getting a kitten :) tips?

Discussion in 'Cats' started by cheese, Jun 24, 2016.

1. c

cheese Valued Member Member

hi everyone :) I'm getting my first kitten...I've always been around cats and saw my mother care for them, but I know there are different ways to do everything, so I'd like to know...are there any tips for caring for a kitten/cat? anything you think I should know? I know fish keepers have completely varied feeding schedules for their fish, is this the same with cats? or do I feed it twice a day at the same time to schedule the kitty? any tips or product recommendations would be greatly appreciated :) thanks so much :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

@cheese I have 2 cats.. so here are my tips.
    1) Cats are insane. There is no way around it. They all have mental issues. ((in a good way usually)
    2) get a nice cat tower or scratching post. It will save your furniture..
    3) feeding is even more varied than fish. Some feed once a day. Some feed twice. I just have a feeder that holds a lot of food and my cats graze all day.
    4) get LOTS of toys... kittens LOVE to play. ((Laxer pointers are especially fun with cats))
    5) Get a high quality food. Just like fish, higher quality the better. It may be more expensive. But they eat a lot less. ((EX: at first I fed my 2 cats regular purina cat chow. They would go through a 10 pound bag in like a week to a week and a half. Switched to Blue Buffalo Wilderness. a 10 pound bag now lasts 2-3 weeks))
    6) Cats will get into anything and everything they can fit into and are great escape artists.
    7) ((This one is probably going to start a fight here)) Don't declaw your cat. I personally feel it's inhumane and also even if it's an inside only cat. There is always a chance of it getting out and you want it to be able to defend itself if it's attacked.

I'm sure there are tons more. But those are off the top of my head. Oh one more thing. cat's LOVE boxes.. any size they can fit in. It's not just an internet thing of a few cats..

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Cats can be picky about food. What I mean by that is now my cats will ONLY eat Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck. Had to get chicken once. Yeah that didn't work out so well for my carpets. They ate then threw it up to show their displeasure.

3. OP
    OP
    c

thanks for the response! all your answers were very helpful, I was thinking about the blue buffalo food being a better choice than a cheaper brand...I think that's what I'll go with now :) should I be feeding it soft food at all? I think I'll get one of the dishes you can fill with dry food and it despenses it as they eat so it holds more. :)
    I won't be declawing my kitty...I agree it's very inhumane! and it will be an inside only cat, but our dog got out once...thank god he just ran to the neighbors dog but I panicked...if the cat ever did escape I'd be praying for it to return safe and would want it to have the best chances of coming home...those chances are definitely slim for a declawed cat.
    and about cats being picky...I'll be getting some of its current food so I can slowly switch it over to whatever food I choose. :) hopefully she likes what I get for her :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  4. peregrine

The wet/dry cat food thing is almost as big of a debate as pellet vs flake for fish.. Most cats are just fine with just dry food, we use wet as a treat once in a while. If the kitten seams to be having issues eating it, you can put it in a bowl, mix with a little bit of water and it will soften up. Feeding only wet cat food can cause issues with their teeth and gums. Dry food removes tarter and buildup on the teeth.

Depending on the age of the kitten, the cat food switch may not matter. When we had the issue it was after like 7 years of them eating the same food.. I would say get the smallest bag possible and feed in a bowl at first that way if she doesn't seem to like the food you can try another.

If your kitten isn't spayed or neutered ((which it probably won't be)) when you get it. Get it done when you can.

And one final thing ((at least for now, and this is optional and dependent on where you are located and your financial situation)) I would advise if you have a petsmart near, getting their banfield plan, or see if your vet has something similarl It's basically health insurance for your cat. With Banfield I know it covers the spay/neuter, twice a year full physicals, office visits, vaccines, and lots of other benefits. I know there are other companies that do the same thing, just for us that one worked well.

5. OP
    OP
    c

thank you :) it's not spayed yet, I will be getting that done as soon as the vet says the kitty is old enough :) and good idea with the small bowl to start with I'm case I switch foods, thanks :)
    I'll definitely look into that plan and see what's available around me :) by the way...this is the kitty :) I believe she's a girl :) I'll have to get better pictures once she's here!

Attached Files:

6. peregrine

Cute kitten. Looks like one I had when I was a kid

7. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Also consider having the kitty microchipped. That will do more to get it home if it does get out. She is adorable. love her markings and colors. If you have a porch with decent lighting you can do what we do which is grow a catnip plant on our screened in front lani for Miss Kitty to snack on when she gets the urge . Spend lots of time playing with her, they grow up so fast. Alison:;hi1

8. OP
    OP
    c

I noticed you are in the USA, do you know of any plans like that available in Canada? or know of a member who might know? because that sounds like a really good idea and I'd like to look into that :)

9. peregrine

where in canada? eastern, central or western? I have several friends in the lovely tundra up north.. HAHA

and yes. microchipping is almost a must...

10. OP
    OP
    c

southwestern ontario :)

11. OP
    OP
    c

awh I should grow catnip! sorry I didn't even notice your response at first lol oops! I know, I'm worried she's going to be twice that size when I pick her up haha :) I will be getting her microchipped.
    thank you :) I fell in love with her...I wasn't planning on getting a kitten until I saw her and realized that she would just be an outdoor barn cat if I don't take her :)

12. OP
    OP
    c

quick question :) I'd like to start her on a high quality hard kitten food. would it be recommended to choose the brand I'll be choosing when I buy adult cat food? for example if I use the "performatrin ultra grain - free kitten recipe" can I switch to blue buffalo adult cat food when I switch to adult food? or would it be BEST to either buy blue buffalo kitten, then adult, or use the performatrin kitten food, then that same brands' adult cat food?
    and for wet food as a treat...should I use the same brand as my dry food, or just choose a good name brand and always buy the same brand soft food? or again, is it BEST to stick with all 1 brand? thanks :)

13. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I would go with the high prefomance kitten food. Blue buffalo is a good brand and then switch to the adult version over a few days. some of each and gradually reduce the kitten food. I don't think it matters what kind of wet food you feed as a treat . My cat I adopted from the animal shelter at 61/2 years old . I feed her different dry foods and she likes them all . We have had her over 2 years , she also gets treats which she demands a few times a day when we go in the kitchen for something. She does love her fresh catnip. Pet co sells them , just replant in a bigger pot. Another tip with a kitten is watch for chewing on electric wires, just like a puppy. Alison:;hi2

14. OP
    OP
    c

thanks :) I've actually been moving wires and taping cords down for a couple days now lol :)
    I will choose a high quality kitten food, as well as a high quality adult cat food. do you think it matters if I switch brands, like if I use blue buffalo kitten food, then another brand of high quality cat food for adult food? or would you recommend I choose the same brand for kitten food and cat food? or should I base that on how well the cat does on the brand of kitten food I choose? :)

15. peregrine

I would wait and see what she does best on. But sometimes cats will like the kitten food from one brand as a kitten and another as an adult. If you switch you already have a good understanding of the slowly switch...

Once you choose a way ((EG: lots of food let them graze or twice a day)) don't Switch, they will gorge themselves and make themselves sick from over eating. Had a friend living with us for a while who fed his cat twice a day and we had to be careful because she would get to our cats food and just eat until she threw up. and we had tried changing from grazing for our cats to twice a day and they gorged every tie we fed them. Cats are very much creatures of habit.

16. OP
    OP
    c

thanks so much :) I got her last night!!! I haven't gotten pictures yet but there will be lots soon! :):):)

17. OP
    OP
    c

hi again :) just another quick question, at what age should I be switching her from kitten food to adult cat food?

18. s

superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

At one year per my veterinary friends

19. peregrine

It should say on the bag approximate age tor the food.

20. s

superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Be careful not to over feed. Putting a fat cat on a dietnis hard! Pickiness is not tolerated in my house i buy whatever good brand is on sale in poultry flavors unless my dat one has been asked to lose weight then i switch to fish flavors because he doesn't like that flavor. Whatever you do if you don't eant to be wpken up every day do not feed the cat as soon as you get up! Better to have a specific time for breakfast. If your cat isn't a pig like mine is free choic feeding works for a lot of cats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice