getting a filter media cycled for quarantine

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by kellyiswicked, Jan 12, 2013.

1. kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

Hello all!
    I'm planning on getting new fish for my 36 gallon soon (either rummy-nose tetras or pygmy corys). I have a 5 gallon that used to house a betta, but now the filter has been without a food source for too long.

Here is my question: My currently running 36 gallon and 10 gallon each have a cycled filter media that I could use to instantly cycle the 5 gallon. My concern is that the tank I take the filter media from will then have to recycle. Is this true?

If so, is there any way I could get a second filter media cycled in one of the established tanks and then transfer it to the 5 gallon quarantine, without recycling the larger one? Or would it be quicker and simpler for me just to buy some Tetra Safe Start?

Thanks as always!

Edit: I have all power filters.

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

How long has the tank been fishless? I routinely leave my quarantine tanks running fishless for weeks at a time.

All you would need to do to reseed it, if you even have to, is take some media from another tank and put it in the filter. I can't imagine that you could take enough media for a 5 gallon filter that would cause a minicyle in your other tank.

3. kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

The tank has been fishless for approximately four weeks.

When you say take some media, do you mean filter media or something else? I'm a little confused haha

4. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Filter media I believe :)

5. kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

What exactly is the media you're both referring to then? The actual filter pad? Because in my mind, taking the whole filter pad would probably minicycle the tank haha I am obviously missing something!

6. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

Hi! :)

Filter media refers to anything that's in your filter growing bacteria. COuld be sponges, bioballs, ceramic cylinders, and even the pre filter pads. Say, for example, you have two or three sponges in your larger filter. If you were to take one of those sponges and put it in the smaller 5 gallon filter, you are transferring media. :)

Hope this helps!

7. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Not the whole filter pad. Can you cut some of it off? And then replace by adding more filter media to your bigger tank so that the bacteria from the old media can populate the new?

8. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Yep, if you only have one sponge, cutting a part of it off could be a possibility, wait for some others to chime in though as I am not an expert on seeding media for new tanks :)

9. kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

Okay this is starting to make more sense, thank you everyone for the replies.

However, I don't believe I have any sponges in my tank. I'm planning on getting a second filter for my 36 gallon, but right now I just have the one power filter that has a single filter pad in it. So I'm not sure there is any way for me to take part of it but not all.

In addition, I would be happy to hear any suggestions people have for filters - I'm also setting up a 55 gallon I have yet to purchase filters for. The only thing out of my price range is a canister filter, so I'm open to anything else.

10. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

11. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I think you may still have your cycle, if the bacteria colony on the media was well established. Still, all you would need to do is add a clipping from the filter pad of another filter, just to make sure.

12. kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

Joanna, thank you for that link, I did not realize they could be that inexpensive. I will definitely look into that for my 55 gallon!

Jaysee, that definitely helps my situation. The tank was well established before the betta's untimely death. I am going to clip some media from the current filter and add it to the 5 gallon and hope for the best!

Thank you all!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice