Getting 2000 different answers

1. totally confused Initiate Member

From the minute I set up our new tank I have been getting so many different answers on various questions like How often do you feed your fish? How long should I leave the light on in the day? Why is my tank so cloudy.... ect.... I have had nothing but problems since setting up my tank (only about 3 months now) I have had ick... popeye....extremely high ammonia...copper.. and now my tank is so cloudy I wonder if there are any fish in there at all!! WHAT NEXT?! I seem to have the most of my problems in check now except my tank is so cloudy. What can I do? ???

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore! Let's see if we can get you on track. First off, tell us what size tank you have and what fish you have. Next, if you don't already have one, I'd strongly suggest you get a Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master test kit. This master test kit is very economical compared to other tests, and it's accurate. If you do have one, please post your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Once you tell us a little more about your tank, we can start to help you. It's great to have you with us, and we look forward to helping you get your tank on track! ;)

3. dahly Member Member

Post your questions here! I'm new too and get a lot of help from the experienced helpful souls here! Asthey say "Just yell if you need anything!"

4. totally confused Initiate Member

Wow! I am loving this! I have only been on a few hours and already have some help! Thanks! I have a 30 gallon tank and about 7 fish (3 neon tetras and 4 zebra) oh ya! and one of bottom feeders - although I am not sure if he still lives there I never see him! :) I know what my problems were in the beginning I was overfeeding big time and I didn't give my tank enough time before bringing way too many fish home. My main concern is that there are so many different answers to my questions I have been told I should feed 3 times a day... once a day... small amounts 2 times a day which is right? Then I was told leave my light on 12 hours ... then 8... them 3... it's all really frusterating! I just want healthy fish that I can sit and stare at when I come home!! As far as my chemicals being alright I check them often and according to the little charts that come with the tester kit everything seems to be ok.. but I will be looking into the test kit you recommended and thanks again for the quick response!

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome Totally confused!! Stop in at the welcome forum and tell us a little about yourself ;)
    Here is some good reading that may unconfuse you a little:
    https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/TheNitrogenCycle.htm
    I use the same test kits as Gunnie and the results are really reliable.
    As for the feeding, you only want to feed what your fish will eat in a short time. In fact there is a thread already here that we are discussing that very thing. Maybe you could join that discussion ;) http://fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=571.0
    The lighting issue depends alot on your tank. If you have a heavily planted tank the lights need to be on about 12-14 hrs I believe. Hope that helps
    Carol