Get Rid Of White Cloudy Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakunclear

Reaction score
So I have a 37g tank that has been running for approx 2 1/2 months I have white murky water and I do 33-40% water changes every week. I feed them once per day except for two days a week that I skip. I currently have 1 angelfish (had 2 but one just died wasn't eating and I tried to put him in a hospital tank, he died shortly after the Dwarf Gourami), 1 Dwarf Gourami (Had 2.....1 got stuck in a decoration which has been removed but the stress of it after getting him out killed him within an hour), 1 Albino Rainbow Shark, 3 Black Mollies, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 1 Clown Pleco.

All my fish outside of the two are happy eaters and come up to the top when I put my hand nearby and all around seem healthy.

I have tried to use Nutrafin Bio-clear but doesn't seem to be helping. I have a 40Gallon Topfin silent stream filter and I am just starting to cycle two sponge filters into the system to replace the HOB filter that is currently in use (both rated for 25-40 gallon tanks but my air pump only supports up to 60g).

HenzPaitan

Valued Member
Reaction score
It is very common in new tank specially when cycling. Just run the filter on and do it's job. If it doesn't go away for 3 days, perform water change

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s your filter. It’s too weak for the tank. The filter only does 30-40g tops and your right in the middle of it. The B.B. is struggling to get a hold of something thus causing the constant bacteria bloom.

My brother in law, when he had the 90g tank (which I have now) his HOB broke down and he bought a aqua clear 70. He always said it was dirty but never mentioned it was white. When I went there I noticed the filter wasn’t strong enough for the tank.

Since your running additional sponges this will take a few months for them to work themselves into the system. I would keep an eye out on the fish until the process is done.

HenzPaitan

Valued Member
Reaction score
It’s your filter. It’s too weak for the tank. The filter only does 30-40g tops and your right in the middle of it. The B.B. is struggling to get a hold of something thus causing the constant bacteria bloom.

My brother in law, when he had the 90g tank (which I have now) his HOB broke down and he bought a aqua clear 70. He always said it was dirty but never mentioned it was white. When I went there I noticed the filter wasn’t strong enough for the tank.

Since your running additional sponges this will take a few months for them to work themselves into the system. I would keep an eye out on the fish until the process is done.
no, it is just very common for new tanks... Almost every tank i own has cloudy water at first few days. It is from the dust of the gravel/ substrate

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
no, it is just very common for new tanks... Almost every tank i own has cloudy water at first few days. It is from the dust of the gravel/ substrate
Tank has been running according to OP for 2 1/2 months. Wouldn't 100% call that new. It could be because they have fish with large bio loads and didnt let there BB build up between adding fish.

dakunclear

Reaction score

My brother in law, when he had the 90g tank (which I have now) his HOB broke down and he bought an aqua clear 70. He always said it was dirty but never mentioned it was white. When I went there I noticed the filter wasn’t strong enough for the tank.

Since your running additional sponges this will take a few months for them to work themselves into the system. I would keep an eye out for the fish until the process is done.
That's kinda what I feared which is why I bought the sponge filters to help with it all and ya I pay close attention to my fish. The only one I'm not concerned about is the mollies and the rainbow shark (mainly cause since I got him he has tripled in size)

Sion

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Something weird is going on, you shouldn't have 0 nitrates in a tank of that size with the fish you have.
Are you using testing strips or liquid tests to measure the water parameters? If you're using the API test make sure you shake the **** out of the bottles before adding them.

Hill Dweller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you have 0 nitrates you have something wrong with your cycle. White cloudy water can mean a bacterial bloom. Google bacterial blooms and how to treat it. A problem with your cycle can go hand in hand with a bloom.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's kinda what I feared which is why I bought the sponge filters to help with it all and ya I pay close attention to my fish. The only one I'm not concerned about is the mollies and the rainbow shark (mainly cause since I got him he has tripled in size)
You might want to rehome the shark, it will become aggressive and cause more trouble later.

As for the filter, you know what to do. Give it some time and just keep watching the tank.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
White cloudy tank is different from a dusty tank. Dusty tanks are typically light brown while white cloudy tank is a typically a mini-cycle. Yes the OP's tank is still fairly new and raw but a weak filter that the OP has can't remove all the ammonia and thus causing the white milky cloud. It's not enough BB to clean it up.

When I clean my tank it has a little white to it but only last a few hours before clearing itself up.

dakunclear

Reaction score
Okay the tank has cleared up within a week after getting my two sponge filters going in there so it was def a problem with not enough filtration.

Thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 52 66.7%

Top Bottom