Getting fish online?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Catahoola, Jul 28, 2015.

1. C

Catahoola Valued Member Member

Where I am the fish selection is very slim. We have a very tiny PetCo and a very small aquarium store. I have a few basics in my tank (guppies and tetras) but am looking to get some more fish. Is ordering fish online humane and practicals? What are the best sites? I'm hoping to find a site that sells a variety of fish.Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

The big box stores and your LFS all have their stock shipped to them. More than likely. So as far as it being humane, it's as humane as keeping fish in a tank if you ask me. If you are looking for peaceful community fish, I would order from here.  
    They also have a great selection of more exotic fish too.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I dont really know of any good online sites to order fish from as I havent done it before. I like to see what I'm buying before I buy it. But stay away from LiveAquaria, several members have had bad experiences with them. Also, their minimum tank size requirements for many fish are liberal or incorrect.

4. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

5. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum. I have ordered a couple of plecos from Ebay. . One of them came from Imperial Tropicals in Lakeland Fla ant the other from a gentleman in Louisiana. You also need to look at shipping costs when ordering. A lot of members order fish on line. Most of the big box store pet chains don't carry that many different types of fish. Petco has a live fish for sale part of their site that you may be able to order from. Some of the stores will also special order fish for you. Alison

6. TypicalAqua

TypicalAqua New Member Member

Kijiji definety best prices and good quality

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh I forgot, you can check out Aquabid. It's like an Ebay for fish and aquatic plants.

8. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

I got plants from liveaquaria but I've yet to order fish online.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

The Wet Spot is a great place to order fish. Also private breeders. Fish are actually one of the few animals that it's very safe to ship through the mail, since they don't need food (or water lol) during the few days they're in shipping.

I just got a betta from some friends. He was stuck in the mail for over a week due to some stupid holdup at a post office in VA. He still arrived healthier than ever and has adjusted very well to my tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice