Getting a 50 Gallon Tank!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by lbonini1, Jul 16, 2015.

1. lbonini1

lbonini1 Well Known Member Member

I'm so excited because I get to have something else to toy around with whilst I make plans for my big daddy build soon! (275 Gallon Tank)

I saw this tank in my neighbor's garage and he was about to throw it away when I stopped him and asked for it, he was really nice about it and gave it to me! :D

The thing is perfect, no scratches no cracks, the inside is dusty and has dead spiders but that's about it. The background however has a slight imperfection being that the paint is chipping off so I'll probably either remove all of it or re-paint it.

Also; He said he had the filters, air pumps and assorted equipment in a box somewhere and that he'll look for it today and hopefully have it for me tomorrow.

Since I am obsessed with Fancy Goldfish, I'm going to stock this one with Fancies as well. I'm thinking I can do 3 and if I have a little more filtration I can add one more but that's it.

My plans thus far are:

- Using CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand (Black)

- Cycling with TSS or Stability - I heard Stability is the type of bacteria that dies off in water and starves the actual BB, can anyone confirm? I've had moderate success with TSS and would like to see if I have more success if I take it slow and be more cautious this time around.

- Adding more Bio-Media to the filters and maybe getting a sponge filter or two.

- Plants. Lots of plants.

I'm so so so excited to set this thing up!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What you said about Stability is completely wrong, I've cycled more than five tanks in the past using Stability and it works real fast. In fact, I cycled three tanks in the last two months with Stability. My latest project, I cycled a 40 Breeder in 4 days by super dosing Stability.

3. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

Ah, it seems to be way more effective than TSS then. Like I said, I wasn't sure so I had to ask :)

Can I use it with Amquel+ or will it cause problems like it would with TSS?

4. Dom90

Yea you should be able to use it with Amquel+ without having to wait 24 hours before using it. You can use it as soon as 30 minutes after you dose Amquel. I am also aware that you dont have to wait 2 weeks before doing a water change, it really doesnt matter with Stability.

5. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

Awesome then! I could take some of the cycled media from my 55 but I don't really want to disturb ANY of the BB there as it was part of the most stubborn cycle ever...

6. Dom90

I seeded some of my 75 gallon bacteria into my 40 Breeder and I didnt have any issues... I had a nitrite reading within 2 days, it was through the roof maybe 5 ppm. I dosed 3 ppm of pure ammonia first day.

7. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

Will there be problems if I cycle fish-in with Amquel and Stability, I'd prefer to do fishless but I need to alleviate some stocking on my 55 and get rid of this dang divider.

8. Dom90

No there shouldnt be any problems, Stability is also made to be used for a fish-in cycle... I just did fishless cycle because my fish didnt come in yet.

9. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

M'kay~

Thanks for your help!

10. Dom90

You're welcome, let me know how it turns out!

11. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

My neighbor stopped me today and told me I'm getting the equipment tomorrow since he had to go to work today but I'm super excited! Hopefully it all works and is enough power for this aquarium but I don't care if it isn't!

I'm going to Petco today to get some Goldfish food and some Amquel+, while I'm there I'll look at the cost of Stability and the substrate I wanna get along with some bio-media.

12. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

They renovated the whole place! Petco looked phenomenal! Strangely similar to the Petsmart across the street though.. hmm ;)

Anyway, they had all Aqueon Tanks and a shelf SPECIFICALLY for Seachem, a shelf SPECIFICALLY for Tetra and most importantly! Their fish tanks were pristine! - There was only ONE dead Goldfish and it looked like he JUST died too!

I got some Omega One Sinking Goldfish Food, a Thermometer and Heater for my Betta tank and I was going to get Stability but I figured I wouldn't need it quite yet. I say...if I go back in again and Petco is this clean, I may buy from there again.

13. c

csawyer98 New Member Member

I have always used stability to cycle my tanks. Fish in and fishless cycles have worked fine, until this last time with a mini cycle when my ancient whisper went out. If the nitrites get too high pick up a bottle of Seachem Prime. It will bring it down within an hour or two. Just keep an eye on it because it can build up again real fast. Best of luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice