driving a truck could work, get a truck. Or just get a vehicle that is higher than a car, cause if you get into a wreck you're less likely to get as injured than if you were in a normal sized car.
They are a bit big but I have the half doors on the backseats so reversing is a breeze. Don't have all those supports blocking your view.

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 2005 Renault Clio as my first car, cheap and it goes well, also small so I don't have to stress too much about tight parking. Light on fuel too

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your making me laugh @shiv234

@MattS99 nice. I’ve look at couple Honda’s,Kia,Nissan

@MikeRad89
TBH since Its my first and I’m not picky
My plate is still full so
TBH I’m trying to spend 3000(I could go higher if I have too)
Teaneck NJ

Gala said:
I love old vehicles, they're more reliable in my case. I have a 2000 Dodge Ram, and it's simple and easy, had it for about 3-4 years now, paid $1800 for it. Still running strong. No technology or wires. If you live somewhere where driving a truck could work, get a truck. Or just get a vehicle that is higher than a car, cause if you get into a wreck you're less likely to get as injured than if you were in a normal sized car.
They are a bit big but I have the half doors on the backseats so reversing is a breeze. Don't have all those supports blocking your view.
Lol I agree I didn’t want to get something too small
1800 and it’s still running
Lol sounds good to me lol

kayla.s said:
I have a 2005 Renault Clio as my first car, cheap and it goes well, also small so I don't have to stress too much about tight parking. Light on fuel too
Lol i would like a small car cause I’m not good at parking yet lol. But I’ also don’t want to be too low
But I will check it out now online

aharonhakohen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Insurance advice:

I am also in Jersey.

I have been driving for almost 25 years. I used to live in the south and had dirt cheap insurance. I have a perfect driving record, perfect credit, married, etc.

Moved up here, and my insurance went up 50%.

My point is, that if you have not done so already call a few insurances to get quotes on cars BEFORE you buy to make sure that you are budgeting properly your monthly expenses.

How old are you? If you are under 25, you will be paying higher rates.

My first car was a '84 Bonneville - v8. All steel bumper to bumper. It was a tank.

shiv234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ilovebarbslol said:
Lol I agree I didn’t want to get something too small
1800 and it’s still running
Lol sounds good to me lol

Lol i would like a small car cause I’m not good at parking yet lol. But I’ also don’t want to be too low
But I will check it out now online
Are you a girl?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gala said:
This is so not true. Especially with older trucks and SUVs. They didn't have the same safety standards as passenger sedans so they are less safe. The only positive is that they weigh more so it helps a bit against a smaller car. And those supports might block your view a bit but protects the passenger safety zone during a rollover.

@MattS99 nice. I’ve look at couple Honda’s,Kia,Nissan

@MikeRad89
TBH since Its my first and I’m not picky
My plate is still full so
TBH I’m trying to spend 3000(I could go higher if I have too)
Teaneck NJ[/QUOTE]

Hondas aren't as reliable as they were in the 80's and 90's but still decent cars. I helped my nephew buy his first car ('99 Ford Ranger) that was within your budget. I'm in Joisey too. I'll keep an eye out for you. Craigslist and Cars.com are good places to look but you definitely want a PPI (pre-purchase inspection).

Insurance is crazy in NJ but has gotten better over the last decade or so. I would recommend just liability for a low priced vehicle. You can save the replacement cost in a couple of years.

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known Member
Reaction score
aharonhakohen said:
Insurance advice:

I am also in Jersey.

I have been driving for almost 25 years. I used to live in the south and had dirt cheap insurance. I have a perfect driving record, perfect credit, married, etc.

Moved up here, and my insurance went up 50%.

My point is, that if you have not done so already call a few insurances to get quotes on cars BEFORE you buy to make sure that you are budgeting properly your monthly expenses.

How old are you? If you are under 25, you will be paying higher rates.
Thanks. I’ve heard it could be expensive.
I would start calling but I’m not sure what car I will purchase yet.
I recently turn 25 in November.
shiv234 said:
Are you a girl?
Naw
DarkOne said:
This is so not true. Especially with older trucks and SUVs. They didn't have the same safety standards as passenger sedans so they are less safe. The only positive is that they weigh more so it helps a bit against a smaller car. And those supports might block your view a bit but protects the passenger safety zone during a rollover.

Hondas aren't as reliable as they were in the 80's and 90's but still decent cars. I helped my nephew buy his first car ('99 Ford Ranger) that was within your budget. I'm in Joisey too. I'll keep an eye out for you. Craigslist and Cars.com are good places to look but you definitely want a PPI (pre-purchase inspection).

Insurance is crazy in NJ but has gotten better over the last decade or so. I would recommend just liability for a low priced vehicle. You can save the replacement cost in a couple of years.
thanks.
I’ve been looking on Craigslist n autotrader
Yes I will check the car out before I buy it. I’ll also be going with someone.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
DarkOne said:
Well I can tell you that if my truck slammed head first into a small car, they'd probably be dead and I'd have a few broken bones. Our whole family drives trucks for that reason, and I think my truck is compact enough in the front with the suicide doors to be safe enough. Older trucks are just tougher in my opinion. My parents trucks are a 2012 Dodge and a 2016 Ford (plus like 3-5 Jeeps, depending on when he's buying/working/selling...mom hates it lol), my dad does all the work on them, he helped me pick out the truck and that was one of the things he pointed out.

shiv234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ilovebarbslol said:
Thanks. I’ve heard it could be expensive.
I would start calling but I’m not sure what car I will purchase yet.
I recently turn 25 in November.

Naw

thanks.
I’ve been looking on Craigslist n autotrader
Yes I will check the car out before I buy it. I’ll also be going with someone.
I was wondering since you said you aren't good with turning....i got nothing against people who can't drive but in my family the ladies can't drive to save their lives

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't worry too much about the car size and parking. Get the car you want. Size really doesn't matter.

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What’s insurance going to be!
I know it all depends
But I’ll be able to spare couple bills a month
I’m thinking insurance should be like 1 something.
$150

Lol or it’s a lot more

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
scarface said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the car size and parking. Get the car you want. Size really doesn't matter.
Unless you buy HUGE tires or it's a dually truck lol
Honestly I get scared when I see vehicles like that in a drive thru or parking...makes me anxious.

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known Member
Reaction score
scarface said:
Lol that’s what she told you
Lol jp
I don’t want a huge ford truck like the raptor but I also don’t want a fiat
I might get a sedan

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gala said:
Unless you buy HUGE tires or it's a dually truck lol
Honestly I get scared when I see vehicles like that in a drive thru or parking...makes me anxious.
My mother and sister in law feel the same way. They don't even like driving behind semis. I will never understand lol.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I chose my first car, I based it on safety and reliability. Then once I narrowed it down to 4-5 cars, i kept my eye on carmax for the next 3 months. I ended up getting a really good deal on a Toyota Rav4. Really low millage (16k) and limited package (meaning it has the V6 engine instead of just 4 cyl, has gps, sunroof, all the gadgets).

One thing I would advise is that even though u know you want a car asap, if you just wait a little you'll get a better deal on whatever car you chose. Don't chose from the first lot you see.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom