Get My Jack Dempseys to breed How Do I 

canababy83

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am not a "newbie" to fish, but I am to breeding them, I have never really had 2 of the same kind until now... Currently in my 50gal tank I have 2 Jack Dempseys (after reading a little on here I am sure I have a Male and Fem) How do I get them to breed? The female is slightly larger than the male she is a bit older too... My male is about 4in female is about 4.5. Please help is there anything I can do to put them in the mood... Or are they not old enough yet?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Canababy and Welcome to Fish Lore,

I've never tried to breed these fish but I do have a few tips on helping them along a bit

For your next water change, increase the temperature (some decrease but I don't feel comfortable lowering the temperature but I'm sure either way is fine) by 1 or 2 degrees. Always add new water to your tank slowly as sudden temperature changes and changes in pH levels can lead to other issues, illness and even death.

Change the fishes diet. Feed them some foods high in protein, thawed frozen blood worms, presoaked freeze dried krill. I'm sure you'll get more suggestions here too.

The two above steps will help to condition the fish for spawning.

Hold on for more responses and best of luck!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is there anything else in the tank with them? JD's are even more territorial when mating than they normally are and will likely kill all other inhabitants in a tank that size if they breed.

canababy83

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nope, no one else in the tank except those two. I just don't get it.. I have done the temp and water changes, and food. I was thinking maybe because my female is bigger than the male? But I have never actually tried to breed my fish (my other tank with my texas cichlid and parrot cichlid had no problem hookin up and making babies)

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was actually reading about JD's this morn. This is all quoted from "What Fish?""A buyer's guide to tropical fish" by Nick Fletcher. Hope it helps a bit...

1.Males are larger, with longer fins and tend to lose their juvenile barring. Females retain their barring and may become very dark when breeding.(you sure you don't have the male and female mixed up?Not that it matters lol)

2.Temps of 77-79F are normal(maybe offshoot or move to this depending on where you are now?)

3.Care of the fry lasts only 10-14 days after which they may be eaten as they pair prepare to spawn again. Any fry should be removed about a week after free swimming.

Not much help I know but I got another book here one sec lol....

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!!
If you post some pics, we can help sex them to make sure you have a m/f combo....IMO, they aren't big/old enough yet to be mature for spawning...although BB has had them spawn , it might just be age...if you fill in your aquarium info under my settings, maybe there's also something going on with the tank that we might see....good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads