getting my blood red parrot cichlid today!! one question though!!

shaikelly

I'm super stoked my blood red parrot cichlid is coming home today! So I posted I while back about needing a centerpiece fish and someone suggested one and I officially love them. I did some research and, correct me if I'm wrong, I found that they are good community fish if tanked with fish of similar size and temperment. I also read that they like "dither fish." As long as they aren't too small to fit in the Blood Parrots mouth. I know how big their body gets, but my question is: How big do their mouths get? The smallest fish I have are my espeis, but I can put them in a different tank if they are essentially just going to be cichlid food.

bizaliz3

Parrots would have a hard time eating any healthy fish because they can't even close their mouths. Maybe if the fish were already dead they could suck it up or something. But I can't imagine them being able to eat a living healthy fish.

But I could be wrong.....

tyguy7760

Well blood parrots will and do eat fish. I had two juveniles in my tank for a few weeks and they ate one of my 2.5 inch kuhlI loach. EspeI rasboras are a bit small but should be able to live with blood parrots for a good long while. Though once they approach 5 or 6 inches (which will take years if you get them small) it is probably time to move them. I like to suggest full bodied tetras like lemon, black phantom, bleeding heart, or diamond tetras as good dither fish for blood parrots. They are full bodied and are too large for a parrot to take down.

I've seen pictures of blood parrots eating rummynose tetra and oto's so anything that is as big around as they are will eventually be fair game.

bizaliz3

wow tyguy7760 that's a bummer that one of your kuhlI loaches got eaten by the parrot. And those two parrots were not very big!!

Well I take it back then....I just couldn't picture a parrot being able to catch and eat a healthy fish....but I only have personal experience with dwarf parrots...they are smaller than normal blood parrots.....

Since they can't close their mouths all the way, I guess I just ASSUMED that there is no way they could catch a healthy fish and eat it. Shows what I know!! LOL

tyguy7760

I thought the same thing when I started looking into blood parrots. Then hampalong told me that the parrots would eat my kuhlis eventually. So I started doing some research and that's when I found s of them eating rummynose and otos.

I went ahead with my stock because, like you, my blood parrots were very small and thought my kuhli's would be fine. I had one very small very thin kuhlI that was very active and one that I would see all the time. One day I saw boogy (the slightly larger BP) chase him under a rock. I passed it off and then I never saw him again. I guess he could have died and been consumed but he seemed healthy and active. I've not found a body and searched pretty thoroughly. I have a prefilter so he couldn't have been in my prefilter. Then I started noticing that ALL of my kuhlis were hiding more. I had planned on moving the kuhlis when I got my wife's 20 gallon set up because I thought I had plenty of time...turns out I didn't.

EmmaH

I have 2 parrots. The male is about 4 in long and the female about 3 1/2. I keep them with black skirt tetras, and pictus catfish with no problems. They are more likely to chase eachother around, than go after the others. I've only had aggression from them when my female is spawning, and the worst she's done is knock a few scales off a black skirt. She's never eaten anyone.

I will admit they are much faster and agile than I thought they'd be. I wouldn't worry too much as long as the fish are too big/wide to fit in the parrots mouth.

Stolenheart

I only have my one (I believe female) blood parrot, and she's just settling in. I'm planning on adding some dither fish tonight (pearl danios, much bigger than her mouth for now at least). After reading this, I'm concerned. Since she's my only cichlid, will she focus aggression on my smaller fish?

tyguy7760

Probably not but at what temp are you keeping the tank? BP's like it in the high 70's and low 80's which is too warm for danios

Stolenheart

78 degrees. I keep finding differing information. :/ I was told by the pet store and saw on other websites that danios where good dithers for Parrots.

tyguy7760

giant danios are but regular danios are not. Parrots like water in the high 70's to low 80's. 78 would be the lowest I would keep them at. However that is too warm for danios as they prefer it around 75 or 76 or lower. I'd consider a different schooling fish for the parrot.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProtimAquatics
Replies
Views
RonJ
Replies
Views
New2fishlovinit
Replies
Views