Getting A Mouse/some Mice! Advice?

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi rodent people!

Ive always loved small animals. Ive had hedgehogs, chinchillas, and guinea pigs but I decided I want mice! Or one mouse! Idk

So I want a male and I know male mice can be agressive so is it better to house them alone altogether? Or should I find a place where I can ensure I'm getting littermates and get two?

Also, ive heard that males tend to develop anl stronger bond than females. If I have two male mice together, will they both still have a potential strong bond with me like they would if I had one male?

Thanks in advance for any help!

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMO getting 2 females is better. From my experience, you can really only have 1 male alone. If you put a male with a male, don't expect success.

Our female mice were plenty attached to us! They we very sweet and fun. I think that mice will bond with you just because, not because of their gender

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Male mice must be kept separate to avoid aggression. What species are you looking into also. Zebra mice are some of the most popular because they don't scent as much and therefore don't smell as bad.

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
RainBetta said:
IMO getting 2 females is better. From my experience, you can really only have 1 male alone. If you put a male with a male, don't expect success.

Our female mice were plenty attached to us! They we very sweet and fun. I think that mice will bond with you just because, not because of their gender
Ok! I'll spring for females.
I was just worried, I kept hearing that they won't be as attatched to you if they're girls or if they have a friend so a single male is best if you want them to be really attatched. But I also felt bad for him being on his own because I've also heard you should not keep any mouse alone if you can avoid it witch is why I wanted to get littermates.

I was hoping whatever mouse or mice I get to become so tame I could let them sit on my shoulder or in one if those carry pouches (a safe one, I promise) and be very handleable. Of course I will handle them often and do my part! But I just wanted to see if either gender was easier to bond with.

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
DutchAquarium said:
Male mice must be kept separate to avoid aggression. What species are you looking into also. Zebra mice are some of the most popular because they don't scent as much and therefore don't smell as bad.
I actually haven't thought about what species, honestly. I was going to just get whichever one or pair seemed friendliest.
I also dont know if any places around here have zebra mice but I will check!

What species should I look into getting?

Freshwater-Freshman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Check out the YouTuber CreekValleyCritters, I learned a lot from her mouse care videos and I definitely think a group of ladies would be easier!

caitlinemm

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you decide on male, only get one. If you decide on female then I'd get at least three.

Benefits of Male Mice:
  • Easier to socialize
  • More friendly/cuddly
Benefits of Female Mice:
  • Less smelly
  • You can keep more
  • More energetic
Habitat:
I highly suggest a bin cages because they are cheaper and easier to find an appropriate size of. You can get a 150 qt bin for ten dollars.
For substrate I would use a felt blanket because when cleaning you can easily just throw it in the laundry to get it clean again. They also love to dig in the layers. It's really cute.
Get them huts and cut up some old t shirts so they can nest
Always have a wheel and things to chew on. Just make sure the wheel isn't wire!!
The also love to climb so I suggest some vertical based toys as well.

Diet:
Their diet should be a base of oxbow mouse and young rat food.
throw some treats in and every once in awhile I like to throw in chopped carrots and a few other fresh vegetables, they love it and it gives them options

Overall I love having mice and I really think they make excellent beginner rodents.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom