Getting a dog. Advice needed.

LeahsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Momgoose56 said:
NO! You ABSOLUTELY should NOT keep a puppy crated all day! That's cruelty too! I was a training assistant and trained ALL my dogs including the 7 rescues I've had AND my physical service dog. A 12 week old puppy that has never had any house training done will need to go out more often, at first, than every three hours until you know how long it can hold it's urine. It has never been expected to do that. So not only is his behavior untrained, his bladder is untrained as well! If you walked around and could urinate anytime the urge even slightly hit you, your bladder capacity would be very small too. Take the puppy out every hour at first. Keep the pup with you, on a leash or get gates and keep him in a confined area that is tiled or where urine won't damage anything.
Crate training is extremely useful and a crate should be a place your dog feels comfortable and safe. However, it needs to be done right or a crate can become a nightmare for you AND the dog. A crate should not be used as a 'holding cell' because it's inconvenient for you to pay attention to the puppys needs. And crating a dog should NEVER be used as a punishment. If you are home, a new puppy should be with you, on a leash or confined in the room within eyesight or within hearing all the time. Get the puppy used to being in the crate, getting treats and playing in the crate and spending gradually longer periods in it before you ever lock him in it overnight or for extended periods.
We start by confining the pups to one end of a tiled hall with gates and an open crate with their bed and some toys (including a chew toy) in it. They willingly sleep in it at night but are not confined in it at first. See picture-I am puppy sitting one of the 12 week old pups and don't have his crate but the bed is where his crate usually sits.
20191118_000609.jpg
He usually sleeps there but because he now knows that he can ask to go out to relive himself, and he is having no accidents in his 'privelege' areas, he gets to sleep in my room at night (a brand new 'privelege' starting tonight)-we'll see how it goes:
20191118_000457.jpg
During the day, the pups are confined to a large tiled family room with a door to outside. We have gates EVERYWHERE.
20191118_000438.jpg
20191118_000408.jpg
20191118_000351.jpg
Once a new dog or puppy has expanded his privelege areas throughout the house and no longer has accidents, the gates come down. I have never had to confine any of my many dogs in a crate at night or during the day when I was at work. They were all crate trained, but unless I was traveling, they just used the crate as a 'den' and a bed.
I agree with everything you said. When I say crate them all day, I mean when they are not eating, and playing, and interacting with the family. But, if a puppy’s time in a crate is “excessive,” that means the owners are not spending enough time with it... therefore, they need to get a cat, instead.

aquanerd14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Momgoose56 said:
NO! You ABSOLUTELY should NOT keep a puppy crated all day! That's cruelty too! I was a training assistant and trained ALL my dogs including the 7 rescues I've had AND my physical service dog. A 12 week old puppy that has never had any house training done will need to go out more often, at first, than every three hours until you know how long it can hold it's urine. It has never been expected to do that. So not only is his behavior untrained, his bladder is untrained as well! If you walked around and could urinate anytime the urge even slightly hit you, your bladder capacity would be very small too. Take the puppy out every hour at first. Keep the pup with you, on a leash or get gates and keep him in a confined area that is tiled or where urine won't damage anything.
Crate training is extremely useful and a crate should be a place your dog feels comfortable and safe. However, it needs to be done right or a crate can become a nightmare for you AND the dog. A crate should not be used as a 'holding cell' because it's inconvenient for you to pay attention to the puppys needs. And crating a dog should NEVER be used as a punishment. If you are home, a new puppy should be with you, on a leash or confined in the room within eyesight or within hearing all the time. Get the puppy used to being in the crate, getting treats and playing in the crate and spending gradually longer periods in it before you ever lock him in it overnight or for extended periods.
We start by confining the pups to one end of a tiled hall with gates and an open crate with their bed and some toys (including a chew toy) in it. They willingly sleep in it at night but are not confined in it at first. See picture-I am puppy sitting one of the 12 week old pups and don't have his crate but the bed is where his crate usually sits.
20191118_000609.jpg
He usually sleeps there but because he now knows that he can ask to go out to relive himself, and he is having no accidents in his 'privelege' areas, he gets to sleep in my room at night (a brand new 'privelege' starting tonight)-we'll see how it goes:
20191118_000457.jpg
During the day, the pups are confined to a large tiled family room with a door to outside. We have gates EVERYWHERE.
20191118_000438.jpg
20191118_000408.jpg
20191118_000351.jpg
Once a new dog or puppy has expanded his privelege areas throughout the house and no longer has accidents, the gates come down. I have never had to confine any of my many dogs in a crate at night or during the day when I was at work. They were all crate trained, but unless I was traveling, they just used the crate as a 'den' and a bed.
Makes sense. We are unable to put gates everywhere. So the crate will stay in the great room where everybody hangs out. When we give it treats, the treats will go in the kennel. One it is hanging out in the kennel and napping there, we can put it in the bedroom where it will be sleeping normally. What if the puppy takes a while to get used to the crate? We can't have it wandering the house at night. Should we keep it in a bedroom that has the door closed?

aquanerd14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We have been watching Brandon McMillan's show 'Lucky Dog' and I got his dog training book from the library. My family all really likes his style and techniques, so I think that is the way it will be trained. Thanks yall for the helpful tips.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
aquanerd14 said:
We have been watching Brandon McMillan's show 'Lucky Dog' and I got his dog training book from the library. My family all really likes his style and techniques, so I think that is the way it will be trained. Thanks yall for the helpful tips.
I looked him up and watched some videos, seems like a good choice!

aquanerd14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well we have had the puppy since last Friday. She is so beautiful. I will post some pics ASAP. She is also super smart. She learned the ’sit’ command within 24 hours. She hardly ever barks and is super chill. She spends at least have the day laying on the ground and sleeping. When it comes to playtime though, she is really fun. We are getting close to finishing house training.

LeahsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aquanerd14 said:
Well we have had the puppy since last Friday. She is so beautiful. I will post some pics ASAP. She is also super smart. She learned the ’sit’ command within 24 hours. She hardly ever barks and is super chill. She spends at least have the day laying on the ground and sleeping. When it comes to playtime though, she is really fun. We are getting close to finishing house training.
I need to see puppy photos!

aquanerd14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

LeahsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aquanerd14 said:
This is Remi. She is 14 weeks and weighs ~16 pounds.
Oh my gosh! How cute is she?!

lesley

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aww she is beautiful!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom