Getting Back into the Hobby and New to the Forum

SoCalFishGuy

Hi everyone,

I'm new to forum and I am getting back into the hobby after a few years of being out of it. I have had small tanks in the past 10g, 20g and have kept Neon Tetras, Zebra Danios, Emerald Cory Cats, Gourami, just to name a few.

I'm currently in the planning stages for a 29g tank. I want to try a species I've never kept before specifically Apistogramma Cacatouides. I apologize if it is not appropriate to ask questions straight out the gate on the introduction thread but I have a few. First I was wondering if Cardinal Tetras are good for cycling a tank? I plan to have a school of them after cycling so I'd rather use them to cycle than another fish if able to.

Also, I've been playing with aqadvisor and seeing what I could stock with my apisto and tetras. Currently, I'm thinking 1 apisto, 12 tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco. According to aqadvisor I'm at 72% stock, I was wondering if I could add a top dwelling fish like pencilfish or hatchets? Open to suggestions. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for your time! :)

StarGirl

We have some good info around here and we like pictures! ;)

esqueff

Sadly all I've heard is that tetras are not the best fish for cycling tanks. But if you do go ahead and try it I highly recommend you use tetra safe start. Many good things to be said about it here on the forum. I've used it once and had great results. Didn't have any fish losses and I started out with some barbs and neon's. They all survived just fine. From now on whenever I start new tanks or help others start tanks I use pieces of media from established tanks. If you know anyone who has a tank this is the best route to go and pretty much will give you an instant cycle if you do it right.

SoCalFishGuy

StarGirl15 said:
We have some good info around here and we like pictures! ;)
I'll make sure to provide some once I can get things going.

SoCalFishGuy

esqueff said:
Sadly all I've heard is that tetras are not the best fish for cycling tanks. But if you do go ahead and try it I highly recommend you use tetra safe start. Many good things to be said about it here on the forum. I've used it once and had great results. Didn't have any fish losses and I started out with some barbs and neon's. They all survived just fine. From now on whenever I start new tanks or help others start tanks I use pieces of media from established tanks. If you know anyone who has a tank this is the best route to go and pretty much will give you an instant cycle if you do it right.
Ah bummer. Oh well. Thanks for the insight. I don't want to put the tetras through the unneeded stress. I'll just have to find a fish that's good and that I would want to keep. I'll definitely look into the safe start. I was going to ask my local fish store if they would spare some media but then the world went crazy.

Top Bottom