Getting Creative

BriBango
Hey everyone!

So I've been collecting rocks and wood to redecorate my 55 gallon tank pretty much all day! Having a blast

While getting my creative juices flowing, I was struck with what I think to be a fantastic idea...

Anchoring plants to a Marino ball!!

Anyone ever done it before? Can it be done? As soon as I start my aquarium makeovers there's no stopping me lol

My little brother even told me I was "like a small child " as I collected my sticks and rocks and put them in my bag

Bryangar
I’ve never done it, but I don't why it couldn’t be done. Probably when the moss ball get fully water logged and won't keep going to the surface then you can tie them or whatever your plan was

IHaveADogToo
I mean, algae anchors to marimo balls, so why not java fern?

BriBango
I’ve never done it, but I don't why it couldn’t be done. Probably when the moss ball get fully water logged and won't keep going to the surface then you can tie them or whatever your plan was
That's what I was thinking! I have my little 5.5 nano with 2 African dwarf frogs (Ralph & Lauren) with 3 moss balls (they sink), anubias nana, and some tiny java fern babies I plucked from the mama fern in my 55gallon.

I want to keep the babies in the front of the tank until they grow bigger. I eventually want them in the background but they won't get any light being so short because of my decor. Sooooo, I was thinking, tie them to the moss balls so I can move them around easier and won't have to uproot them and then if they out grow the tank, I can put them in my 55
1532417737629.jpg
1532417765562.jpg
1532417791015.jpg
1532417819490.jpg
1532417860108.jpg
1532418045575.jpg

BriBango
I mean, algae anchors to marimo balls, so why not java fern?
I think it would look really cool! I'm completely obsessed with (attempting lol) aquascaping

I really can't believe it never dawned on me before to collect my own tank decor from lakes in my area FOR FREE

Honestly the more authentic materials I put in my tank, the less I like the fake stuff I spent waaay to much money on at the pet stores! It's natural and free app much better!

IHaveADogToo
Have you been sanitizing things you collect from the outdoors before putting them in your tank? Be careful with that, because some types of rocks and other organic materials can actually mess with your tank’s pH and other parameters. Even if sanitized.

BriBango
Have you been sanitizing things you collect from the outdoors before putting them in your tank? Be careful with that, because some types of rocks and other organic materials can actually mess with your tank’s pH and other parameters. Even if sanitized.
Of course! I scrubs the rocks and boiled them.

I scrubbed the driftwood, let it sit in my tub submerged in water and bleach. Continued scrubbing in bleach solution, rinsed, rinsed, rinsed, then poured boiling water in the tub and let it soak in that for a while. Also used water conditioner.

I did my research before hand but it is my first time using stuff from outside. If you have any pointers I'd love to hear them

Also I collected from a reservoir so the water there isn't polluted and is really clean, so that's a plus

Bryangar
Some rocks do mess with your parameters but it’s not harmful. I’ve had luck with simply rinsing the rocks I find with the hose and putting them in.

That's what I was thinking! I have my little 5.5 nano with 2 African dwarf frogs (Ralph & Lauren) with 3 moss balls (they sink), anubias nana, and some tiny java fern babies I plucked from the mama fern in my 55gallon.

I want to keep the babies in the front of the tank until they grow bigger. I eventually want them in the background but they won't get any light being so short because of my decor. Sooooo, I was thinking, tie them to the moss balls so I can move them around easier and won't have to uproot them and then if they out grow the tank, I can put them in my 55 View attachment 459056View attachment 459057View attachment 459058View attachment 459059View attachment 459060View attachment 459061
Your tank looks awesome!! I made the mistake of buying unnatural looking decorations too. I eventually swapped to rocks.

BriBango
Some rocks do mess with your parameters but it’s not harmful. I’ve had luck with simply rinsing the rocks I find with the hose and putting them in.

Your tank looks awesome!! I made the mistake of buying unnatural looking decorations too. I eventually swapped to rocks.
Thank you! I eventually want to get rid of that teacup in my 5.5. Originally I bought it for my betta (rip Morrison) because it's smooth and I was worried about his fins getting caught on anything rough textured. The scale of the cup to the castle is so off lol but I needed more hiding places for my frogs.. but I ain't done yet lol (I'll never be)

I tried to buy the most natural looking fake stuff they had but compared to the real thing, it's not natural looking at all! Personally can't stand the rainbow substrate, plastic plants, and spongebob theme kind of aquariums. I want my fish to feel at home! Their aquarium is for them to live in, not me. Obviously I want it to look good but be beneficial as well

I originally went out just for driftwood because I recently found out it aids in digestion for plecos but ended up with a million rocks as well

Gypsy13
Thank you! I eventually want to get rid of that teacup in my 5.5. Originally I bought it for my betta (rip Morrison) because it's smooth and I was worried about his fins getting caught on anything rough textured. The scale of the cup to the castle is so off lol but I needed more hiding places for my frogs.. but I ain't done yet lol (I'll never be)

I tried to buy the most natural looking fake stuff they had but compared to the real thing, it's not natural looking at all! Personally can't stand the rainbow substrate, plastic plants, and spongebob theme kind of aquariums. I want my fish to feel at home! Their aquarium is for them to live in, not me. Obviously I want it to look good but be beneficial as well

I originally went out just for driftwood because I recently found out it aids in digestion for plecos but ended up with a million rocks as well

I love natural as well. I’ve gotten two pieces of driftwood so far. Hubby took both of them. So, I’m currently trying to find another. I have some cool rocks ready to go in. Cleaned them, checked with muriatic acid, cleaned the ones that passed that test. Boiled. Ready. Your tank sound beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us.

CanadianFishFan
"I'm just going to get one or two rocks from the river for the fish and geckos"
I came home with so many rocks that I tied my sweater into a bag and filled it full of rocks. My leopard geckos loves climbing on them and my crestie likes how cold they stay. The fish love to hide in them when I make caves and I love the natural look.... all for the price Free!!!
edit: its almost 2:30am Welcome to ruining my sleep schedule.

Bryangar

Oh no! Rip morrison..How did he pass?
Maybe trade out the cup for a bigger mountain shaped rock? to give the tank some height.

I live right next to dried up river so I have millions of rocks to choose from. but sometimes I don't even use any rocks. Here’s what one of my tank looks like.

Attachments

• 8622BE3F-9893-4A06-9AFF-5A6482C31C98.jpeg
    8622BE3F-9893-4A06-9AFF-5A6482C31C98.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 62
BriBango
I love natural as well. I’ve gotten two pieces of driftwood so far. Hubby took both of them. So, I’m currently trying to find another. I have some cool rocks ready to go in. Cleaned them, checked with muriatic acid, cleaned the ones that passed that test. Boiled. Ready. Your tank sound beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us.
Thank you! I really tried lol. He stole your wood I got my boyfriend into fish keeping as well, otherwise he would probably think I was a fish obsessed crazy lady (guilty) lol

What is the muriatic acid test?

BriBango
"I'm just going to get one or two rocks from the river for the fish and geckos"
I came home with so many rocks that I tied my sweater into a bag and filled it full of rocks. My leopard geckos loves climbing on them and my crestie likes how cold they stay. The fish love to hide in them when I make caves and I love the natural look.... all for the price Free!!!
edit: its almost 2:30am Welcome to ruining my sleep schedule.
exactly ! I love talking to people on here that share the same passion!

If it's for free, it's for me!

That's how it goes though, in life, the expensive stuff doesn't mean quality... just like GuccI slides

I'm not buying a $70piece of driftwood from the store when I can get a better one for free plus rocks.. my next exploration shall be plants

BriBango
Maybe trade out the cup for a bigger mountain shaped rock? to give the tank some height.

I live right next to dried up river so I have millions of rocks to choose from. but sometimes I don't even use any rocks. Here’s what one of my tank looks like.
So he was my fist fish I ever kept on my own (my mom used to keep fish) and he made it for pretty long time considering all my newb mistakes. He lived about a year and a half. I think he had swim bladder diesea even though he couldn't swim the same, he would still swim up to my fave every time he seen me. He used to open his mouth every time I said "whaddup " like he was saying it back he was really one of a kind I miss him a lot.

I was thinking the same thing with the rock and maybe making a little mound of substrate under it for dimension

Love a green planted tank moment! Beautiful!

Gypsy13

Show off.

Thank you! I really tried lol. He stole your wood I got my boyfriend into fish keeping as well, otherwise he would probably think I was a fish obsessed crazy lady (guilty) lol

What is the muriatic acid test?

Some people use vinegar. You put a few drops on the rock and if it bubbles you know the rock is reactive. You don’t want your rocks to bubble. Reactive rock is more porous and can be home to many nasties and leech stuff into the tank over time.

CanadianFishFan
Show off.

Some people use vinegar. You put a few drops on the rock and if it bubbles you know the rock is reactive. You don’t want your rocks to bubble. Reactive rock is more porous and can be home to many nasties and leech stuff into the tank over time.
Also if the rock breaks and scracths easily. bought home like a rock made out of sand.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Eienna
Replies
Views
Annie424
  • PhantomSlayer
  • Dog
Replies
Views
Mcasella