Getting 2 Orandas, Any Personal Care Tips?

1. m

merickson95 New Member Member

20180521_152507.jpg When on an outing to PetCo for water dechlorinator, I did something I knew I shouldn't have and walked by their big goldfish tank (75 or 100 gallons, not horribly overstocked). Fell in love with the pair of twin red cap orandas and have been keeping tabs each time I go back. Unfortunately, one of my two axolotls passed suddenly and I happened to need another PetCo outing. To my horror, all the goldfish from the big tank had been crammed into one of the tiny display tanks on the wall! I have now convinced my husband to let me use my axolotl's old tank to take in the two orandas. It is only a 20 gallon long, but I have a Whisper EX70 and EX30 running and plan to do weekly 50% water changes with a thorough gravel vacuuming as well as not overfeeding them. I know they should ideally be in at least 40 gallons but my husband put his foot down on that and said they will be better off in this than at PetCo. I have done plenty of research but am wondering if any of you have personal tips to help me keep these two happy and healthy when I bring them home. Here is a pic of the setup.

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Remember that they are carp. They are naturally bottom feeders, so even if you teach them to eat flakes or other floating foods, you will notice them picking at the gravel constantly. Another thing to remember is they produce a lot of waste, especially ammonia, but part of that has to do with their environment. A fish's body will be the same temperature as their water. As their temperature goes up, so does their metabolism. You may never have to use a heater for their tank. The best temperature for all goldfish is 70 degrees F. Even as low as 65 but that's not comfortable for their keepers. The pH around 7.0 is best and make sure you keep an eye on those ammonia levels. In nature, the carp species they originate from are rivers and streams that naturally keep water cleanly flowing around them. They are also omnivorous so an occasional treat like sweet peas or dehydrated blood worms will make nice supplements to their diet. It is also recommended that you add 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon of water to their tank.

3. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you, finnipper! I read that orandas need higher temps than other fancy goldfish, and our living room is being air conditioned right now for the sake of the axolotl, so that is why the heater is in there. But I did take your comment into consideration and lowered the heater a notch. I just bought a new master test kit and will most certainly be watching the parameters. I have frozen bloodworms and shrimp for my axolotl that will be part of their diet, as well as veggie pellets and flakes, and will be sure to feed them a variety. I will add some aquarium salt shortly before I add them to the tank. They should be coming home on Sunday. I appreciate your input very much :)

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Goldfish do best in cooler waters, orandas should do fine in room temp water.

Goldfish are slightly more herbivorous, and do best with a predominantly veggie diet. I actually reccomend bloodworms and like to be considered along the lines of a occasional treat.

2 orandas in a 20g can work in a pinch. Have good filtration and keep an eye on the nitrates in order to gauge waterchange schedual and size.

I would also reccomend switching out the stone substrate with either sand or keep it barebottom. Bare bottom will allow ease of removing waste, while the sand will keep waste on top and allow them to root around in. Gravel- like you have - does neither, goldies can shift through it plus its a magnet for waste.

5. OP
    OP
    m

I have read multiple sources specifically on orandas that say they need to be warmer than other goldies and are susceptible to being cold, and since we have the air conditioner on full blast for the axolotl I wanted to be on the side of caution. Tank is at 75 farenheit. Will be using predominantly the veggie pellets and flakes but will supplement with frozen bloodworms and frozen mysis and brine shrimp if those are alright for them as well. As for the gravel, I figured it would be more stimulating for the fish than bare bottom and I will be vacuuming it very regularly. I am certainly in a pinch, just trying to get these guys into a somewhat decent tank, and I think my husband would have finally lost it if I started dumping sand in there (he cut his hand pretty deep trying to make space for the second filter and I thought the whole project was scrapped).

6. Galathiel

Galathiel Well Known Member Member

I would not raise the temperature higher than 75. I have a Thai oranda and even they are not used to more than about 74 degrees. I actually keep mine around 70-71 degrees and it's doing well. I would be careful about the sources you use. Not all of them are particularly reliable.

I don't really think a 20 gallon is suitable for two orandas. They are one of the larger types of goldfish and can easily reach 8-10 inches in length. I have mine in a 46 gallon with a friend and still am doing around 70-80 percent water changes each week.

Be aware that some have success with goldfish and gravel and some don't. I have a friend that had a goldfish get gravel stuck in its mouth multiple times and she had to remove it with tweezers.

With 2 in a 20 gallon, I would plan on doing two 50% water changes a week ... at least.

7. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

This...

Imo, if you want to ever stay on top of water quality best bet would to remove that gravel in there... its literally a waste magnet and the goldies can't even sift around in it.

In saying that, some have make it work, having 2 orandas in a 20g. Is it ideal - no - but could it work if you stay on top of things- sure. I would suggest if you could consider looking at other fancy goldie varieties like ranchu, pearlscales ect... as they often don't grow as large (normally around 4-8 inch)

8. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

If do you go with gravel, make sure it's very large grain and there isn't a lot of it. Just a fine later. They can ingest smaller gravel and become impacted. That being said, I have gravel on my goldfish tank and boy do I regret it. Not fun, not fun at all. It's very difficult to clean.
    Also, do not add salt to the aquarium. It is a constant irritant and will cause increased slime coat production and will constantly stress the fish, not to mention you'll end up with salt resistant strains of diseases.
    Don't feed them flakes (as was also mentioned above) especially for fancy goldfish. They will not only be taking air into their stomach during feeding time, but they will be conditioned to scavenge for food at the surface and will constantly gulp air. This can lead to a swim bladder disorder, which isn't always treatable.
    That being said, even a 20gallon for both is better than what they have at the store....

9. OP
    OP
    m

I will lower the heater to 70. I know 20g isn't ideal for them but I'm not allowed a bigger tank and it will be better than the horrible tank in the wall at PetCo. I will remove the gravel, because I don't want to risk it, and do the twice weekly 50% water changes you suggest.

10. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you, everyone, for your advice. I just can't bear to leave them in that store.

11. Rtessy

I absolutely get where you're coming from, and it's definitely going to be better than the store. Heck, who are we kidding, it's going to be better than most get. Especially since you're actually willing to take care of them. Is it ideal? Well no, but most goldfish don't get anything close to ideal, and you'll get pretty close. But yeah, trust me on the gravel, it's so hard to clean. You could try having some large rocks or pieces of slate on the bottom just so it doesn't look plain, I know the Petco near me sells some

12. OP
    OP
    m

I just love goldfish, we had an oranda when I was little who lived for 9 years until my parents got an algae eater and the people at the fish store didn't tell them it would latch on to our poor goldie and pretty much suck the life out of him. I'm all about research, my Google search history is largely fish and axolotl related. I wish I could have at least a 40g but at least I wore my husband down into letting me try and save them at all. I have already named them Milli and Vanilli. Here's to hoping they're still there by the time I go to take them home on Sunday! I've removed the gravel and think I will just go bare bottom, the simpler the better for me.

13. Rtessy

I really hope it all goes well for you! And like I said, you'll be helping them no matter what!

14. OP
    OP
    m

Thought I'd share this with everyone, I feel silly as I remember them being red caps but they're still very adorable! They seem glad to be in their own tank and like to be near each other. 20180527_142729.jpg