Get aquarium salt out of my tank?? How Do I

1. crazy4fish_123 Member Member

I recently bought a breeding pair of angelfish and i am afraid to put them in the tank i had setup for them. i heard salt was bad for them and was wondering how to get it out. Is it a different kind of salt or is it aquarium salt that is not good for them? thanks

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

If a fish is sensitive to salt, then any kind of salt will affect them. (I have no idea if angels are sensitive to salt; I only give salt to my brackish fish.)

The only way to remove salt is through water changes. :-\

3. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Daily 50% water changes should help a bit, but it can be a slow process depending on how much salt is present in the tank. As you do the water changes, watch out on your nitrate readings. Do you have a Q tank for your Angels? Or can you return them to the LFS until you can get rid of the salt in your tank?

4. crazy4fish_123 Member Member

i only added aquarium salt in my tank twice and it is a 20 gallon.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

how long ago was that? and angels in a 20g wont last long :( their fins grow so quickly...unless its a 20g high...

6. wilkinson7133 Initiate Member

i have 2 angels in my tank, and iv added aquarium salt as a tonic and this was after i got them

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

salt is just an irritant and an old school method..it makes a fish over produce slime coat and stresses them out..although each to their own for using salt, i do know angels dont care for it ..is there a reason you added salt?

8. Regal Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Angels don't like salt but if they're already in there I would just keep doing water changes to get the salt out. That's about all you can do. If you bought a breeding pair
    then they are already big to live full time in a 20 gallon. They may still lay eggs but you will need a bigger tank for them to be happy.

Did you buy your breeding pair from a store or another hobbyist?

9. Neji Member Member

All you need to do is LOTS of water changes. Like a 50% water change daily? Or you can get one of those brita filters and put the water into them and when it goes through the filtration stuff, the things inside the filter canister would be able to take out most of the salt.

Although I prefer to do more water changes instead of using the brit filter method.