Getting Brown Algae - Need Advice Question

Discussion in 'Water Parameters' started by Reefdweller, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Reefdweller

ReefdwellerValued MemberMember

Hey I have my 28 Gallon nano cycling now comin up on a week. I have a little brown algae forming and I am a bit shocked by this so soon. I use RO/DI water. Ph 8.2, Sal 21, cal 500, phos 2.0. Temp 84 (a little high I know but I may have to get a chiller for this) The only thing I can think of is the salt I used must have contained high phosphates because the phosphate is the only thing I see that is off. It really should be 0. Am I on the right track here with my thinking of am I way off?

Maybe I am running my lights too long.... I have been running them pretty much all day every day but regardless I need to get that phos down to 0.

What do you guys think? Normal cycling thing to see brown algae?

2. brodylane1122

brodylane1122Well Known MemberMember

It is probably just diatoms. They will go away after the tank is settled and established. Once tank is cycled, you can put some type of fish/invertebrate that likes to eat algae/diatoms.

For freshwater, a nerite snail is perfect! For saltwater, I don't have a clue.

3. llfish

llfishWell Known MemberMember

When my 55 was in the midst of cycling I first saw some brown algae..then I saw some hair algae that went away then I saw some lovely purple algae all in the course of a month. See the brown algae as a beginning to the end of your tank cycling. It is normal i do believe, but I am still newer at the saltwater aquarium I am sure other pros will chime in shortly.

4. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

Bump... Anyone else want to add anything? Am I on the right track with this brown algae so soon? Ryan? eh?

5. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

What salt mix are you using? Diatoms does mean the tank is cycling I had Diatoms for a month cuz of the cycle and some LR die off. Have you done any water changes and do u have protein skimmer? How long are the lights on and what type of set up are they?

6. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Most likely diatoms.

Did you use sand? what sort?

Diatoms are typically silicate and phosphate hungry.... lighting won't change much.

All perfectly normal for a new setup. I would not worry about it, annoying and unsightly = yes, but typically, once silicates dry up, diatoms disappear.

7. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

Hey there Jessi. I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals for my salt. I did do one water change last night of 30%. Keep in mind the tank has just been up and running for about a week and half now. I do not have a skimmer yet and plan to order it today. I have just been cutting my lights on of the morning 8 am ish and off at night 10 pm ish. They are led lights, dust/dawn, moon lights, and day light - all LED.

Ryan,

I want to say it was the Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Samoa Pink Reef Sand - 20 lb bags - 40 lbs total. It is for sure annoying ugh... I love a crystal clear tank thats for sure. I am trying to be patient I promise but you know how it can be.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
  8. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Could be phosphates and silicates.

If you get 'desperate' and can't wait - you can use RowaPhos to absorb the PO4 and silicates more quickly ;)

9. DiscusFanNew MemberMember

Well, check the nitrate level and control light exposure. Too much light creates algae problem ;:barf

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice