Getting driftwood to sink

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by petto, Dec 25, 2012.

1. p

petto Valued Member Member

hi there u got a big piece of drift wood from a fish store yesterday whent to put it in my 4ft tank and it floats!!! it wont sink so its been outside all nite in a water butt full of water just floating in it does anyone have any clues of how can get it to sink ?? thanks

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  2. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

One way is to try soaking it in boiling water to aid it in becoming water logged. Just use a rock or something to keep it submerged. Another way is to weight it down with rocks in the aquarium till it becomes water logged. The last way I know is to use stainless steel screws to attach pieces of slate to the bottom of the driftwood and hide those under the substrate.

3. OP
    OP
    p

thanks im gunna have to trie somet im not wasting it it cost me £20 lol and its for my gold nugget

4. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

I suggest to boil it for several hours keeping a eye on the water as it boils down. This will not only clean it up but it will water log the piece. Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    p

Thanks reefwelder I had to put it in a bucket and pured hot water from the kettle on it so it soaked it up and also whent into the bucked with it in then I put a big bag over it so the steam staid in and whent on the wood then I put it back out in the water butt full of water and but something on it to hold it under water it's too big to put on the cooker to boil it so had to do it tht way lol do you think it will har worked the same ???

6. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Driftwood it depends on what you get. Sometimes it don't matter what you do it will float for months. What I do is since my aquascape is all driftwood and rocks is I wedge it under a rock or another piece of driftwood that sinks. I still have a piece that floats in mine but it's under a rock and a sunk piece of driftwood. It's the piece on the bottom at the right side of the tank that run's more parallel with the gravel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  7. w

wolverined Valued Member Member

I have done the same thing as freak. Works the best IMO.

8. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

That piece in my tank still will float and I've had it in there over a month.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice