How Do I Get Congo tetras to spawn

JamesVader

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I have a school of Congo tetras that spawn regularly in their main tank, so I wanted to try to breed them in their own tank so the eggs won’t get immediately eaten.

I tried and tried but I can’t get them to spawn in their breeding tank! Does anyone know what I can do to get them to spawn?

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know very little about Congo tetras, but I see your question has remained unanswered, so I'll give some general advice.

You say they're already spawning in the main tank, but not the breeding tank. That means something about the breeding tank must be different. Some things to think about that you would want to match:
- Temperature
- Water source
- Lighting
- Water parameters and chemistry (Is breeding tank cycled? Does either tank have pH altering substances like driftwood, cuttlebone that the other doesn't have?)
- Tank size (to a reasonable degree; just make sure it's not so small that it stresses them out)
- Same degree of decoration/hardscape/plant cover
- Feeding schedule
And finally, how long were they in the breeding tank? It could simply be that moving them to a new space stressed them out and it's too soon for them to resume their normal behavior. Did you move them back to the main tank? Did they begin spawning behavior almost immediately or did it take them a few days/weeks?

OP
J

JamesVader

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you for replying.

I think maybe I need to get a larger tank to breed them in ( there main tank is a 75 gallon but I heard that they should breed in a twenty gallon so that’s what I tried) I have a 29 gallon I can use so I’ll try that next. Im also thinking of putting the main tank water directly into the breeding tank maybe that will do the trick?
I left them in there for about a week and a half on one attempt so I don’t think it’s time. But maybe I’m wrong.
after I put them back in their tank they start spawning again in the next 2-3 days.

I’ll keep this thread updated if anything happens

New Threads