Getting a dog. Advice needed.

aquanerd14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My family is getting an English Shepherd puppy in the beginning of January. Right now i am pretty confused about feeding. I want to not spend a fortune on food, but also not feed garbage. I know most of the big bags of dry food are fully of starchy fillers, and the ones that aren't cost a fortune. I am wondering if there are any dry foods that are good, or even wet food. Or would it just be better to feed it raw vegetables and meats? I like this idea, but my mom does not wan't to have to cook for more members of the family.

Now for training. I understand that their goal is to help and please their owner(s). We will be getting it at 12 weeks old, about the time it becomes 'adolescent'. This is when they establish who is the leader of the pack and who are followers, so I know rough play is not advised until week 16 or 18. I think what I will do for the first several days is just let it roam the house and kinda follow it around, disciplining it based on what it does. I will not start actual training sessions until ~week 13. I think for training it to go outside we have a decent plan. If it poops in the house, we rub it's nose in it. My parents have experience doing this, and they say it works real fast. Any suggestions?

Once it becomes time for actual training sessions, I will just do it for like 30 seconds at a time throughout the day.

CrazedHoosier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Raw meat and veggies are always going to be superior, but it’s a very touchy diet. You can’t get it wrong or you can really put your dog’s health in danger.

Most high-quality foods are going to be expensive, and you have to be willing to spend the money if you want your dog to have a healthy, long life. Avoid the expensive dog foods that have vegetables as the first 5 ingredients, though. Those have recently been found to cause heart problems if used long-term. I use Eagle Pack’s lamb kibble coupled with Eagle Pack’s wet turkey. I avoid Science Diet, IAMs, Pedigree, Cesar, Purina, and Royal Canin.

The poop and nose rubbing thing, is obsolete and a bit abusive. It also just teaches your dog to be scared of you more than anything. A simple but firm “no” and a snap of your fingers if you see them pottying inside the house, is sufficient. Reinforce pottying outside by doing lots of “good doggy!!” whenever he/she goes potty outside. Follow that with treats.

Raising a puppy can be stressing, but the friend they become makes it all worth it. Don’t overthink things, and give lots of love.

Also, I find snapping your fingers whenever you want your dog to follow your command, really helps. After a long period of time, they’ll always respond to your snaps, and can usually assume what you want.

aquanerd14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks! That's all good to know. I actually just found the brand below.

Ollie | Healthier Food for a Healthier Dog

That house training part makes sense. Again, we will be getting it at 12 weeks from a very reliable breeder. It will be living with other ESs until we get it, so it should now parts of some basic stuff like 'don't bite' and the breeders keep their dogs near chickens, so that is also great (we have 9 chickens). Any other suggestions?

CrazedHoosier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aquanerd14 said:
Thanks! That's all good to know. I actually just found the brand below.

Ollie | Healthier Food for a Healthier Dog

That house training part makes sense. Again, we will be getting it at 12 weeks from a very reliable breeder. It will be living with other ESs until we get it, so it should now parts of some basic stuff like 'don't bite' and the breeders keep their dogs near chickens, so that is also great (we have 9 chickens). Any other suggestions?
I love chickens! Such cute/interesting animals.

The food brand sounds like a pretty safe bet!

Remember to also introduce your pup to as many new things as possible, as this will reduce their stress towards the general outside world a lot. Whenever my pup was scared of something, I’d always run up to the thing he was scared of with him to show him it’s good to face your fears, and to not be scared of anything. Well, anything non-deadly. Socialize him/her around people, kids, cats, dogs, the elderly, the disabled, and everything in between! In a few years you’ll find you have a mature, content dog that is able to handle itself while you’re gone.

The fact you’re willing to ask questions and do research, shows how responsible of an owner you are. It’s hard to go wrong with a dog when you have an owner like that!

MrFishkeeper1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would recommend using taste of the wild- Pacific Stream Canine Recipe and I would "mix" the food with Ancient Prarie Canine Recipe, I would feed that and also raw meat diet once a day. Now the first five ingredients for both of these do contain a lot of plant matter but combining it with a raw meat diet would be very good for your dog. If you hunt I would recommend using meat from the animal you hunt. However, some meat may not be "safe" for your dog but look into that. Otherwise, I would use Salmon, Lamb, or Turkey. Make sure to mix up the meat as some dogs can get "tired" of the same meat. Also if you want info on any dog breed to use Vetstreet, Dog Breeds List, or Top Dog Tips.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Sounds like a warm home it is going to :)

Can't really help you with the brands because I live across the big pond.

However, training wise..

#1: Be. Consistent.
#2: Be. Consistent.
Seriously. Whatever kind of dog you have and whatever kind of things you want to teach it, this is the most important quality to have as an owner. Unlike with kids, you cannot explain to your dog what reasons you may have for doing something or wanting it to do something. Unlike with lots of other pets, dogs have developed human-oriented social skills over many thousands of years. They are intelligent enough to pay close attention to their owners and actively look to you for guidance.
So the only way you can make clear what you want is by making it simple for your dog; there is rule A and B, and these rules always apply. I don't want behaviour C, so I never find behaviour C acceptable. If you want to differentiate a behaviour in two different circumstances (e.g. the dog can be on the couch sometimes, but not always) then get some kind of visual marker, make this very clear, and *always* apply it.
E.g. the dog can go on the couch when there is a plaid on it. If you choose to make such a differentiation, never allow the dog on the couch when the plaid is not on it, even if it seems like a hassle this one time, or the plaid is in the washing machine, or whatever. Too bad for fido, no plaid = no couch. This rule is extremely important for food as well. NEVER allow your dog to eat from a table or off a plate. If you want it to eat, say, the remnants of your dinner, then wait until the humans are all done eating, go over to the kitchen, put your leftovers in its food bowl, and then put it down in the usual spot for it to eat. This is how you keep a dog from begging behaviour. Moreover if you are 100% strict in teaching a dog that a table is no place for dogs, you can also calmly keep your large dog unsupervised near, say a coffee table with some biscuits on it.
As that example shows, this may sound a little harsh but it actually makes your relationship way more pleasant in the long run, because the dog 'gets' the rules and you never have to tell it off or deal with unwanted behaviour.
#3: Think about what your behaviour is like from your dog's perspective.
As I said, dogs are intelligent. Some dogs more so than others can anticipate commands and even adopt new rules with just a single demonstration. While this may seem handy, if you have this kind of dog, you also need to be aware that the dog cannot tell when you are or are not setting a rule, so any random behaviour from you can be interpreted as a new one.
For instance, if you call your dog by its name and it doesn't come, you are effectively teaching your dog to ignore its name. If you ask it to sit and it doesn't, and you ask again and then it does, you are teaching it that it only has to sit if you ask twice. If you ignore your dog's silently begging for a walk, but then when it starts scratching the door you hurriedly get up and walk it to prevent damage to your door, you *are* effectively teaching your dog to scratch the door when it wants to go for a walk (because that was effective!).
So be aware, especially when your dog is young and the household 'rules' are not yet established, that your dog is reading your behaviour for cues constantly, even if you are not acting that way with any intention. Ignore any and all unwanted behaviour, and only give the dog what it wants when it stops doing what you don't want it to do to prevent endorsing begging/scratching/whining/etc.
If you want to teach it certain commands, only do so when you know the dog is likely to listen. Otherwise you risk teaching your dog to ignore the commands. (E.g. only call a puppy to come to you when it is already running towards you, to teach it to associate that word with coming towards you).

#4: Quick doggy life hack. This is a frequent misunderstanding, but dogs are actually more sensitive to physical cues (hand gestures, postures, leaning, etc.) than they are to verbal commands (presumably because of the great amount of nonsensical chatter your dog has to filter out every day). Combine verbal commands with hand gestures, your dog will listen way faster and more consistently so (and how cool is it when you can make it do tricks just by making hand gestures). They pay immense attention to this, to the point where I can make my dog stay or follow depending on whether I step away with my left foot or right foot first. Things like snapping your fingers or tapping your foot (sit), showing your flat palm (down), slapping your thigh on the outside (heel) and clapping the front of your upper thighs (come) are some examples of simple, well-understood gestures. You can mix and match however you like. Herding dogs like yours are exceptionally quick to catch up on this.
Again though, consistently is the key here.

#5: Think about how you want to correct your dog when he does something wrong. Physical or harsh verbal punishment risks teaching the dog most of all (beyond the behaviour being undesired) that it gets punished if you get a hold of it afterwards. This can make it impossible for instance, to catch your dog when it has escaped or when it has something it is not allowed to have, or to keep it from swallowing something in its mouth. If the dog did not understand the behaviour was wrong, it may associate anything randomly correlated (like nearby objects, or whatever it is doing at the time you catch it afterwards) as the wrong behaviour, which can lead to anxiety and other bizarre problems (like your dog thinking it is not allowed in the living room, or near the TV, etc.).
This is also a matter of getting to know your dog though. Some dogs are sensitive and best not scolded (usually for these dogs, ignoring them for an hour has a better effect), other dogs may little devils that won't be impressed unless you let them know who's boss. Never correct from a place of anger or frustration though, also do so calmly and with a purpose in mind.
Not to say you can never correct your dog, but think about how you do it and what kind of message it sends. Never punish a dog that has run away and came back, for instance, or you will be teaching it that "coming back" is a bad thing (however frustrating that may be at the moment).

Oh and last but not least, since you've got quite a big dog - never allow yourself to be intimidated by your dog. It will know instantly and if has that kind of personality, immediately occupy that space that you've given up. You can check this regularly when your dog is still small by making small 'dominant' gestures (don't do this too often, just like 2-3 times a week) like occupying its space - is it sitting in a corner of the couch? Too bad, I want to sit there now. Linger/hover over the dog until it moves, or tell it to scoot over with a command. If it won't, physically push it away. If the dog gets mad at you (growling, snapping back at where you are pushing it), don't pull back your hand but tell it off with a short, sharp verbal command ("no" or "hey") and push it off the couch with some force - not to the side, but *off* the couch, on the ground, below you. If this reaction happens more occasionally, put the dog on its back by rolling it over and keep it there (gently) until it relaxes.
Another important one is to see if the dog accepts your touching its food bowl and moving its food bowl when you feed it. If it growls, see above. Don't let yourself get overruled (the pup is still small, so this is the moment to teach it rather than later), but tell the dog off and take the bowl.
(You can pre-emptively rule this behaviour out by teaching the dog to eat on command, but this may be a bit daunting for a first time owner as it can take a lot of patience in the beginning)
Not saying all dogs will do this, but this kind of thing is always a hazard with new owners of larger dogs. Too many people let their dog 'run the house', then are all mystified when it won't show respect for them later.

By the way, the #1 most effective way of getting your dog housetrained doesn't require any kind of correction at all and works from day #1 if you are consistent (see rule #1 above :D).
Feed your dog at set times of the day. For a puppy 3 to 4 times a small amount is best. Straight after your puppy finishes eating, put it in the yard (on a leash if it isn't fenced, otherwise just turn it loose) and watch for your puppy to do its thing - won't take long. Then while it does, praise your puppy and say a one word command (I use "pee" for both needs, but you can make up any word if you'd like to be less explicit). Then praise it enthusiastically.
If your puppy has slept for more than 20 minutes and wakes up, do the same - take it outside *immediately* and wait for it to do its thing. Repeat the command. Praise abundantly.
After two to three days, you will start to recognise the behaviour/stance of looking for a good spot to do their thing - use the command just a few seconds before they take their leak/dump. Then after about a few days to a week, the dog should have a good enough association that you can use the word as you put the puppy outside, it will understand what is expected of it, and look for a place to do its thing.

If you feed your dog at regular times, after its bladder has grown more than pea-sized (pun intended) it will have learnt to hold it until after the meal. Up to about 6 months though, it will still need to urinate noticably more frequently than an adult dog so pre-emptively put it outside after a long nap and just after a couple of hours (using your command at the door) if you don't feed it more than twice a day.
This command is really handy even when your dog is an adult if you need to go away for a long period of time or when you are travelling, because you have effectively taught your dog to empty its bladder and bowels on command.

As for the 'rubbing your dog's nose in it technique', most dogs that are not overly stressed or left indoors for far too much/long will teach themselves good toilet manners in time regardless of what you do. Nearly all dogs prefer a clean nest and so rather do their business outside than inside, if they have a choice. I strongly doubt that a dog will spontaneously understand from your pushing it into its poop that the lesson is "don't do this on my carpet" rather than say, "never defecate ever" or "if you ever drink from your bowl (or w/e the dog was doing when you spotted the mess and went to get it) I will rub your nose in poop!". Remember from what I wrote in the beginning that a dog cannot interpret the reasons you have for your actions, it can only try to judge by correlation and consistency what you want.

Hope some of that is useful! :3

Edit: Oh wow, what a wall of text. Sorry, hahaha xD I'm a tad too passionate about dogs.

Jakkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Everyone seems to have you covered on training, however if you're interested in Ollie dog food, also consider Honest Kitchen brand, I would go with one of the whole grain versions since grain free is being linked to heart problems. My dog does great on it the Whole Grain Chicken recipe. And whatever you choose with training, be consistent. That means everyone who comes in regular contact with the dog has to also be consistent with whatever you're doing. Good luck! Side note: puzzle toys are great for puppies!

Dunk2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
PascalKrypt said:
Congrats! Sounds like a warm home it is going to :)

Can't really help you with the brands because I live across the big pond.

However, training wise..

#1: Be. Consistent.
#2: Be. Consistent.
Seriously. Whatever kind of dog you have and whatever kind of things you want to teach it, this is the most important quality to have as an owner. Unlike with kids, you cannot explain to your dog what reasons you may have for doing something or wanting it to do something. Unlike with lots of other pets, dogs have developed human-oriented social skills over many thousands of years. They are intelligent enough to pay close attention to their owners and actively look to you for guidance.
So the only way you can make clear what you want is by making it simple for your dog; there is rule A and B, and these rules always apply. I don't want behaviour C, so I never find behaviour C acceptable. If you want to differentiate a behaviour in two different circumstances (e.g. the dog can be on the couch sometimes, but not always) then get some kind of visual marker, make this very clear, and *always* apply it.
E.g. the dog can go on the couch when there is a plaid on it. If you choose to make such a differentiation, never allow the dog on the couch when the plaid is not on it, even if it seems like a hassle this one time, or the plaid is in the washing machine, or whatever. Too bad for fido, no plaid = no couch. This rule is extremely important for food as well. NEVER allow your dog to eat from a table or off a plate. If you want it to eat, say, the remnants of your dinner, then wait until the humans are all done eating, go over to the kitchen, put your leftovers in its food bowl, and then put it down in the usual spot for it to eat. This is how you keep a dog from begging behaviour. Moreover if you are 100% strict in teaching a dog that a table is no place for dogs, you can also calmly keep your large dog unsupervised near, say a coffee table with some biscuits on it.
As that example shows, this may sound a little harsh but it actually makes your relationship way more pleasant in the long run, because the dog 'gets' the rules and you never have to tell it off or deal with unwanted behaviour.
#3: Think about what your behaviour is like from your dog's perspective.
As I said, dogs are intelligent. Some dogs more so than others can anticipate commands and even adopt new rules with just a single demonstration. While this may seem handy, if you have this kind of dog, you also need to be aware that the dog cannot tell when you are or are not setting a rule, so any random behaviour from you can be interpreted as a new one.
For instance, if you call your dog by its name and it doesn't come, you are effectively teaching your dog to ignore its name. If you ask it to sit and it doesn't, and you ask again and then it does, you are teaching it that it only has to sit if you ask twice. If you ignore your dog's silently begging for a walk, but then when it starts scratching the door you hurriedly get up and walk it to prevent damage to your door, you *are* effectively teaching your dog to scratch the door when it wants to go for a walk (because that was effective!).
So be aware, especially when your dog is young and the household 'rules' are not yet established, that your dog is reading your behaviour for cues constantly, even if you are not acting that way with any intention. Ignore any and all unwanted behaviour, and only give the dog what it wants when it stops doing what you don't want it to do to prevent endorsing begging/scratching/whining/etc.
If you want to teach it certain commands, only do so when you know the dog is likely to listen. Otherwise you risk teaching your dog to ignore the commands. (E.g. only call a puppy to come to you when it is already running towards you, to teach it to associate that word with coming towards you).

#4: Quick doggy life hack. This is a frequent misunderstanding, but dogs are actually more sensitive to physical cues (hand gestures, postures, leaning, etc.) than they are to verbal commands (presumably because of the great amount of nonsensical chatter your dog has to filter out every day). Combine verbal commands with hand gestures, your dog will listen way faster and more consistently so (and how cool is it when you can make it do tricks just by making hand gestures). They pay immense attention to this, to the point where I can make my dog stay or follow depending on whether I step away with my left foot or right foot first. Things like snapping your fingers or tapping your foot (sit), showing your flat palm (down), slapping your thigh on the outside (heel) and clapping the front of your upper thighs (come) are some examples of simple, well-understood gestures. You can mix and match however you like. Herding dogs like yours are exceptionally quick to catch up on this.
Again though, consistently is the key here.

#5: Think about how you want to correct your dog when he does something wrong. Physical or harsh verbal punishment risks teaching the dog most of all (beyond the behaviour being undesired) that it gets punished if you get a hold of it afterwards. This can make it impossible for instance, to catch your dog when it has escaped or when it has something it is not allowed to have, or to keep it from swallowing something in its mouth. If the dog did not understand the behaviour was wrong, it may associate anything randomly correlated (like nearby objects, or whatever it is doing at the time you catch it afterwards) as the wrong behaviour, which can lead to anxiety and other bizarre problems (like your dog thinking it is not allowed in the living room, or near the TV, etc.).
This is also a matter of getting to know your dog though. Some dogs are sensitive and best not scolded (usually for these dogs, ignoring them for an hour has a better effect), other dogs may little devils that won't be impressed unless you let them know who's boss. Never correct from a place of anger or frustration though, also do so calmly and with a purpose in mind.
Not to say you can never correct your dog, but think about how you do it and what kind of message it sends. Never punish a dog that has run away and came back, for instance, or you will be teaching it that "coming back" is a bad thing (however frustrating that may be at the moment).

Oh and last but not least, since you've got quite a big dog - never allow yourself to be intimidated by your dog. It will know instantly and if has that kind of personality, immediately occupy that space that you've given up. You can check this regularly when your dog is still small by making small 'dominant' gestures (don't do this too often, just like 2-3 times a week) like occupying its space - is it sitting in a corner of the couch? Too bad, I want to sit there now. Linger/hover over the dog until it moves, or tell it to scoot over with a command. If it won't, physically push it away. If the dog gets mad at you (growling, snapping back at where you are pushing it), don't pull back your hand but tell it off with a short, sharp verbal command ("no" or "hey") and push it off the couch with some force - not to the side, but *off* the couch, on the ground, below you. If this reaction happens more occasionally, put the dog on its back by rolling it over and keep it there (gently) until it relaxes.
Another important one is to see if the dog accepts your touching its food bowl and moving its food bowl when you feed it. If it growls, see above. Don't let yourself get overruled (the pup is still small, so this is the moment to teach it rather than later), but tell the dog off and take the bowl.
(You can pre-emptively rule this behaviour out by teaching the dog to eat on command, but this may be a bit daunting for a first time owner as it can take a lot of patience in the beginning)
Not saying all dogs will do this, but this kind of thing is always a hazard with new owners of larger dogs. Too many people let their dog 'run the house', then are all mystified when it won't show respect for them later.

By the way, the #1 most effective way of getting your dog housetrained doesn't require any kind of correction at all and works from day #1 if you are consistent (see rule #1 above :D).
Feed your dog at set times of the day. For a puppy 3 to 4 times a small amount is best. Straight after your puppy finishes eating, put it in the yard (on a leash if it isn't fenced, otherwise just turn it loose) and watch for your puppy to do its thing - won't take long. Then while it does, praise your puppy and say a one word command (I use "pee" for both needs, but you can make up any word if you'd like to be less explicit). Then praise it enthusiastically.
If your puppy has slept for more than 20 minutes and wakes up, do the same - take it outside *immediately* and wait for it to do its thing. Repeat the command. Praise abundantly.
After two to three days, you will start to recognise the behaviour/stance of looking for a good spot to do their thing - use the command just a few seconds before they take their leak/dump. Then after about a few days to a week, the dog should have a good enough association that you can use the word as you put the puppy outside, it will understand what is expected of it, and look for a place to do its thing.

If you feed your dog at regular times, after its bladder has grown more than pea-sized (pun intended) it will have learnt to hold it until after the meal. Up to about 6 months though, it will still need to urinate noticably more frequently than an adult dog so pre-emptively put it outside after a long nap and just after a couple of hours (using your command at the door) if you don't feed it more than twice a day.
This command is really handy even when your dog is an adult if you need to go away for a long period of time or when you are travelling, because you have effectively taught your dog to empty its bladder and bowels on command.

As for the 'rubbing your dog's nose in it technique', most dogs that are not overly stressed or left indoors for far too much/long will teach themselves good toilet manners in time regardless of what you do. Nearly all dogs prefer a clean nest and so rather do their business outside than inside, if they have a choice. I strongly doubt that a dog will spontaneously understand from your pushing it into its poop that the lesson is "don't do this on my carpet" rather than say, "never defecate ever" or "if you ever drink from your bowl (or w/e the dog was doing when you spotted the mess and went to get it) I will rub your nose in poop!". Remember from what I wrote in the beginning that a dog cannot interpret the reasons you have for your actions, it can only try to judge by correlation and consistency what you want.

Hope some of that is useful! :3

Edit: Oh wow, what a wall of text. Sorry, hahaha xD I'm a tad too passionate about dogs.
Well written! And consistent.

FitSoldier

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I backyard potty trained my Beagle named Ranger. I never did the "rub its nose in his/her poop" thing because it'll probably just confuse the dog. I never even said "no!" to the dog when he had an accident cause I don't think he would understand English lol

I just kept taking him to the backyard whenever I saw signs he needed to "go". Very quickly, around 3-4 months of age (I got him at 9 weeks old), he learned to scratch the door whenever he needed to use the washroom. Might not be as fast for every dog, but I got him used to it and he learned fast.

aquanerd14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@PascalKrypt, thanks to you especially I know feel very confident in the training part. Thank you all so much! I am just kinda concerned because my family members are all honkys, so if the dog met a black person after only meeting white people, would it react aggressively? I don't live in a very racially diverse part of the country either. I have looked into other dog foods to, and decided the Ollie brand is kinda spendy. This dog will eat ~30 lbs of food a month. Are any of these brands any good?

Purina Beyond Simply 9
Natural balance Ultra 1

Blue buffalo
Taste of The Wild

The purina stuff is the cheapest at ~$1 per pound, but it also has canola is the first ingredient, followed by chicken meal. Is this stuff acceptable? If not, the other stuff is all similar pricing. I think Taste of The Wild is the best quality, but I thought I'd ask first.

Another major concern I have is my grandparents dog. They live on the property with us, along with a 4 lbs multise. He is untrained, has many many many bad habits, and is a spoiled brat. He runs away whenever he is let out, he eats scraps off the table to. Would our dog learn bad habits from him?

CrazedHoosier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What does it mean to be honky? I’ve honestly never thought of race through a dog’s eyes, but I sort of doubt they care. They deal with different colored dogs all the time, so what’s the difference with humans?

I honestly would avoid Purina like the plague. They have such a bad reputation among the dog-keeping community. From carcinogens being found in their food, to their food causing premature death, Purina has suffered a lot of rumors. Blue Buffalo has suffered similar critiques, but I believe their ingredients are of higher quality, and they generally know what they’re doing. I don’t know about the others.

Yes, dogs are one of the most socially intricate animals on earth, so they’ll learn things from each other as well as you. It’s extremely hard to teach your dog to act a certain way when other dogs he/she is close to, are acting different. It’s in their nature to coordinate with the pack. You probably either shouldn’t expose your dog to the unruly dog while he displays these behaviors, or maybe should avoid the dog altogether. You can try to train him differently when they’re together, but it’ll really be difficult.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
aquanerd14 said:
my family members are all honkys, so if the dog met a black person after only meeting white people, would it react aggressively?
That made me crack up a little! :D No, dogs don't do racial profiling. However! (big however), as mentioned dogs are extremely sensitive to physical cues from their owners. If you (often subconsciously) meet someone you are hesitant or a teeny bit uncomfortable about or scared of, the dog will sense it - as you will do little things like shift ever so slightly to a defense/less open pose, tense up, hesitate in approaching, etc. - and he will react accordingly, which for some dogs is to also get nervous and for other dogs to get defense of you. This is most common reason why dogs can get aggressive seemingly 'out of nowhere' on the street, either due to your own body language or that of the person approaching you or passing by. Never pull on a leash and keep pressure 'preventatively' as this signals nervousness/tenseness to your dog that can translate in it wanting to lurch forward and get more aggressive. Instead just insist on it walking by your side (heel), keep the leash loose but still relatively short so you can reign it in quickly if necessary and if you are worried about a possible encounter block your dog from other people/dogs approaching by having it walk on the other side of you, like the inside of the sidewalk etc. I wouldn't be too worried though, as I think your dog breed is not really prone to these issues.
On the other hand, some dogs just don't like some people. The breeder of one of my dogs refused a buyer because the mother just really hated that man's guts for some reason, from the moment he set foot in the house (but was okay with his wife). She (the dog) is usually extremely friendly and an attention hog, so the breeder was worried about the dog's instincts. Well you never know, but just like some people just instinctively dislike some people so dogs do with other dogs and sometimes, other people. My smallest dog hates one of the kids we have over during the holidays, she won't allow the girl to pet her and always runs away when she comes near. Even though the other kids are okay and that one girl has no specific history of being bad with dogs. One time the girl lured her with a treat and then finally managed to pick her up. My little dog yelped like her life depended on it, I was across the room and thought someone had stepped on her! Immediately took her back, had to console the poor, disappointed girl. It happens.

aquanerd14 said:
Another major concern I have is my grandparents dog. They live on the property with us, along with a 4 lbs multise. He is untrained, has many many many bad habits, and is a spoiled brat. He runs away whenever he is let out, he eats scraps off the table to. Would our dog learn bad habits from him?
Yep, that happens with small lap dogs. If you have bad luck, he won't look kindly on that big fellow trying to take his golden spot (but he'll be put in his place since your dog gets way bigger). His behaviour won't 'rub off' but it can be a challenge to tell your dog not to do things the other dog is allowed to do. Same thing though, just be consistent and it will be okay. I would be more worried about the 'running away', you may not want to walk the dog of them together in the first crucial phase when your dog is still learning, as they do copy that kind of behaviour from each other. Dogs always dare to go further from their owners if they are with companions.
Just be wary of two things. First, jealousy. Since the lap dog will be allowed tasty snacks and indulgences that your dog won't, this could be a source of bad blood between them. Personally the biggest jealousy problems I have encountered have to do with placing though. The lap dog is allowed up high, which is a more dominant/superior position to being on the ground. This can trigger some instincts between the two dogs, with the way that goes depending on their personalities. Either the small dog can start feeling superior and try to exert that superiority on your dog (which again I wouldn't worry about, because yours gets way larger so not much competition there). On the other hand your dog may at some point decide to claim the smaller dog's spots for himself. I don't know if they would ever share a couch or living room, or an outdoor table set? This could spell some trouble. There is a balance to be had between allow the dog to have some claims of his own (he should be allowed to claim a chair and tell the other dog he can't sit there is there isn't space) and being a jerk about it (he should not be allowed to claim the whole couch if there is plenty of space left, or claim a chair but sit next to it and chase the other dog off when he tries to sit there).
The same goes for claiming of objects, in the beginning when your dog is young there may be some skirmishes over who gets to have a toy or a ball. You need to give them some space to sort this out, but don't allow either dog (especially yours that will be more powerful) to be a jerk about claiming stuff.

Edit: Oh, and you may want to really drill it through your grandparents' skull that they will have a problem if they start feeding your dog scraps off the table. Though dogs will adjust their behaviour depending on who is near them, it is very much possible for other people to ruin your dog's upbringing. Because they can ruin your consistency.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jakkie said:
Everyone seems to have you covered on training, however if you're interested in Ollie dog food, also consider Honest Kitchen brand, I would go with one of the whole grain versions since grain free is being linked to heart problems. My dog does great on it the Whole Grain Chicken recipe. And whatever you choose with training, be consistent. That means everyone who comes in regular contact with the dog has to also be consistent with whatever you're doing. Good luck! Side note: puzzle toys are great for puppies!
Absolutely 100% on all of this...with one add (which I may have missed because honestly TL;DR I skimmed the main points...but...
WALK your dog. On a leash, twice a day. It is the single most important thing you can do to bond with him, and research good walking technique, i.e. you walk the dog he does not walk you. This reinforces YOU as the leader every single day, gives him the exercise he needs, and best of all he gets to be with his person. I had the BEST dag following all of the above advice. Our dog would not eat a steak if you left it on the coffee table because he just never got people food and he always ate after us. He would not go on the furniture, or into the kids' rooms, and when someone knocked on the door he would bark once and then go into his crate and sit down. Regarding potty training, your puppy can wait about the number of months in age between potty breaks. 2 mos. = 2 hours between potty breaks, 6 mos. 6 hours... (to a point obviously but it's a good rule of thumb for puppies). If you follow that rule between potty breaks, you will probably not have any accidents. Our dog had one accident as a puppy. It's a lot of work at first, but it eliminates the need for even considering any kind of punishment for accidents (which you should never do).
There's an addage I love about potty training:
If your dog makes a mess in the house, take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself in the head with it because you weren't paying enough attention. :D

aquanerd14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Our grandparent live on the same 3 acres as us, but they live in what used to be the guest house, which is adjacent to the main house (where we are). They also travel very frequently, and the dog often goes to my grandpa's sister to be taken care of while they are away, so the don't really live together.
Also, let it be known I couldn't care less what the Multise thinks, as long as he doesn't get hurt. If he is insulted by the new dog, so be it.

aquanerd14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I have interpreted, from various sources, that dogs need to be socialized while still very young. Except of our dog is socialized with the Multise while very young, it might cause problems. What is the solution?

Magicpenny75 said:
Absolutely 100% on all of this...with one add (which I may have missed because honestly TL;DR I skimmed the main points...but...
WALK your dog. On a leash, twice a day. It is the single most important thing you can do to bond with him, and research good walking technique, i.e. you walk the dog he does not walk you. This reinforces YOU as the leader every single day, gives him the exercise he needs, and best of all he gets to be with his person. I had the BEST dag following all of the above advice. Our dog would not eat a steak if you left it on the coffee table because he just never got people food and he always ate after us. He would not go on the furniture, or into the kids' rooms, and when someone knocked on the door he would bark once and then go into his crate and sit down. Regarding potty training, your puppy can wait about the number of months in age between potty breaks. 2 mos. = 2 hours between potty breaks, 6 mos. 6 hours... (to a point obviously but it's a good rule of thumb for puppies). If you follow that rule between potty breaks, you will probably not have any accidents. Our dog had one accident as a puppy. It's a lot of work at first, but it eliminates the need for even considering any kind of punishment for accidents (which you should never do).
There's an addage I love about potty training:
If your dog makes a mess in the house, take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself in the head with it because you weren't paying enough attention. :D
Great info! Does that apply to the middle of the night though? When are puppies able to sleep through the night? Anything else that I am missing?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, I HAVE to rant a little here!
A lack of taurine in dog foods is what researchers have found was causing the dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs, some even at a young age. Eggs are high in taurine, so is red algae, so are some grains. Removing grains from dog foods contributed to the problem. Barley, wheat, sorghum, rye, and corn are all grains that wild canines and foxes will eat, in the wild. They get these grains by eating the stomach contents of their prey, or by outright 'grazing' on plants. I live in the Sonoran Desert and have spent a lot of time in this desert watching the wildlife Just on my street this week, there has been 2 piles of coyote poop (scat) I looked at that contained some of the unusual plants we have growing here. One pile contained mostly mesquite "beans" or the seeds from the native Mesquite trees here. These beans grow in pods (see picture) are very high in protein, and contain tons of trace nutrients and fiber! Native Americans used the ground these dried bean and used them as a flour for 'breads' and in soups and stews. Mesquite flour is sold locally here. My dogs all eat these beans and horses LOVE them. The 'sap' surrounding the fresh beans is very sweet.
20191115_095544.jpg

Mesquite bean and pod

The other pile of scat was almost all Hackberries, another native wild bush that grows here. See picture. Hack berries and seeds are also high in protein, vitamins and were also used by native Americans for medicinal purposes and as food.
20191115_095605.jpg

Hackberries on bush
I've watched foxes in Colorado, eat fresh corn off the stalks and coyotes gorge themselves on watermelon and knock over sorghum stalks to get at the sorghum.
Grain and vegetables aren't the problem. The balance of these nutrients available in commercial dog foods is the problem. All of my dogs have received commercial dog foods and not one of my dogs (7 rescues-in my lifetime) died of any illness caused by a nutritional deficiency. HOWEVER-all my dogs also got high quality protein (meat and eggs), fruits and vegetables, algae and seaweed, and fish (mostly skins and fins) in limited quantities in addition to commercial dogfoods. Two dogs were killed by cars (age 10&12), one dog died from lymphatic cancer (age 7), one dog died of disseminated Valley Fever (12), one of chronic pneumonia and lung damage acquired at birth (age 4), our long-haired mini dachshund died of old age (we rescued her at estimated age 1-2, and we had her 19 years!) My current dog, (a yellow lab) is healthy except for really bad hip dysplasia (age 14 1/2) I feed her, same as I did my other dogs, a high quality, meat based commercial dog food (first 3 ingredients meat and meat meal) peas, carrots, 1/2 cup of meat (chicken, beef, game or fish) and an egg every day. She also gets dried seaweed snacks an occasional algae wafer when I feed the fish (lol!) and seasonal fruits and she loves apples.
The problem isn't commercial dog food UNLESS that's the only thing your dog ever gets.
Okay, I'm done. I hope that rant helped @aquanerd14!

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
aquanerd14 said:
So I have interpreted, from various sources, that dogs need to be socialized while still very young. Except of our dog is socialized with the Multise while very young, it might cause problems. What is the solution?
Take your pup to a puppy class at a dog school. Seriously, this is the easiest way to socialise your dog (and if it is a good school, you get some pro tips as well).
If you can't do this, make a point of taking your puppy to a public park or some other place where you expect other dogs to be (but don't pick a dog park for a young puppy unless it has a designated area, not everyone is in full control of their sometimes huge and less-than-friendly large dogs and a bad experience at that age can cause lifelong problems).
Btw socialisation is not just about exposing your dog to other dogs, but also to other people. Dogs can have problems with strange people just as they can with strange dogs.

Edit: Also what @Momgoose56 said. All our puppies get lukewarm 'oatmeal' (it isn't oatmeal exactly, not an American product, but ground up whole grains that are used as a basis for baby food) with goat milk poured over their kibble once a day when young, up until about 6 months of age (then it becomes an ocassional treat). Other occasional treats include apple, pear, carrot, plain white rice and greek yoghurt, as well as pure beef heart and cooked, sliced beef every once in a while. Just don't feed your dog pork, or any kind of raw leek or onion-type vegetable.

CrazedHoosier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Momgoose56 said:
Okay, I HAVE to rant a little here!
A lack of taurine in dog foods is what researchers have found was causing the dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs, some even at a young age. Eggs are high in taurine, so is red algae, so are some grains. Removing grains from dog foods contributed to the problem. Barley, wheat, sorghum, rye, and corn are all grains that wild canines and foxes will eat, in the wild. They get these grains by eating the stomach contents of their prey, or by outright 'grazing' on plants. I live in the Sonoran Desert and have spent a lot of time in this desert watching the wildlife Just on my street this week, there has been 2 piles of coyote poop (scat) I looked at that contained some of the unusual plants we have growing here. One pile contained mostly mesquite "beans" or the seeds from the native Mesquite trees here. These beans grow in pods (see picture) are very high in protein, and contain tons of trace nutrients and fiber! Native Americans used the ground these dried bean and used them as a flour for 'breads' and in soups and stews. Mesquite flour is sold locally here. My dogs all eat these beans and horses LOVE them. The 'sap' surrounding the fresh beans is very sweet.
View attachment 636182
Mesquite bean and pod

The other pile of scat was almost all Hackberries, another native wild bush that grows here. See picture. Hack berries and seeds are also high in protein, vitamins and were also used by native Americans for medicinal purposes and as food.
View attachment 636183
Hackberries on bush
I've watched foxes in Colorado, eat fresh corn off the stalks and coyotes gorge themselves on watermelon and knock over sorghum stalks to get at the sorghum.
Grain and vegetables aren't the problem. The balance of these nutrients available in commercial dog foods is the problem. All of my dogs have received commercial dog foods and not one of my dogs (7 rescues-in my lifetime) died of any illness caused by a nutritional deficiency. HOWEVER-all my dogs also got high quality protein (meat and eggs), fruits and vegetables, algae and seaweed, and fish (mostly skins and fins) in limited quantities in addition to commercial dogfoods. Two dogs were killed by cars (age 10&12), one dog died from lymphatic cancer (age 7), one dog died of disseminated Valley Fever (12), one of chronic pneumonia and lung damage acquired at birth (age 4), our long-haired mini dachshund died of old age (we rescued her at estimated age 1-2, and we had her 19 years!) My current dog, (a yellow lab) is healthy except for really bad hip dysplasia (age 14 1/2) I feed her, same as I did my other dogs, a high quality, meat based commercial dog food (first 3 ingredients meat and meat meal) peas, carrots, 1/2 cup of meat (chicken, beef, game or fish) and an egg every day. She also gets dried seaweed snacks an occasional algae wafer when I feed the fish (lol!) and seasonal fruits and she loves apples.
The problem isn't commercial dog food UNLESS that's the only thing your dog ever gets.
Okay, I'm done. I hope that rant helped @aquanerd14!
Your base examples of foxes and coyotes, are a bit flawed. Foxes aren’t very closely related to dogs, and are in the genus vulpes. Coyotes are in the same genus, but aren’t a specialized predator like the gray wolf - which is where canis lupus familiaris comes from. I wouldn’t base a canis lupus diet off any other canid diet for that reason.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aquanerd14 said:

Great info! Does that apply to the middle of the night though? When are puppies able to sleep through the night? Anything else that I am missing?
We got up during the night as well to take our dog out when he was a puppy. I am also a strong believer in crate training, but I won't go into that here as it is a very controversial subject. But the idea with the scheduled breaks is to establish the habit of going to the bathroom outdoors, such that it never really occurs to them to do it inside. Again, as @PascalKrypt put it, consistency is key. Also, I meant to quote his/her post rather than the one that I did quote lol, but that one was also good.
If you have one dog already with bad manners, then the parents apply the same tactics to the new dog...yes, it will learn bad manners from its roommate. I wish you luck with your puppy. SHepherds of any kind are incredibly intelligent dogs that truly need to be "worked" and I would recommend obedience or obstacle course training/competition to keep that mind occupied. They can get really neurotic if they are bored.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom