Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Warning: TL;DR post. Like most of mine.
My older sister is upgrading her reef tank from two separate 90 gallon tanks to a 300. She's gifting me her marineland 93 gallon cube, complete with all the equipment. Now I must say - NOT GOING SALTY AGAIN - gotta keep it fresh...I can't spend that much time on maintenance as a reef requires and I don't have the budget for automating equipment.
So that being said, I'm in the planning stages, as it will likely be April before the thing is in my house, and possibly will need a new stand. My sister is physically disabled and her husband already takes care of ten acres, six horses, four dogs and both current aquariums. So cleaning inside the stand hasn't really been a thing and the salt buildup is bananas.
So here are the options I'm currently considering. Prime directive is to do whatever I do RIGHT and not kluge together a mess like I currently have in my 75.
Opt. 1: The Budget Plan
- Move everything over from the 75 except the gravel. Invest in a proper substrate, and use one of the insanely bright lights I just took OFF the 75 (overkill to the max) to light it, and have a properly lit, properly planted tank with all my current fish (angels, tetras, rainbow shark, BRP, etc.) and take the convicts back to the store.
- Leave the large pebbles in the 75 and get some fancy goldfish because they are the sweetest :).
This would eliminate the need to keep another heater on an already crowded circuit in my living room, and the only money I'd need to spend would be the purchase of the goldfish.

Opt. 2: Africa here I come
- a 93 gallon could hold a few Peacocks, I believe!
I've always wanted to try African cichlids, but my first attempt was in too small of a tank with the wrong substrate and a really poorly matched selection of mbuna fish, resulting in everyone hiding 90% of the time, and ultimately being given away. I've since decided that I love peacocks the best - so many colors - and might want to try that again now that I am more familiar with their needs.

Opt. 3: Large peaceful community
- Sort of tired of aggression. Thinking a nice big tank full of a ton of tetras, rasboras and cory cats and maybe a big male pearl gourami as the star. It'd be nice to watch a tank where things aren't being chased all the time. Of course this is a great example of my fickle nature and likely need for therapy, because it's exactly the opposite of the previous idea. Do I satisfy my eyes or my need for calm in a world that always seems to NEED something from me?

If you've made it this far, dear reader, you have my gratitude. Which one would you choose?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like a nice tank. I've kept so many different varieties of fish over the years, from Marine to Discus, even some really big ones, such as Festae.
By far my most favorite has been an all male, mixed African Cichlid community.
I also like the Peacocks, and keep several but also like the Haps, like the Nimbochromis Fuscotaeniatus and Mbuna, such as the Zebra Chilumba.
All three species groups get along pretty well.
All thats needed is a well planned Limestone Hardscape w/ good filtration. It offers a good challenge.
20200201_103001.jpg
20191210_053503.jpg
20190504_211331.jpg

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A201 said:
Sounds like a nice tank. I've kept so many different varieties of fish over the years, from Marine to Discus, even some really big ones, such as Festae.
By far my most favorite has been an all male, mixed African Cichlid community.
I also like the Peacocks, and keep several but also like the Haps, like the Nimbochromis Fuscotaeniatus and Mbuna, such as the Zebra Chilumba.
All three species groups get along pretty well.
All thats needed is a well planned Limestone Hardscape w/ good filtration. It offers a good challenge.
20200201_103001.jpg
20191210_053503.jpg
20190504_211331.jpg
Thank you for that! I figured on re-using the sump and filling it with some poret foam and possibly employing some pothos and a shop light underneath to help out. I love your photos - thank you for sharing!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like the peaceful tank myself .
It is part of not having other issues IMO .
93g cube is a nice tank ..Lots of scaping area whether you go planted peaceful or rocks and Africans .
I have done all the groups like you . I try to make 5 year plans for my 180 ..
My 180 when it was African [Tangs] Maybe 300lbs of field stone .
1581690392670.png

Planted community
1581690474745.png

The rocks really are pretty easy to care for ..

CoryFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would go the peaceful route and get like 20 corries, and at least a trio of pearl gouramis and tons of schooling fish

goldfishbeginner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maybe you can combine your budget plan with the large peaceful community idea.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Since I really want to set up an African tank, I voted for that.
I was in my one LFS a month or so ago and they had a tank of haps and peacocks. So colorful!!

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coralbandit said:
I like the peaceful tank myself .
It is part of not having other issues IMO .
93g cube is a nice tank ..Lots of scaping area whether you go planted peaceful or rocks and Africans .
I have done all the groups like you . I try to make 5 year plans for my 180 ..
My 180 when it was African [Tangs] Maybe 300lbs of field stone .

Planted community

The rocks really are pretty easy to care for ..
Did you have a preference between the two? Did you look at the second and wish for the first? I feel like I am scape-challenged. Part of it is I'm cheap and don't want to pay $60 for a plastic log and too lazy go find my own lol. Yours both looked great. Did your Africans hide a lot?

goldfishbeginner said:
Maybe you can combine your budget plan with the large peaceful community idea.
That's an idea true... if i got rid of the mean, aggressive, annoying, bad tempered convict cichlids my tank would be pretty peaceful lol. i can't catch them in the setup I have now without complete destruction. Maybe I could do that and put african cichlids in the 75!

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have fun rock hunting at your local Rockyard or Landscape Company. I spent about 50 bucks for over 200 lbs. Of Honeycombed Limestone. No way I'd pay big bucks for plastic decor.
Rocks in my area go for 12 cents to 25 cents per lb.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Magicpenny75 said:
Did you have a preference between the two? Did you look at the second and wish for the first? I feel like I am scape-challenged. Part of it is I'm cheap and don't want to pay $60 for a plastic log and too lazy go find my own lol. Yours both looked great. Did your Africans hide a lot?
I enjoyed both .
The Africans were from when I was on well water 8.0+ pH.
The community was after getting municipal water which is a little 'softer' .
I did Tanganyikans and really enjoyed them .They are not as aggressive as Malawi ..The Julidochromis and the Neolamprolugus were my favorites ..Several different fish spawned regularly ,but few made it past a month ..I had Calvus and of course my clown loaches in with them but most interesting was the Mono sebae angel who did well since the water was hard ..
My 180 now is still like the community in picture minus the angels and discus ..
Mostly clown loaches ,EBA and Roseline sharks ..

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coralbandit said:
I enjoyed both .
The Africans were from when I was on well water 8.0+ pH.
The community was after getting municipal water which is a little 'softer' .
I did Tanganyikans and really enjoyed them .They are not as aggressive as Malawi ..The Julidochromis and the Neolamprolugus were my favorites ..Several different fish spawned regularly ,but few made it past a month ..I had Calvus and of course my clown loaches in with them but most interesting was the Mono sebae angel who did well since the water was hard ..
My 180 now is still like the community in picture minus the angels and discus ..
Mostly clown loaches ,EBA and Roseline sharks ..
My municipal water supply is a concern... It lends itself very well to the soft acidic South American fish. I wonder if a crushed coral substrate and limestone rockwork would be enough to correct it and what about water changes and swings and all...
The tetra tank is looking better and better. I gotta say my diamond tetras are some of my favorite fish I've ever had. Watching the males flashing each other is really enjoyable.
A201 what are your thoughts? I'm always the one telling people don't chase water, just do what your tap water allows. How do you manage keeping your water right for the African cichlids?

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I like Dubosi’s so much think they look salt even tho not. Clearly, this is me pushing my dreams into you. lol.

EmiliyaCossack

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would do the fancy goldfish on a budget. Firstly because I'm a huge budget advocate, second because I had Orandas once and LOVED them so much. I didn't know anything at the time so I killed them treating for Ich, and I refused to get another after that because I was so sad. I regret that and hope to do a Coldwater tank someday with Orandas and Black Moores. My Orandas all had famous WWII Russian general names: Konev, Rokossovsky and Zhukov. Loved those guys.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart said:
I like Dubosi’s so much think they look salt even tho not. Clearly, this is me pushing my dreams into you. lol.
Those were the one fish I wished I had never added to the tank !
PIA just like kribensis minus a million babies ..They bothered everyone in the tank and when the spots were gone [pretty quickly I'll add] they were a nothing special PIA fish ...

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
South American peaceful biotope tank all the way!! lol

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
coralbandit said:
Those were the one fish I wished I had never added to the tank !
PIA just like kribensis minus a million babies ..They bothered everyone in the tank and when the spots were gone [pretty quickly I'll add] they were a nothing special PIA fish ...
Wait wait you mean like bullies?! And they didn’t turn into this? What other fish were they with—were they all plant eating only or were you able to keep meat eaters in there too? And how many did you have? Sorry this is not what you asked in the posts!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mean yes..The meanest in tank ..Non stop .
I kept them with other common Tangs ..

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Magicpenny75 A substantial limestone hardscape should be all you need. Given a little time, the PH should top out near 8.3.
My tap already is 8.3, so the Limestone doesn't have much effect. It does buffer against a crash.
African cichlids are pretty durable, and will be able to adjust to a minor & temporary dip in PH during a WC.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom