getting a betta

alex5455

Reaction score
hi i have a spare 10 gallon that i cycled a few months ago and had white clouds in unitl a few days ago when the heater stck on in the morning and i was out all day so having replaced the heater i have decided to get a betta and just wanted some genral advice on them please all help greatly appreciated

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bettas are awesome fish to have, and fairly easy to keep, I have 2 males & 2 females. You can see their pics here:
Get a good betta food, Atison's Betta Pro, or Hikari Betta Bio Gold, I use Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets for my females b/c their mouths are small. Feed 1/2 of a thawed frozen pea, shell removed and pea cut into small tiny pieces 1 to 2 times a week. I am glad to hear that the tank is cycled-- this is a must to prevent fin rot. I keep my bettas at 80-82 degrees. Keep some meds on hand b/c fin rot can creep up overnight sometimes, and if a betta gets sick they need meds right away-- Lots of people here use Marycin I & Marycin II.
Bettas like to have plants to sleep on and places to hide.
And of course-- 1 betta per tank, unless you use a divider.

LOTS of LUCK-- ask us as many questions as you like!

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There is some info to get you started here:

The pea treats are important but I wouldn't feed half a pea. It's too much. I feed 2 tiny pieces, the size of half their eye. That is the size of their stomachs. Even at this tiny amount I find Lava's belly gets REALLY big and bloated for a while until he digests. I think half a pea would make him explode! ;D I generally only need one large pea for all 7 of my Bettas.
Welcome to the forum! I hope you let us know when you get your Betta. There is always a lot of info and help here.

alex5455

Reaction score
thanks for the help i didnt know you had to feed them peas ill be getting him in a few days

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, they can get constipated very easily and it can kill them. Pellets should be soaked and given after they've softened if possible. No more than 2 at a time, 3 times a day. The dry food goes through their system so fast sometimes it doesn't expand until it in is the intestine and this can cause fatal blockage. Soaking them helps prevent this and peas act as a laxative to clean them out a couple times a week and keep them healthy.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah I guess I wasn't thinkin. I don't even use a whole pea for all 4 of mine, I was just trying to think of a fraction! Glad you cleared that up-- thanks

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We like to give our Bettas a variety of foods: betta flakes with brine shrimp, betta pellets, color pellets, vitamin pellets, freeze-dried daphnia, freeze-dried bloodworms and the frozen peas, thawed & minced.

Get some Fungus Clear, Maracyn and Maracyn-2 for meds when you get the chance. Seems like the biggest thing we deal with is fin rot.

When you pick out decorations, only get things that wouldn't snag pantyhose anywhere on the decoration.

You're in for a great time.. bettas are such fun fish and each has a unique personality.

alex5455

Reaction score
would i be able to let female guppys birth in this tank or would the betta eat all the fry? thanks

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
guppies tend to not be the best tankmates for bettas. the betta would eat any fry he could catch.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
basically if it will fit in his mouth he will eat it.  Female and male guppies eat their own fry as well.

alex5455

Reaction score
ok thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom