get my platy to have her fry How Do I

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by wonton55912, Mar 20, 2010.

1. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

my platy has been pregnant for a while how do i get her to give birth?

2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

You can't "get her to give birth" you just have to let her do it herself in her own time.

3. OP
    OP
    w

how can i make her feel like it do i raise the temp or something

4. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

How long has she been pregnant? My platies usually deliver after about 5 weeks or so. If she delivers too soon, the fry won't be developed and you'll just end up with dead babies. Just be patient. She'll drop when she's ready.

5. OP
    OP
    w

idk she had 2 a week ago and is still squared and everything she eats she spits out. the not eating thing started today. she also has a light gray scale close to her anal fin.

6. bassbonediva

Hmmm...my females tend to stop eating right before they drop fry, so it could be that she'll drop them any time. Make sure to have lots of floating plants (my favorite is hornwort) and places for the fry and the momma to hide. My girls refused to drop fry in my 29gal, even though two of them were all squared, because there weren't very many hiding places. As soon as I put them in the 55gal which has TONS of hiding places and hornwort floating in it, they both dropped within a couple of days.

7. OP
    OP
    w

8. bassbonediva

*shrug* My females didn't like the breeder box at all (could only get a box, not a net). They absolutely refused to have their fry in one. Same thing when I iso'd one of them in a 1gal to have her babies. Less than 24 hours after I put them back into the main tank with everyone else, they were dropping fry like there was no tomorrow.

9. OP
    OP
    w

my net is HUGE. she doesnt like it though

10. k

kuba1992 Valued Member Member

did it drop yet?

11. k

kuba1992 Valued Member Member

wonton55912 did they drop yet???

12. OP
    OP
    w

yes it dropped

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice