get rid of grease layer in my fish tank? How Do I

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by 733, Apr 10, 2010.

1. 733New MemberMember

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning 733 and Welcome to Fish Lore!

The build up on top of the water is caused due to there not being enough surface water movement. You can add an air stone/supply line to the opposite end of the tank away from the filter. You may want to consider reducing your feeding as fish foods can contain oils that will cause the build up to begin with.

If you would be so kind as to complete your Aquarium Profile Information it will be a great help to others.

If by chance you have an Aqua Clear filter on your tank, then this is what I recommend:

Ken

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  3. OP
    OP

733New MemberMember

Thanks Ken.
    (Thought I have put in all the information I know in the relevant area).

I have Aqua One Aquis 1050 filter. I think my tank is too deep for the product you recommend.

I read some where that put a couple of molly will get rid of the oil layer. Maybe that's the best organic way to do it... and I love mollies too. What do you think?

Have a nice day!

Lee

4. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello 733.

I've never heard that about adding the Mollies. Personally I would add an air stone.

Ken

5. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

6. OP
    OP

733New MemberMember

should I believe this buddies?

cheers

7. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

i have noticed this oily stuff in my 2.5g betta tank. i think he likes it that there isn't a ton of surface movement....but if this oily stuff is due to not enough movement, i don't know what to do, since bettas don't really like airstones/bubblers. but sometimes i see more oil on the surface than others....hmmm.

i also wondered if my hands transfer some oil to the water. we have oils on our skin, and sometimes i notice when i dip my fingers in, there's an oily trace. does anyone else notice this?

8. crystalizedNew MemberMember

I noticed that before, but my tank never get oily on its surface..maybe I have 3 air filters plus 1 air stone...maybe it filters it quicker?..

I remember I tried to change water, and somehow the whole surface were oily..I just let the tank do the magic, and next day, all I had to do was just wipe some stuff off from inside of the tanks on the sides..then the next day, water was back to crystal clear..

9. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

all very plausable options.

I think the first thing is to identify the cause.

But as mentioned earlier, I'd wait till the cycle finishes, then see where things are at.

10. crystalizedNew MemberMember

time is the answer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice