Gettig back into the hobby. Lots of questions

1. MissCap Member Member

I am getting back into the hobby after not having a tank for 10 years. My husband finally let me get a 10 gallon tank. I have it all set up and running and treated it with a water conditioner to get rid of chlorine. The temperature is about 76-78 degrees.

Is there anything else I need to treat my water with? I plan on getting the API master test kit (after I convince the hubby) before I put fish in.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I am torn between platies and guppies. 4-5 of one of those and all male. Which would you choose? Also thinking about putting some shrimp in there. How many?

2. How often should I change water (and how much) after the cycle is established?

3. Can I do a fish-in cycle with 2 fish? How would you go about doing this? I have read about the nitrogen cycle, but need to multiple times more. Would you suggest using tetra safestart?

4. What are the "have to have" items to maintain this tank?

I really want to do a good job at keeping this tank up. Last time I had a tank I was a teenager and failed at doing the water changes.

I also have a 50 gallon tank coming (my parents got it at an auction for me for $5). I want to get this tank eatablished and going well before I even attempt the 50 gallon.

Thanks for all of your help! I am excited to get this tank started!

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

1) Unfortunately a 10 gallon tank is not appropriate for guppies or platies. They are very active and would need a 20 gallon high minimum.

Here is a great thread for fish that can be homed in a 10 gallon

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-stocking-questions/207629-stocking-list-10-gallons.html

2) Every week is best. Depending on how fast your nitrates accumulate you may be able to get away with every 2 weeks but it's good to have every week in mind as the standard.

3) You'd want to make sure the 2 fish you select are hardy and can handle a fish in cycle. Wait 24 hours after treating the water for chlorine then add the 2 fish and a bottle of TSS+. After two weeks if the bacteria took, you should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and >0 nitrates. You are then cycled

4)Filter, heater, substrate, water conditioner (prime), a net, some decorations, ornaments, driftwood etc. A light timer is a good thing to have. Water changer of some type.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

My responses are in red below.

Pics when you get everything set up! Let us know if you have more questions :)

EDIT: Ninja'ed!

Except that platies and guppies are fine for a 10 gal, and are on that list :)

4. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Ha. That's what I get for responding to several threads at the same time. Yes guppies and platies are indeed fine for 10 gallons.

5. MissCap Member Member

Thanks ya'll!! I will definitely post a pic when I get my fish! I currently have some pretty crummy looking silk plants I used a long time ago. Oh well! I would like live plants someday, but may attempt that in my 50 gallon.

I have had platies before but never guppies. I might let my 2 year old son pick which of those two he would like. He loves fish.