get my guppies intrested How Do I

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by wonton55912, Mar 16, 2010.

1. wonton55912Valued MemberMember

how do i get my guppies intrested in mating?

2. angelfish220

angelfish220Well Known MemberMember

you put a male guppy with a female guppy and they are usually interested in mating.

Make sure that they are fed plenty of good quality food (fresh or frozen being best, but good quality flake will work as well) and there are plenty of hiding places for the female(s) to rest and also for the babies to go to so they won't get eaten.

3. OP
    OP
    w

wonton55912Valued MemberMember

i put a male and female in their own tank and nothing is happening

4. RhanWell Known MemberMember

I don't think the mating process is long and drawn out with livebearers... I might be wrong here, but I think that's correct.

Within a few days they should have mated, even if you didn't see them actually mate. You can't watch a tank 24/7 :)

5. OP
    OP
    w

males are persistant though right? they chase and the male swings his gonopodioum sometimes. should i put another male in a bag in that tank?

6. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

If anything, I'd put more females in the tank. Another male will just agitate the male you already have. What temp is the tank at and how long has it been established? I've never had problems with any of my livebearers "not being interested"...in fact, I've lost several of my females because they were mated to death (they were exceptionally large female guppies). The males aren't always extremely persistant. Mine will leave the females alone until right after they've had a batch of fry, THEN that's when the pestering begins. Female livebearers store sperm for up to six months, so if you got your female from the pet store, she's more than likely already pregnant. The males pester the females right after they give birth because the female will give preference to the new male's sperm over stored sperm if a new male is available.

7. OP
    OP
    w

nevermind they mated

8. Bladerunner2k5New MemberMember

I have 3 or 4 male guppy and similar amount of female and have had two lots of little un's. The last time I noticed a pregnant female I put her in a little quarantine tank I have and I awoke the next morning to around 30x little guppys so they're pretty prolific breeders when they get going! :;toast

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice