getting a new betta yay!

betta freak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I talked to my dad and he said I could get a new betta yay! I'm going to talk with someone to get a bowl as a summer home until I can get atank my neibor is going to get a bigger tank for his Oscar and ill buy the 15 from him with filter and all ;D

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
awsome! just rember that a bowl will need the water changed every day, or every other day at the least. I bet he will love his new 15 gallon tho! =D

betta freak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bowl water needs to be cleaned every week as not to kill too many bactria

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
betta freak said:
bowl water needs to be cleaned every week as not to kill too many bactria
if you do every week, you would need to change all the water. killing good bacteria is the least of your problems with small unfiltered tanks and bowls. if you don't change the water often enough, all the toxins that build-up can kill your fish. I change 50% of the water in my 1 1/2 gallon every day with no problems, and my betta is as happy as ever (tho I will admit that he's growing out ripped up fins)

betta freak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
my favorite betta site and fish lore say if you have an unfiltered bowl you need to do 100% water changes

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think 100% once a week would be ok, but I would do like 30-50% every day or every other day. that's just me tho. if you can, get some sort of water tester, like strips, or you could even go all fancy and get a liquid test, and test every day, and go by that.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's not a whole lot of beneficial bacteria in the water. It colonizes more on the substrate, walls and decor in the tank.
Bettas really need to be in a container big enough for a heater and a filter. Then you can do weekly water changes comfortably. As akari_32 said in a bowl you will need to do daily water changes and that can get monotonous. Bowls are not the ideal habitat for a betta.
Why not do lots of research on bettas and wait for the 15 gallon tank and get it cycled before getting a betta. You'll be glad you did and so will your Betta.
Here are some interesting topics
Carol

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to fishlore! If you don't want to wait for the 15 gallon, they sell 5 gallon tanks at Walmart for $29.77 (online, I don't know in store prices, but I'm sure they're close if not the same). I think the cheaper kit has about everything you need except a heater, although you may have to do something to reduce the current your filter produces, as I am not familiar with the filter that comes with the kit. If you get the kit and the filter is too strong, post a thread asking how to reduce filter flow and others that unlike myself have experience in that area would be glad to help you. There is a more expensive kit ($47.66 online) that includes a heater and I don't know what else, if anything. If your friend's tank is cycled, you could ask him for some used filter media, which should get the tank cycled faster. Then, if you still want the 15 gallon, you could get another betta, or divide the tank. Is the 15 gallon high or long? Bettas do much better in long tanks, as the must get to the top of the tank to breathe from the surface. PLEASE CYCLE FISHLESS!!! I cycled my 10 gallon with fish and didn't think that I needed to do water changes as often as I actually should have (every day until cycled). Unfortunately, I think this may have been the cause of some of my betta's ongoing health problems. I think it majorly stressed him and weakened his immune system, predisposing him to fin and eye problems. I will never make that mistake again. Please learn from my mistake and don't put your fish through that! Personally, I wouldn't even cycle with fish doing daily water changes. Also, please each section of this before purchasing your betta: Good luck with your fish!!! We'd love to see some photos of your fish & tank when you get them!!! ;D

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Butterfly said:
Here are some interesting topics
Carol
Oh, you already gave the link! My brain does not function well at this time of night!

betta freak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the 15 is already cycled I'm just waiting for my hiegbor to get a bigger tank for the Oscar so I can buy it.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My betta is in a 3 gal with a filter and heater, and while its cycling I HAVE to change 50% of the water every day because the ammonia gets above .25ppm in 24 hours (and prime only works for 24 hours). ANY ammount of ammonia in the water is potentially harmful, so if you wait a week for a bowl that is less than 3 gal your ammonia would get over 1ppm (and that is ALOT).

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think the most responsible thing to do would be to wait till you have the tank to buy the bettas. Then you could save up, divide the tank, and keep 2-3 bettas in it.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree, the ammonia builds up too quickly in a small bowl with no filter, the toxins your boy will produce build up. With only a weekly change when you have no filter, you leave the betta open to ammonia poisoning, which can kill them, if not, cause fin/eye/permanent damage to him. Do you really want to buy a new friend for him to die an early death after wallowing in his own muck?

Please think of the fish, if you keep him happy with 50% daily water changes (this halves the amount of ammonia in the bowl) using Prime, then the ammonia will remain detoxified for 24 hours until your next water change, and the fish will live a normal happy life with you without feeeling ill all the time with ammonia!!

Please remember the pics when you get him

bettalover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That is cool! My grandma got a new betta fish not that long ago named Berry. We got Berry because her last one died His name was Bubbles I miss him soooo much! I have a male betta at my house named Sun Fire I though he was dying but thankfully he is much better now. I have a 10 gallon for my 4 female bettas. But one was way to aggressive so I had to take her out now there are 3 female bettas in there. Hey but I don't know if the aggressive one was just a male plakat betta or not anyone know how to tell the difference?

bettalover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bettalover77 said:
That is cool! My grandma got a new betta fish not that long ago named Berry. We got Berry because her last one died His name was Bubbles I miss him soooo much! I have a male betta at my house named Sun Fire I though he was dying but thankfully he is much better now. I have a 10 gallon for my 4 female bettas. But one was way to aggressive so I had to take her out now there are 3 female bettas in there. Hey but I don't know if the aggressive one was just a male plakat betta or not anyone know how to tell the difference?

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Remember, not only do you have to worry about ammonia poisoning in small bowls, but anything less than 2 gal can not be heated properly. If you can not heat it then that small ammount of water will have rapid temp changes that could easily stress out your fish and cause diseases to set in such as ich and fin rot.

Please do not put your betta in a tank that can not be heated and filtered!

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
+1 to butterfly, kupcake, tigerfishy, heather m etc who recommend waiting for the 15 gallon.

It will save so much stress from ammonia etc buildups, temperature fluctuation etc and potential weakening of the immune system and even disease before you get the 15 g. Even if he has no disease when he gets to the 15 gallon, a weaker immune system could leave him prone to any nasties possibly lurking in the old tank. Also it will save a LOT of effort on your behalf having to do daily water changes!

He will also be stressed from the move from pet store cup to home, so best to liberate him straight to a nice, warm comfortable and cycled new home!!

I do realise the waiting is rotten though . Hold in there if you can!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
betta freak said:
the 15 is already cycled I'm just waiting for my hiegbor to get a bigger tank for the Oscar so I can buy it.
Is he going to give you the filter and gravel too? If not maybe he will give you a piece of the media to jump start your cycle.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads