Getting crayfish

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by Sarah73, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Sarah73

Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

Okay so I am getting two pairs of orange dwarf Mexican crayfish. They are going in a 40gal breeder by them self. I would like to know if you guys have any experience with them and what the temp, pH, what to feed them, how many hiding places, etc.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

bizaliz3 raised the blue dwarf crayfish . Hopefully she can help you. Alison

3. OP
    OP
    Sarah73

I have never seen blue dwarf ones hmm.

4. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

That's a really nice size tank for four little dwarfs :) congrats they will be in heaven

I kept the orange ones and the blue ones. They are cute little things. I kept their temp around 78-80 degrees. They are little scavengers and will eat pretty much anything. But I like to give them Hikari crab cuisine. I like that brand.... and that food has nutrients for their shells

Just make sure to provide lots of hiding places for when they need to molt. And they will breed like rabbits if you've got males and females. However there's a good market for things like that on Craigslist because they are so unusual :)

The blue dwarfs are called cambarellus diminutus and they are usually more of a gray color. I selectively bred mine to be just as blue as the electric blue crayfish, however I think it ended up being their demise. Because I think I did too much inbreeding in the process and eventually they stopped breeding altogether. Lesson learned.

5. OP
    OP
    Sarah73

Hmm many sites say they should be in temps of 68-74. Also can I keep 2 makes together with 2 females or no? And can I keep small guppies in their?

6. katiemorrison94

katiemorrison94Valued MemberMember

They will eat the guppies the second you turn the lights off at night. I had a blue crayfish and a crab. I put feeder fish in their for them to eat and hunt. They both had plenty of hiding spaces and the crab had to get out of the water sometimes so he had a high place above the water. One night the crayfish just decided to eat him. They really need to be a species only tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Sarah73

They are dwarf crayfish. Regular crayfish will go after any fish when they are either hungry or if a fish gets to close to them.

8. bizaliz3

I've never seen a max of 74......many sites say as high as 77,78, or even 80 as the max. The range is very large though. The reason I kept mine on the high end is because they grow faster in warmer water and I wanted the babies to grow faster...

As for the male female ratio.... your tank is very large for little dwarfs... so I don't think you will have problems as long as there are lots of hiding spots.

I never kept fish with mine but they are small enough that I don't think they would be any danger to the guppies and I don't think the guppies would be any danger to them...

9. OP
    OP
    Sarah73

They are somewhat guppy baby fry. I think I will give them to the pet store, but I don't know. With guppies will they eat the crayfish babies? I will put the temp to 78:)

10. bizaliz3

They could....because dwarf crayfish babies are the size of bread crumbs. Lol but those baby crayfish are also very fast. And again.... if there's plenty of places for them to hide they should be ok. But I did keep mine species only...so I can't say for sure.

11. OP
    OP
    Sarah73

I will catch the fry next week because that's when the crayfish are coming. I will put a few new the 60, then give the rest to petco.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice