Getting Critical - HELP

1. booboo7336 Initiate Member

Been cyclling 26 gallon for 35 days and nitrates are 50 and nitrties are 1, ammonia been 0 for a week. Been using 6 tetras and 2 cory during cycle and am very concerned.

One of the tetras looks super fat but still eats, like it is prego. Tonight 3-4 of them seem to be swiiming real fast up and down, I know it's the water. What I have done so far is, changed filter cartridge one week ago (left 2 inch piece of old in it, it stunk so bad I had too), have done a few water changes, 30% last night with 1/2 gravel clean. Water looks dirty for last 3-4 days and I have used Amquel that Gunnie suggested once but it looks like it is for ammonia and I am good there.

Suggestions, like water changes back to back days, I am afraid I am losing fish. My water is ok out of the tap and I just can't control the nitrates and nitrites.

Helppppppppppppppppp.

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Keep up with the water changes, and work toward getting the nitrites below 1. The amquel plus should help with both the ammonia and nitrite levels. What are you using to test your water?

3. booboo7336 Initiate Member

Red Sea test kit and daily water changes and how much?

Thanks

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Try 25% and see if that helps. If not, bump it up to 30%. I've never used your type test kit, but as long as it's not test strips, it's probably a good one. Keep it up! ;)

5. booboo7336 Initiate Member

Gunnie,

Not going real good, cycling for about 40 days and readings are

Nitriates 10
    Nitrites .5
    Ammonia 0

Lost a pleco today and I still have foggy tank. Used Amquel a few times and have done 3 water changes in the last week about 25% each. Have had to change filter due to smell and have cleaned up some gravel in each water change. Still have some good bacteria I think but the 6 tetra still act weird like they are stressed and 2 cory's seem fine.

I have started a larger tank that cycled in about 3 weeks and it has been doing great. Water out of tap is good and am not sure what to do next.

Smaller tanks hard to cycle? Keep up water changes? Live plants help maybe (did that in other tank)?

Appreciate your help.

6. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure what's going on with that tank. I don't think it makes any difference what size tank you have when cycling. Can you borrow some of the filter media from your cycled tank?

7. rob2uk Member Member

I know you probably have been doing this, but...

you are dechlorinating the tap water, right?

8. booboo7336 Initiate Member

Yes I am

9. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

When you are changing the filter media, how much are you replacing at a time?