Getting My First Car

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,388
Reaction score
359
I’m sorry mods. I didn’t know where to post this but I wanted to share and I could use some tips Good night everyone.
I was not blessed or in a position to get my lisence or a car.
Welll I got my L on Friday.
I’ve been working for years n paying bills,helping others. including saving
Well I’m planning to get a used car since it’s my first
I’ve been looking online. I’ve got 14 cars saved to my notes but I’m all ears

* what cars are good for first time timers
*should I look for anything special while I’m looking
*does it take long to register or get car insurance
Any tips n comments will be helpful
TBH I want to start driving ASAP
 

shiv234

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,862
Reaction score
566
Experience
More than 10 years
I think TIIDAS are awesome.....JK JK....What is you styles of cars...I think a kia cerato might be good as a beginner's car.
 

MattS99

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
1,695
Experience
More than 10 years
Hondas are some of the most reliable cars out there. My first car (and the car I'm still driving) is a 2005 Honda Accord. It's pretty good
 

MikeRad89

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,116
Reaction score
1,524
Location
Rhode Island, USA
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hondas. If you give me a price range and you location I can send you links to good deals in your area.
 

wolfdog01

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
771
Experience
5 years
I love old vehicles, they're more reliable in my case. I have a 2000 Dodge Ram, and it's simple and easy, had it for about 3-4 years now, paid $1800 for it. Still running strong. No technology or wires. If you live somewhere where driving a truck could work, get a truck. Or just get a vehicle that is higher than a car, cause if you get into a wreck you're less likely to get as injured than if you were in a normal sized car.
They are a bit big but I have the half doors on the backseats so reversing is a breeze. Don't have all those supports blocking your view.
 

kayla.s

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,691
Reaction score
598
Location
South Africa
Experience
2 years
I have a 2005 Renault Clio as my first car, cheap and it goes well, also small so I don't have to stress too much about tight parking. Light on fuel too
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Ilovebarbslol

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,388
Reaction score
359
Your making me laugh shiv234

MattS99 nice. I’ve look at couple Honda’s,Kia,Nissan

MikeRad89
TBH since Its my first and I’m not picky
My plate is still full so
TBH I’m trying to spend 3000(I could go higher if I have too)
Teaneck NJ

Gala said:
I love old vehicles, they're more reliable in my case. I have a 2000 Dodge Ram, and it's simple and easy, had it for about 3-4 years now, paid $1800 for it. Still running strong. No technology or wires. If you live somewhere where driving a truck could work, get a truck. Or just get a vehicle that is higher than a car, cause if you get into a wreck you're less likely to get as injured than if you were in a normal sized car.
They are a bit big but I have the half doors on the backseats so reversing is a breeze. Don't have all those supports blocking your view.
Lol I agree I didn’t want to get something too small
1800 and it’s still running
Lol sounds good to me lol

kayla.s said:
I have a 2005 Renault Clio as my first car, cheap and it goes well, also small so I don't have to stress too much about tight parking. Light on fuel too
Lol I would like a small car cause I’m not good at parking yet lol. But I’ also don’t want to be too low
But I will check it out now online
 

aharonhakohen

Active Member
Member
Messages
307
Reaction score
126
Location
New Jersey
Experience
1 year
Insurance advice:

I am also in Jersey.

I have been driving for almost 25 years. I used to live in the south and had dirt cheap insurance. I have a perfect driving record, perfect credit, married, etc.

Moved up here, and my insurance went up 50%.

My point is, that if you have not done so already call a few insurances to get quotes on cars BEFORE you buy to make sure that you are budgeting properly your monthly expenses.

How old are you? If you are under 25, you will be paying higher rates.

My first car was a '84 Bonneville - v8. All steel bumper to bumper. It was a tank.
 

shiv234

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,862
Reaction score
566
Experience
More than 10 years
Ilovebarbslol said:
Lol I agree I didn’t want to get something too small
1800 and it’s still running
Lol sounds good to me lol



Lol I would like a small car cause I’m not good at parking yet lol. But I’ also don’t want to be too low
But I will check it out now online
Are you a girl?
 

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,415
Reaction score
6,730
Location
NJ
Experience
More than 10 years
Gala said:
I love old vehicles, they're more reliable in my case. I have a 2000 Dodge Ram, and it's simple and easy, had it for about 3-4 years now, paid $1800 for it. Still running strong. No technology or wires. If you live somewhere where driving a truck could work, get a truck. Or just get a vehicle that is higher than a car, cause if you get into a wreck you're less likely to get as injured than if you were in a normal sized car.
They are a bit big but I have the half doors on the backseats so reversing is a breeze. Don't have all those supports blocking your view.
This is so not true. Especially with older trucks and SUVs. They didn't have the same safety standards as passenger sedans so they are less safe. The only positive is that they weigh more so it helps a bit against a smaller car. And those supports might block your view a bit but protects the passenger safety zone during a rollover.



MattS99 nice. I’ve look at couple Honda’s,Kia,Nissan

MikeRad89
TBH since Its my first and I’m not picky
My plate is still full so
TBH I’m trying to spend 3000(I could go higher if I have too)
Teaneck NJ[/QUOTE]

Hondas aren't as reliable as they were in the 80's and 90's but still decent cars. I helped my nephew buy his first car ('99 Ford Ranger) that was within your budget. I'm in Joisey too. I'll keep an eye out for you. Craigslist and Cars.com are good places to look but you definitely want a PPI (pre-purchase inspection).

Insurance is crazy in NJ but has gotten better over the last decade or so. I would recommend just liability for a low priced vehicle. You can save the replacement cost in a couple of years.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Ilovebarbslol

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,388
Reaction score
359
aharonhakohen said:
Insurance advice:

I am also in Jersey.

I have been driving for almost 25 years. I used to live in the south and had dirt cheap insurance. I have a perfect driving record, perfect credit, married, etc.

Moved up here, and my insurance went up 50%.

My point is, that if you have not done so already call a few insurances to get quotes on cars BEFORE you buy to make sure that you are budgeting properly your monthly expenses.

How old are you? If you are under 25, you will be paying higher rates.
Thanks. I’ve heard it could be expensive.
I would start calling but I’m not sure what car I will purchase yet.
I recently turn 25 in November.
shiv234 said:
Are you a girl?
Naw
DarkOne said:
This is so not true. Especially with older trucks and SUVs. They didn't have the same safety standards as passenger sedans so they are less safe. The only positive is that they weigh more so it helps a bit against a smaller car. And those supports might block your view a bit but protects the passenger safety zone during a rollover.



Hondas aren't as reliable as they were in the 80's and 90's but still decent cars. I helped my nephew buy his first car ('99 Ford Ranger) that was within your budget. I'm in Joisey too. I'll keep an eye out for you. Craigslist and Cars.com are good places to look but you definitely want a PPI (pre-purchase inspection).

Insurance is crazy in NJ but has gotten better over the last decade or so. I would recommend just liability for a low priced vehicle. You can save the replacement cost in a couple of years.
thanks.
I’ve been looking on Craigslist n autotrader
Yes I will check the car out before I buy it. I’ll also be going with someone.
 

wolfdog01

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
771
Experience
5 years
DarkOne said:
This is so not true. Especially with older trucks and SUVs. They didn't have the same safety standards as passenger sedans so they are less safe. The only positive is that they weigh more so it helps a bit against a smaller car. And those supports might block your view a bit but protects the passenger safety zone during a rollover.
Well I can tell you that if my truck slammed head first into a small car, they'd probably be dead and I'd have a few broken bones. Our whole family drives trucks for that reason, and I think my truck is compact enough in the front with the suicide doors to be safe enough. Older trucks are just tougher in my opinion. My parents trucks are a 2012 Dodge and a 2016 Ford (plus like 3-5 Jeeps, depending on when he's buying/working/selling...mom hates it lol), my dad does all the work on them, he helped me pick out the truck and that was one of the things he pointed out.
 

shiv234

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,862
Reaction score
566
Experience
More than 10 years
Ilovebarbslol said:
Thanks. I’ve heard it could be expensive.
I would start calling but I’m not sure what car I will purchase yet.
I recently turn 25 in November.

Naw


thanks.
I’ve been looking on Craigslist n autotrader
Yes I will check the car out before I buy it. I’ll also be going with someone.
I was wondering since you said you aren't good with turning....I got nothing against people who can't drive but in my family the ladies can't drive to save their lives
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
Ilovebarbslol

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,388
Reaction score
359
Lol lol not turning!
Parking!
I’m not 100% good at parking yet
 

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,347
Reaction score
9,149
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't worry too much about the car size and parking. Get the car you want. Size really doesn't matter.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
Ilovebarbslol

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,388
Reaction score
359
What’s insurance going to be!
I know it all depends
But I’ll be able to spare couple bills a month
I’m thinking insurance should be like 1 something.
$150

Lol or it’s a lot more
 

wolfdog01

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
771
Experience
5 years
scarface said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the car size and parking. Get the car you want. Size really doesn't matter.
Unless you buy HUGE tires or it's a dually truck lol
Honestly I get scared when I see vehicles like that in a drive thru or parking...makes me anxious.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
Ilovebarbslol

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,388
Reaction score
359
scarface said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the car size and parking. Get the car you want. Size really doesn't matter.
Lol that’s what she told you
Lol jp
I don’t want a huge ford truck like the raptor but I also don’t want a fiat
I might get a sedan
 

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,347
Reaction score
9,149
Experience
Just started
Gala said:
Unless you buy HUGE tires or it's a dually truck lol
Honestly I get scared when I see vehicles like that in a drive thru or parking...makes me anxious.
My mother and sister in law feel the same way. They don't even like driving behind semis. I will never understand lol.
 

fjh

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,369
Reaction score
1,164
Location
OC, CA
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I chose my first car, I based it on safety and reliability. Then once I narrowed it down to 4-5 cars, I kept my eye on carmax for the next 3 months. I ended up getting a really good deal on a Toyota Rav4. Really low millage (16k) and limited package (meaning it has the V6 engine instead of just 4 cyl, has gps, sunroof, all the gadgets).

One thing I would advise is that even though u know you want a car asap, if you just wait a little you'll get a better deal on whatever car you chose. Don't chose from the first lot you see.
 

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,415
Reaction score
6,730
Location
NJ
Experience
More than 10 years
Gala said:
Well I can tell you that if my truck slammed head first into a small car, they'd probably be dead and I'd have a few broken bones. Our whole family drives trucks for that reason, and I think my truck is compact enough in the front with the suicide doors to be safe enough. Older trucks are just tougher in my opinion. My parents trucks are a 2012 Dodge and a 2016 Ford (plus like 3-5 Jeeps, depending on when he's buying/working/selling...mom hates it lol), my dad does all the work on them, he helped me pick out the truck and that was one of the things he pointed out.
Yeah but most cars on the road are trucks or SUVs now.

For the record, I drive a '10 Ford F150 with +1 size tires (33"). I've worked on my own cars and trucks for 30+ yrs. My BIL used to own an auto repair shop and I would borrow a bay to do major work on my vehicles, usually engine or suspension. I used to track a M3 years ago.

scarface said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the car size and parking. Get the car you want. Size really doesn't matter.
That's what guys with small cars say
 

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,347
Reaction score
9,149
Experience
Just started
Ilovebarbslol said:
Lol that’s what she told you
Lol jp
I don’t want a huge ford truck like the raptor but I also don’t want a fiat
I might get a sedan
Me neither. I prefer luxury cars. I like the comfort. But I drove fuel trucks, tankers, transports in the army. Makes little difference in my opinion.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #23
OP
Ilovebarbslol

Ilovebarbslol

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,388
Reaction score
359
Yes hopefully I get a good deal
I can’t manage to be car less for couple more months

That’s a good car you Have. Seems like fun to drive .
I agree,I basically want to safe n not worry about fixing things every other week.
 

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,347
Reaction score
9,149
Experience
Just started
DarkOne said:
Yeah but most cars on the road are trucks or SUVs now.

For the record, I drive a '10 Ford F150 with +1 size tires (33"). I've worked on my own cars and trucks for 30+ yrs. My BIL used to own an auto repair shop and I would borrow a bay to do major work on my vehicles, usually engine or suspension. I used to track a M3 years ago.


That's what guys with small cars say
Lol I deserved that. I should reread what I write before posting lol.
 

wolfdog01

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
771
Experience
5 years
DarkOne said:
Yeah but most cars on the road are trucks or SUVs now.

For the record, I drive a '10 Ford F150 with +1 size tires (33"). I've worked on my own cars and trucks for 30+ yrs. My BIL used to own an auto repair shop and I would borrow a bay to do major work on my vehicles, usually engine or suspension. I used to track a M3 years ago.
Pfft not where I live lol (or any big city) small cars must be cheap in my part of central Florida, the only people that I know who own trucks and SUVs down here are FFA/4H kids and anyone involved with livestock, even then my FFA advisor drove a car that was so low to the ground in the back from bags of feed over the years. It was pretty funny lol.

And that's awesome! Usually my dad just uses a cluttered garage and a lot of spare tools and jacks. The people at a few AutoZones know him now lol. I remember my mom said what first made her love him was the fact that he had an engine hanging from a tree since he didn't have anything else to lift it with lol.
 

BluMan1914

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,434
Reaction score
1,313
Location
Marietta, GA
Experience
More than 10 years
My suggestion is that you get yourself a used Toyota Camry. It's nothing to look at, bland and boring to drive.
Buuuuttt, they are well built, engine is rock solid, good gas mileage, should not be too expensive when you get insurance, plus they keep their resale value.
 

MattS99

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
1,695
Experience
More than 10 years
I mean, get what you want within reason.

This may sound incredibly stupid, but make sure the car feels good (to you) when you're driving it and make sure you're comfortable in it. Take it out for a test drive if you can. I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm driving I need the steering wheel to feel exactly right (in my own mind) to drive the car. I could've inherited a 2004ish AudI with really low milage for free but I couldn't stand the wheel.
 

aharonhakohen

Active Member
Member
Messages
307
Reaction score
126
Location
New Jersey
Experience
1 year
DarkOne said:
Yeah but most cars on the road are trucks or SUVs now.

For the record, I drive a '10 Ford F150 with +1 size tires (33"). I've worked on my own cars and trucks for 30+ yrs. My BIL used to own an auto repair shop and I would borrow a bay to do major work on my vehicles, usually engine or suspension. I used to track a M3 years ago.


That's what guys with small cars say
I drive a Ford E350 as my main vehicle (built like the F-series). My "fun" vehicle is my '96 Bronco (my profile pic). It's got a 4" lift with 33's

I am a good, cautious driver, but who knows if the guy next to me is. Nothing is full proof, but I definitely feel safer in a larger, mostly steel vehicle.

But with the OP's budget, I would definitely recommend a more traditional sedan, than a suv. You have to take in to account maintenance costs, as well. For a $3000 vehicle, I would estimate on average, spending around $300-500/year on maintenance. (i.e. alternator, starter, brakes, spark plugs, tires, etc.)
 

BluMan1914

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,434
Reaction score
1,313
Location
Marietta, GA
Experience
More than 10 years
MattS99 said:
could've inherited a 2004ish AudI with really low milage for free but I couldn't stand the wheel.
I would've jumped all over that. And if I ended up not wanting it, I would sell it. Win win.
 

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,415
Reaction score
6,730
Location
NJ
Experience
More than 10 years
BluMan1914 said:
My suggestion is that you get yourself a used Toyota Camry. It's nothing to look at, bland and boring to drive.
Buuuuttt, they are well built, engine is rock solid, good gas mileage, should not be too expensive when you get insurance, plus they keep their resale value.
I would agree. A Toyota or Honda in your price range would probably the least headache to own.

The only reason I have a pickup is because I used to race enduros (dirt bikes) and I was getting tired of hauling a trailer every weekend. I usually keep my vehicles for 6+ years so I always buy new. It's nice to have 4wd in the winters though.

Doing track events and autocrossing taught me to be aware of my surroundings and it turned into habits. I've never been in a car accident in 30+ yrs of driving (knock on wood).
 

MattS99

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
1,695
Experience
More than 10 years
BluMan1914 said:
I would've jumped all over that. And if I ended up not wanting it, I would sell it. Win win.
It's my grandfather's car and he loved it, I would never sell it on him. He's technically legally blind so he can't drive. He ended up just letting my grandmother keep it and they sold their Lexus.

There's also a long history of car theft/vandalism near my local high school and that car would have put a huge target on me.
 

HORNET1

Well Known
Member
Messages
659
Reaction score
1,122
Location
Holmes Beach, FL
Experience
5 years
Are you planning to finance or pay cash?

The Honda Civic is my recommendation. Insurance rates are reasonable and if properly maintained, the Civic can go for well over 250,000 miles without any issues. As one of the most popular cars in the world, spares are easy to come by and repairs are relatively affordable. And, being popular means that there is large aftermarket support for the car, so you can personalize your Civic to your liking for not a lot of money.
 

MattS99

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
1,695
Experience
More than 10 years
DarkOne said:
I would agree. A Toyota or Honda in your price range would probably the least headache to own.

The only reason I have a pickup is because I used to race enduros (dirt bikes) and I was getting tired of hauling a trailer every weekend. I usually keep my vehicles for 6+ years so I always buy new. It's nice to have 4wd in the winters though.

Doing track events and autocrossing taught me to be aware of my surroundings and it turned into habits. I've never been in a car accident in 30+ yrs of driving (knock on wood).
Lol. And I hit a freaking PARKED CAR on my first time driving alone. Of course their car was fine. I managed to rip off my front bumper...
 

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,415
Reaction score
6,730
Location
NJ
Experience
More than 10 years
MattS99 said:
Lol. And I hit a freaking PARKED CAR on my first time driving alone. Of course their car was fine. I managed to rip off my front bumper...
My dad would put me on his lap and let me drive when I was about 7 yrs old. When I got too big, I sat next to him ('70 Olds 98 with bench seat). When I was 11 yrs old, he took me to an empty parking lot and taught me how to drive. I started sneaking out the car at 12 yrs old.
 

MattS99

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
1,695
Experience
More than 10 years
DarkOne said:
My dad would put me on his lap and let me drive when I was about 7 yrs old. When I got too big, I sat next to him ('70 Olds 98 with bench seat). When I was 11 yrs old, he took me to an empty parking lot and taught me how to drive. I started sneaking out the car at 12 yrs old.
Yeah, that would've never happened for me lol.

I waited about 5 months after I was 16 to get my permit. My parents didn't want to pay for both twins at once and they flat-out told me they trusted my sister more to drive. Well, my sister failed her driving exam a few times and I ended up getting my license months before her anyway.
 

BluMan1914

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,434
Reaction score
1,313
Location
Marietta, GA
Experience
More than 10 years
MattS99 said:
And I hit a freaking PARKED CAR on my first time driving alone.
That's nothing.
My very first car was a brand spanking new, 1991 Plymouth Laser with only 10 miles on it when I pulled out of the dealership. I only had the car for a week, and someone that was drunk, on a bicycle, in the middle of the road, swerving, swerved head on to my car. Their body hit my hood, windshield, rolled over the top of the roof. The bicycle went over the hood, and onto my roof.
The worst part of it was that, I was at a red light and was helpless to do anything watch the guy actually turn tight into me, and hit me.
Well maybe that is not the worst part....my insurance went throw the roof, and they ended up paying him 10 grand. What did I get? Not a .... thing but a severely damaged car, and higher insurance.
 

aharonhakohen

Active Member
Member
Messages
307
Reaction score
126
Location
New Jersey
Experience
1 year
BluMan1914 said:
That's nothing.
My very first car was a brand spanking new, 1991 Plymouth Laser with only 10 miles on it when I pulled out of the dealership. I only had the car for a week, and someone that was drunk, on a bicycle, in the middle of the road, swerving, swerved head on to my car. Their body hit my hood, windshield, rolled over the top of the roof. The bicycle went over the hood, and onto my roof.
The worst part of it was that, I was at a red light and was helpless to do anything watch the guy actually turn tight into me, and hit me.
Well maybe that is not the worst part....my insurance went throw the roof, and they ended up paying him 10 grand. What did I get? Not a .... thing but a severely damaged car, and higher insurance.
5-spd or automatic?
 

MattS99

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
1,695
Experience
More than 10 years
BluMan1914 said:
That's nothing.
My very first car was a brand spanking new, 1991 Plymouth Laser with only 10 miles on it when I pulled out of the dealership. I only had the car for a week, and someone that was drunk, on a bicycle, in the middle of the road, swerving, swerved head on to my car. Their body hit my hood, windshield, rolled over the top of the roof. The bicycle went over the hood, and onto my roof.
The worst part of it was that, I was at a red light and was helpless to do anything watch the guy actually turn tight into me, and hit me.
Well maybe that is not the worst part....my insurance went throw the roof, and they ended up paying him 10 grand. What did I get? Not a .... thing but a severely damaged car, and higher insurance.
Now that's a tough break. I also laughed way harder than I probably should have. If Youtube was around back then I swear it would've been viral
 

BluMan1914

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,434
Reaction score
1,313
Location
Marietta, GA
Experience
More than 10 years
Automatic . I know, I know. I just shamed every person who owned a sports car. But in my defense, I never learned how to drive a stick. I tried once while in the Army....and that didn't work out too well. Don't ask.:banghead:
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
132
Guests online
2,086
Total visitors
2,218

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom