Getting a used nano soon, some questions

1. N

Narsa Valued Member Member

I currently have five Neocaridina zhangjiajiensis and three nerite snails in a ~3.5 gallon tank. I'm going to buy an established 7.5 gallon Dennerle nano for them. The tank is already stocked with red cherry shrimps, green Caridina babaulti (around 20 shrimps alltogether according to the seller) and an apple snail.

So, my questions...

Are all these animals compatible? Is there enough space for all of them? Do shrimps really need an iodine substitute? Should I buy cuttlebone? Is it illegal to even own an apple snail in the EU? Dried, frozen or live algae?

Sorry for asking so much, my usual sources seem to be contradictory. Never owned these critters before.

2. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

I would be hesitant with putting the reds with the blues unless you don't mind them swapping to wild colors at some point, as the two neocardinias may cross breed. Safety would be ok, so it's just about keeping the lines pure for colors.

I have never used an iodine supplement for my shrimp, though I would be interested to hear other thoughts on this, as I have only been keeping shrimp for a few months.

I definitely recommend cuttlebone, extra calcium and inexpensive.

Not sure about laws regarding apple snails in the EU. Is the seller sure that it's an apple snail and not a mystery snail? Pics if possible. If it's an apple snail, it might end up needing a bigger tank honestly, as they can get really big. If it's a mystery, the tank size should be fine.

My snails and shrimp get whatever is growing in the tank plus a collection of fresh veggies and snail jello for food.

3. OP
    OP
    N

Thanks!

I don't mind crossbreeding. Three of my shrimp are already white. I'm pretty sure I'm going to feed excess babies to my fish anyway. Cruel, I know.

There's no pics of the snail available online anymore. It was all purple, both shell and foot. It was very big compared to the shrimp. I think both mystery snails and apple snails share the same common name, omenakotilo, in Finnish. It seems the most common species in Finland has indeed been the mystery snail :)

Many Pomacea species are forbidden to sell in pet stores in the EU because they might become invasive in the southern countries. Apparently private breeders can still sell them, but I'm not sure.

4. Bithimala

Well, compared to the shrimp, even my mysteries are pretty big. The apples are illegal a lot of places for exactly that reason, but a lot of people use the terms interchangeably.

5. OP
    OP
    N

The new tank arrived today. Here's a bad pic (I remembered wrong, the snail's foot was actually yellow) [​IMG]

Edit: One red cherry has moving yellow balls inside... Babies?

6. Bithimala

Looks really nice!

Light yellow not neon yellow/green, right? If so, then yes, babies! :)

7. OP
    OP
    N

One rcs is dead :-( I suspect it was weak after molting because there's an empty shell floating on the surface.

Here's a pic of the hopefully berried one:
    [​IMG]