getting a pleco. Help

1. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

i want to get a pleco but sites say i NEED driftwood (i have fake driftwood.. its more of a rock)it doesn't say why, so i would like to know why its needed or if i can use something else... and if it is needed do i need to let it sit in tank for awhile for stuff to grow on it before i get pleco...
    now that i think about it time doesn't matter because he be in QT...

oh and what kinda of plecos stay under 8" that are veggie eaters, ones ive been looking at say prefers "meat".

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not positive, but I think they suck on the wood, slowly eating it?

3. OP
    OP
    steed1172

cool... start out with a log that fills tank... 5 years later its neatly trimmed :D... jkin lol thanks, for ALL the tons of websites on plecos they describe and give water conditions not really care tips...

4. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

like pleco-created bonsai. You could sell it as aquatic art. :;laughing

5. OP
    OP
    steed1172

i can see it now on ebay- fish-made art, pleco carved driftwood $500.... but off topic lolz

6. k

kmb400 New Member Member

I've been told that plecos like to eat wood. I don't think they have to have wood. I have a healthy Bristlenose Pleco and I don't have wood in my tank. Come to think of it, I don't even have any algae. He gets algae wafers and is doing great.

:)kmb400

Speaking of Plecos, does anyone know if they eat the beneficial bacteria on sponge filters. If they do, isn't that bad for the sponge filter and the tank??:confused: kmb400

7. OP
    OP
    steed1172

well thats the wood issue cleared up.... as for choice of plecos im stumped a bit

8. Blethly

Blethly Valued Member Member

well many people say that driftwood is eccental for their digestion but i have a albino bristolnose who has done perfeclty fine without it. as for type i recommend a bristolnose. they rarely get over 5 inches with the females being smaller. and the males get very nice big "whiskers" on their faces. they are omnivorous but they prefer veggies and algea. i even move some of the decore from my other tank into his so he can clean it for me. works great!!

kmb400~ i'm 99% sure they don't eat the bacteria from the filter, just the algea that inevidably grows there. so the may acctually help keep it from becoming clogged :;th. tho i would be concernd if your talking about an adult common pleco they are so big that i would be worried it would rip up the sponge or tare it down by accident.

9. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I always make sure that my plecs have wood to chew on & they certainly do if it's provided for them. I've got several pieces that my plecs have worn big grooves in. Wether or not it is essential I don't know as I've never tried them without it. I have had plecs die from scraping the varnis/clear coat off ornaments before so that is something to watch out for.100% they do not eat any of the beneficial bacteria off sponge filters. They would scrape some off wood, rocks & other decor but that is only in thier quest for algae, they arn't targeting the bacteria.

As for Plecos under 8" there are Bristlenoses of various strains. I like the Peppermints. Apart from that there are: Lanceolate Whiptail (Rineloricaria Lanceolata) 4 1/2", Clown Plec (Peckoltia Arenaria) 4 1/2", Pretty Plec (Peckoltia Pulcher) 3", Blue-Eyed Plec (Panaque Suttoni) 8" also reported to 18" but that is incorrect to the best of my knowledge, Zebra Plec (Hypancistrus Zebra) 3", Cochliodon Catfish (Cochliodon Cochliodon) 5".

Here's link to a Plec ID page that may be helpful in putting faces to names: http://www.hippocampus-bildarchiv.com/db/eng/131/2/139/0/list.htm

From memory the site doesn't really have much info on the fish themselves but it is great for fish ID purposes.

10. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Plecos get lignan from wood to aid in digestion :) They can survive without it but much better with.
    Carol

11. F

Fano'fish New Member Member

I have a pleco, even did some reading about it on fish sites and never read anything about them needing wood. Just goes to show you learn something new everyday. My pleco seems to be fine, active, rich color, but I am going to get some wood so he can have optimal health.

12. Nutter

Good move. You only need a small piece. Even something the size of your thumb can be enough for them, though they do appreciate wood to hide in & around.

13. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

http://www.aquariumlife.net/articles/tropical-fish/128.asp#

Good morning. You may find the above link informative concerning Plecos. I have a common Pleco and it will get large. I bought him as a juvenile and he's now 8". I've never had driftwood in my tank and he's doing great! He loves a slice of zucchini every morning. (from the grocery store).

Nutter, I can't get your link to work in post #9
    Best of luck! I hope you can share some photos with us.
    Ken

14. Nutter

Sorry Ken, I usually check the link after I've posted to make sure it's working, I guess I must have forgotten this time. I fixed it so it's working now. Thanks for letting me know.:;thx

15. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks Nutter. No need to apologize. I've had that happen too. It seems like some things I have bookmarked will not work if I haven't used the link in a while. Once I visit the site I have linked then it works fine.
    Thanks again!
    Ken

16. OP
    OP
    steed1172

wow a lot of post for early in the morning!(at least my time) thanks for the pleco links!

and thank you butterfly, for what they get from the wood!