Get Catfish or not ?

1. F

Fitzy The Fish New Member Member

I'm setting up a new tank and i just want to know if i should get catfish for a 15g tank. I'm going to get 6 serpae tetras, 10 neon tetras and maybe catfish

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Fitzy.

Until your tank is cycled with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates, you should not add anything. Here is a link to the Nitrogen Cycle below. Make sure that you understand it. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask. I see you're having issues with your 10g tank/soap/SuperFish.--->https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-stocking-questions/60423-super-fish-new-tank.html
    Until you have that situation resolved I'd hold off again.

The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
    Four Methods of Fish Less Cycling

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    F

I went to the fish shop today and the people said just to start off get some serpae tetras then come back next week with a water sample and we'll see how your water is going. At the moment my tank has 3 serpae tetras in it.

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm confused. Is this the tank that the nitrites and nitrates are "off the Chart"
    as mentioned in the other thread or is this a different tank that you're cycling with fish?

5. D

David C Well Known Member Member

Most employees at pet shops are more interested in making money selling fish after yours die than caring about the fish. Read the articles aquarist48 linked and you will set yourself up for success.

Dave

6. OP
    OP
    F

This is a different tank. Sorry for the confusion