Getting Frustrated And Ready To Give Up On This Tank

1. bettafanatic

bettafanatic Well Known Member Member

I've had my 29g for a while now and all it houses is one male Betta. This tank has given me nothing but problems with hair algae and I'm about to give up. I have only 4 plants in the tank now but would adding more plants help? I don't dose with anything as I'm assuming due to all the algae that it has enough nutrients in the water. I use a 6700k light that's about 3wpg for 6 hrs a day. I've already thrown all plants away and started over with the 4 in there now and it's come back wirh a vengeance. Any ideas what else I .can try? I've tried peroxide, I've tried daily pwc, cutting lights back, everything. I don't have this problem wirh my 55 or 75g so not sure what the problem is.

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Ok, seems like you've tried all the human ways lol. Try getting some Amano shrimp; they do wonders against hair algae. My friends 2.5g was overrun with it and we bought 3 of them, and in 2 days, it was all gone; you could see her Betta and plants again (and they worked overnight, so it was a nice surprise to see a lot of the algae cleaned when you woke up) Amanos get pretty large so they shouldn't be bothered by the Betta, but it'll be a good idea to provide some cover like moss or some PVC tubing for them to hide in if need be.

3. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I would try dosing some ferts. If algae is thriving and your plants aren't, chances are your plants are missing nutrients they need. What kind of plants do you have?

4. OP
    OP
    bettafanatic

Right now I only have scarlet temple plants in the tank and they are thriving. Bright red with good growth but sadly the hair algae is also thriving

The hair algae is everywhere the plants aren't but none on the plants. The last set of plants were covered and I couldn't get them clean hence throwing them out.

5. OP
    OP
    bettafanatic

I'll look into getting some amano shrimp but I was hoping to eventually put rcs in this tank. Would I still be able to have both types of shrimp?

6. KinsKicks

They'll be fine together. The only thing is that Amanos are bigger, so they'll be a bit more aggressive during feeding, so be sure to provide enough food for everyone

7. OP
    OP
    bettafanatic

Thanks!!! I'll look around online as my pet stores here don't sell amano shrimp but I'm definitely going to order some.

8. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

9. KinsKicks

BN plecos are more of a green and brown algae eater. Same with mystery snail. You might get lucky if a nerite snail will try it, but it's very rare for them to readily eat it, and they still might not touch even if it's the only thing in the tank

10. OP
    OP
    bettafanatic

In all honesty, I don't want a pleco. I've had one before and wasn't big on him so I ended up rehoming it. I had otos but they wouldn't touch it either so I moved them to my 55g with my other school of otos.

11. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Actually they eat more algae when they are young, but as they grow you need to start feeding them veggies steadily.