Get danios to swim at mid level

Turnkeyagenda24

Hello i was wondering if it is possible and how, to get my danios to swim more at mid lvel in my aquarium. they love to stay at the surface and in the same little area in the tank near my heater

BigManAquatics

If the tops of the plants and hardscape comes to mid level, that can pull them down. They like to swim near or just above the structure.

carsonsgjs

If they are staying at the surface in the same spot, that could indicate that they aren’t happy with something too - tank mates, water conditions etc.

Danios are pretty active and like to zip about all over the tank based on my experience.

Turnkeyagenda24

i have a tower and some tall plants(fake)
If they are staying at the surface in the same spot, that could indicate that they aren’t happy with something too - tank mates, water conditions etc.

Danios are pretty active and like to zip about all over the tank based on my experience.
would the stay there because of the high ammonia nitrites and nitrates when first putting fish in my aquarium?
i have a water test kit coming tonight from amazon so i can check the levels then

Turnkeyagenda24

5A02B7F8-7B13-4CBA-898E-3BD4981F0E24.jpeg

Turnkeyagenda24

well, sometimes a single danio races to the bottem then back up. Is this good?

BigManAquatics

Yeah, my danios often go to the bottom to search for bits of food or whatever until the fish down there chase them off.

FishDin

That's not normal behavior for danios. Mine are in all parts of the tank and never stop swimming around. They seem to like swimming among the plants.

Is this a new tank? Is it cycled?

Turnkeyagenda24

i just put the fish in on sunday.

FishDin

How long has the tank been running? Did you cycle it?

Turnkeyagenda24

I am doing the method cycling with fish
With these fish
I am doing the method cycling with fish
With these fish
My test kit should come today

FishDin

That's good. When you get your test kit, test imeadiately for ammonia and nitrite and post your results so folks here can help you. Since you are doing a fish-in cycle you will be testing frequently and doing water changes to keep your fish safe based on the test results.

What size tank? How many fish. How many danios? Are you using a water conditioner / dechlorinater?

Turnkeyagenda24

i have a 55 gallon tank with 5 danios and a 3 spot gourami. and i am using a water dechlorinater
i used a capfull and a little more for my 55 gallons

FishDin

Is the gourami harassing the danios? Could they be trying to stay away from it? When fish are being chased, bothered, or bullied they will try to put distance between themselves and the bully. That often means hiding out at the top of the tank.

Turnkeyagenda24

it did a little but no it isnt anymore
YAY now two of my danios are actively swimming in the bottem half of my tank :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Turnkeyagenda24
Replies
Views
TheFishoftheSeaDanio
Replies
Views
teakwandolover234
  • Question
Replies