getting 1st DP tomorrow!

MJDuti

I've done my research and have the tank prepped. After I do some errands and a WC, I get to go pick it up. I hope mine is fiesty. Might name him/her Rex, some big mean name for such a cute little fish. Will post a pic soon.

How many others on here have DPs? And are they as awesome as everyone says?

bigt0006

Dp you talking about dwarf puffers? If so I have 3 in my heavily planted 10 gallon and they are by far my favorite. Going to want pick up some frozen blood worms mine love them and that's all they eat besides the occasional ramshorm. Had mine for a little over 2 weeks and there just starting to show themselfs

iLLusion

I've done my research and have the tank prepped. After I do some errands and a WC, I get to go pick it up. I hope mine is fiesty. Might name him/her Rex, some big mean name for such a cute little fish. Will post a pic soon.

How many others on here have DPs? And are they as awesome as everyone says?

species only tank I assume, I honestly would do a species only tank for a dwarf puffers, but after seeing local electric blue rams change of heart so fast!

if you ever have pond snail infestation, you are very lucky as they will eat them all LOL! best part you get to hand feed them

I also assume you have seen this site very informative, since I never knew they could live in fresh water

MJDuti

sadly, I can only house one right now...reasonably. but he will have a feast of blood worms, pond snails, rcs, & blackworms. as well as a fun planted environment. how many bloodworms do you feed them and how often? I want it to be happy, just not fat. With his abundant food supply, I was thinking every other day maybe 1/4 cube???

i've always loved puffers but am limited to what I can have at the moment and DPs work! I always liked the South American puffers, even with their teeth issues, cause they can be in groups. Then I'd have to say a Fahaka just cause it's a beast. Then if I ever got rich, go for a Cross River, or better yet the king...MBU! god bless anyone that can house one of those!

...yes it will only be the 1 dwarf puffer in there. I have visited that site many times, it's a good one.

iLLusion

sadly, I can only house one right now...reasonably. but he will have a feast of blood worms, pond snails, rcs, & blackworms. as well as a fun planted environment. how many bloodworms do you feed them and how often? I want it to be happy, just not fat. With his abundant food supply, I was thinking every other day maybe 1/4 cube???

i've always loved puffers but am limited to what I can have at the moment and DPs work! I always liked the South American puffers, even with their teeth issues, cause they can be in groups. Then I'd have to say a Fahaka just cause it's a beast. Then if I ever got rich, go for a Cross River, or better yet the king...MBU! god bless anyone that can house one of those!

...yes it will only be the 1 dwarf puffer in there. I have visited that site many times, it's a good one.

I wouldnt think you would need to feed them blood worms everyday but you can do it as a special treat during your water changes , if you feed him snails his teeth will be no problem

featherblue

Dwarf puffers don't have beaks, they can't crunch shells or skelatons. Tiny snails and shrimp can be a treat, but tiny ones are ok. Think puffer eye size or smaller. (Waste from too big food ail decay in the tank)
Mine only eat live food. I do live black worms every day, with 2mm or smaller snails for treats, as well as brine. Some have luck switching to frozen worms, but I haven't. Ive had mine for 8months

MJDuti

like many fish, will DPs continue to eat till they burst?

featherblue

Mine sure tried. I fed 1 worm per puffer per day the first 6 months. Were up to 2 now, but they've doubled in size since I got them. 2-4 shrimp/snails on the tiny side seem to be a good meal you can def see their tummy get big and full

JRC3

Sounds like you've done your research. Great job.

A pair of forcepts work great for wiggling and dropping in single bloodworms. I know Petsmart has a pair in the reptile section but I bought all of mine for cheap on ebay. When you get your little DP he'll more than likely be a very small juvinile and you may have to cut his blood worms up for him.

You will definitely want to treat your new DP for internal parasites (IPs) as it is very common in those little guys. Get some Jungle/Tetra parasite tablets, the kind you drop in the tank. But don't use them as directed, instead break of a little section and drop it in a little cup of water and let his food soake for 20 minutes or so. Don't do this for the first week so you can get him to start eating regularly and get used to what you are offering.

What size tank are you using? A nerite snail or two can be kept with your DP. Any other snail will be killed and large snails like apple/mystery/trapdoor will be harassed badly and loose feelers or eyes.

MJDuti

thanks for the heads up

I was asking about the food cause it'll be in my split 10G. The side it will be living on gets stragglers from my busy side, which includes some rcs, blackworms (in substrate), mts, and pond snails. Should I try removing what I can or just let it be? I figured they aren't even close to the same numbers on the busy side so with all the hiding spots, they can survive, possibly reproduce, and then serve as a constant food supply when the puffer is hungry.

featherblue

Id be really careful with a constant food supply. I almost lost tough pants with over feeding. Hes my dominate male and would steal other puffers worms. He balloned his bellly so bad one time he couldn't swim for hours. Got luck, he processed the food before he hemmoraged internally

MJDuti

oh geez, poor guy. Ok, I'll move what I can.

MJDuti

random thought...I have a lot of heavily rooted dwarf water lettuce. It looks great, they're huge and it gives them a dI'm setting! It seems that puffers in general are not the greatest of swimmers. My only potential concern is if the puffer is exploring, could he get caught in the root system? I would assume he could swim through, but just want to get some feedback.

featherblue

Mine haven't gotten stuck any where and their plants have grown into a jungle. There's one type of med crypt, spiralis, red lotus, wysteria, and frogbit for a floated. Tiny loves to play in the floating roots, her fav hang out

MJDuti

ok, good to know, thanks

badrad

Ditto with cleaning up food that's not eaten right away. My DP's will eat like there's no tomorrow. I can sometimes see a pimple like stomach bulge when the bigger one eats too much. My 2 seem to like frozen bloodworms, but only when they are just defrosted. If it lays on the bottom for any time, they will not touch it at all, so I make sure to just feed them a few worms at a time, and then soon afterwards, suck up any uneaten pieces so they do not rot.

You're going to have a LOT of FUN with these little guys! They will stare you down if you let them. Honestly for a fish the size of a SNOT, they got major attitude! Love'em!

You Lookin' at me? Well there's no one else in the room! So you MUST be looking at me!

DSCN5220.jpg

MJDuti

Lol, nice pic.
I'm guessing as soon as the blackworms see him coming they will be constantly in the substrate.

well, i'm going to get mine now! will update later

MJDuti

I think I have a female cause I don't see the black marking on it's belly. However, it is still kind of small so we'll see. I picked out the one that gave me the most attention in the store and was most active. Plus she has a little belly, not sunken in, but not bloated either. And she had more yellowing coloration than the most. I'm loving the rolling eyes and "smile" when she stares at you head on.

I'll have to mess with my camera later to get such a tiny shot. I've had luck with my shrimp so we'll see.

UPDATE...she was busy exploring the tank. ignored a couple rcs but seemed to take some interest in a couple black worms. I liked how she goes into a striking position and then bam. Seems happy so far.

bigt0006

There fun to watch eat wish I could have found them locally I paid $26 for my three

MJDuti

puffers may not be the most alert fish in the world. or they are just that stubborn. It was the first feeding and I tried frozen bloodworms. had a couple sink, she ignored them. then eventually got that curious look/pose and snagged a small one. They really aren't good about keeping food in their mouth and once it hits the bottom, ha. Entertaining fish so far...my leftover snails and shrimp have not been touched yet. how long do you think that'll last?

MJDuti

totally forgot to update photos!

046.jpg

043.jpg
...trying to get a shot where she's looking right at me

bigt0006

Nice mine are all camera shy they can be out and about and as soon as my phone comes out they hide

emmynk

Updates? Also, how do you people feed just 2 bloodworms? You defrost the whole block and just let the rest go to waste? I mean I can feed some to my serpaes but still most get wasted):

JRC3

I use those little salad dressing cups with lids. I used to just use ones I got with take out food. Recently I went to Gordon Food Serv and bought a sleave of the .5 ounce cups for like 4 bucks. Now instead of buying cubes I buy a less expensive flat of bloodworms and thaw them and divide it up in the cups and re-freeze for perfect single feeding portions. I'm cheap and easy.

I also float them in a tank to thaw. In my 29 gallon the water level is close enough to the lid that the cup doesn't move around when I close the canopy lid on it.

removed

The bloodworms that are left over I put in the fridge for the next feeding.

MJDuti

As far as an update my puffer is doing great. Even got another one for my tank, but she's still tiny...growing sloooowly. Well I guess a little bit is quite a bit for a DP.

For the bloodworms I just use a knife and cut the frozen cubes into pieces. May need some minor thawing. Then I'll just put the big piece back in the container. Mine seem to like the frozen blocks more over the flat that JRC3 uses. I've noticed the bloodworms are bigger in the blocks, or at least when I had the two.

JRC3

As far as an update my puffer is doing great. Even got another one for my tank, but she's still tiny...growing sloooowly. Well I guess a little bit is quite a bit for a DP.

For the bloodworms I just use a knife and cut the frozen cubes into pieces. May need some minor thawing. Then I'll just put the big piece back in the container. Mine seem to like the frozen blocks more over the flat that JRC3 uses. I've noticed the bloodworms are bigger in the blocks, or at least when I had the two.
The bloodworms seem to often vary in size no matter if from a flat or cubes. I think it has something to do with what time of years they were harvested or something. I do prefere the cubes and I use them more often than a flat. I find that if I let a cube thaw between my fingers for 15 seconds or so I can just squeeze out the solid cube without even cutting the foil first. Then I float the dressing cup containg the frozen cube to thaw it.

Sometimes I find the cubes BOGO and I stock up. Can't beat buy one get one free.

MJDuti

That's an interesting thought about when they harvest them. It may have been how I broke the flat as well, but they appeared too small for my puffers' interest.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SlickNick
Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies
Views
MJDuti
Replies