Getting A Bit Discouraged

SLeroux

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've had my tank set up for about 5 - 6 months now and I can't get ride of this consuming brown algae or diatoms. I'm dealing with a very tall tank (2 ft) so I've recently upped my lighting with a second LED. I see everyone's picture on here of their gorgeous tanks and mine has never come close to looking that way up close. I add new plants or get new growth and within a couple weeks they are brown.

Everyone says it can take a year to go away but I really seems like I'm causing the problem. Any advise?
IMG_20180505_174424.jpg
IMG_20180505_174407.jpg
IMG_20180505_174354.jpg
IMG_20180505_175404.jpg
IMG_20180505_175414.jpg
IMG_20180505_175420.jpg

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would decrease lighting to 7 hrs a day. It's also very common to need to scrub rocks and wood free of algae once in a while with a tooth brush. However, the sign of algae growing on your plants might indicate your plant s aren't doing so well. Are you dosing ferts for the plants. If plants are healthy enough, they should deter algae growth.

SLeroux

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DutchAquarium said:
I would decrease lighting to 7 hrs a day. It's also very common to need to scrub rocks and wood free of algae once in a while with a tooth brush. However, the sign of algae growing on your plants might indicate your plant s aren't doing so well. Are you dosing ferts for the plants. If plants are healthy enough, they should deter algae growth.
Thanks! I had shortened my light schedule to three hours twice a day a while ago. I bought all new ferts this week (was dosing a multi purpose), so I now have micro, macro and liquid CO2, hopefully that will help?

capecodder

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I too have a tall tank and have been fighting algae for months....I've adjusted light timing, feeding, added more plants...still have algae. I belong to another group and they all say Excel is terrible for fish but then I read so many post of folks who use excel and it gets rid of the algae and their fish seem fine.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
capecodder said:
I too have a tall tank and have been fighting algae for months....I've adjusted light timing, feeding, added more plants...still have algae. I belong to another group and they all say Excel is terrible for fish but then I read so many post of folks who use excel and it gets rid of the algae and their fish seem fine.
I have been using Excel for years and never had a fish issue, even with delicate fish like glass cats. I suspect it is being blamed for other issues in said aquarium.

capecodder

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thunder_o_b said:
I have been using Excel for years and never had a fish issue, even with delicate fish like glass cats. I suspect it is being blamed for other issues in said aquarium.
do you use the excel for algae treatment?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom