Getting closer... stocking new 20g

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ChristyFishMom, Aug 13, 2015.

1. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

Thanks so much for all of the help so far! We are getting closer to having an idea of what we want, with a few questions. It looks like we have to go with a 20 gallon right now, either high or long. We want:

6 corys, leopard or panda
    1 mystery snail
    6 fish for a school - cardinal tetras, black tetras, or white cloud minnows
    a couple guppies or possibly a dwarf gourami or even a colorful platy or two?

will that fit? should I go 20 high or long? are these fine together?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  2. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You should definitely go with a 20 Long, bigger footprint. They're on sale till the end of August at PetSmart for $23.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

Thanks for the tip on the price! I hadn't realized we had a Petsmart, but we do. Will the fish I mentioned above fit in a 20g long? a school of corys, a school of small fish, and a couple pretty ones?

4. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes they all should work. Usually you do 2 schools and a centerpiece fish in a 20 Long. :)

5. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

Ok good! That short size is just throwing me off a bit. I've been trying to look up pictures of 20g long tanks to see whats in there.

6. alirayFishlore VIPMember

You can keep more fish in a 20 long than a 20 regular because even though the water volume is the same, there is more surface area in the 20 long. The tetras and cory cats are schooling fish so six of each, the guppies, platys , and gourami are not. The gourami I would just do one. the guppies and platys as many or as few as you want. and if you just get males, you won't need to worry about babies. Have fun. Alison

7. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

There's no such thing as a 20 regular, it's either a 20 High or 20 Long. The 20 high is 24" in length whereas the Long is 30".

8. LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

I'm pretty sure aliray was just referring to the 20 high as a 20 regular.

20 high is generally inferior to 20 long since the reduced surface area is going to lower oxygenation in the water and provide less swimming space for the fish. Fish largely swim horizontally, not vertically.

Unless space is a constraint, you should always go with a 20 long.

9. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea I didn't mean to be rude. I actually see more 20 Longs being sold than 20 Highs tbh so shouldn't be too hard for the OP to track down, especially since she mentioned there's a Petsmart nearby.

10. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

We got a 20gallon long at Petsmart! Only I wasn't clear what the options were for lids, and they were really unhelpful. There was a glass thing for $20 and some expensive lights sold separately. I just want a plastic one that my kids won't risk breaking, one that has a light in it. Can I find that somewhere else?

11. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

12. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

Thanks, but I got a long.. 30" right? I'll take a look for one similar. I'm not growing plants, so that should be good.

Found it, thank you for the link, that helped me know what to search for.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice