Germans and Bolivians Compatible?

1. DRock914 Member Member

Can Bolivian Rams be kept with German Blue Rams. One of my Bolivians seems to be on her way out. A pet store near my job has GBRs and I would like to try getting one if my Bolivian dies. Anybody have any experience with keeping them together? The store is selling the GBRs for $8.99, is that a good price?

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry one of your bolivians isn't doing well. I hope she pulls through for you.

Do you see any chasing or aggression going on between your rams? I was unable to keep two in the same tank until I upgraded to a 55g. I've never tried GBR's, but I have two bolivians.

If she's doing poorly because of stress, another ram, german or bolivian, might have the same problem.

As far as the price-THAT'S AWESOME! The ones I've found around here were $15 each.

I hope this helped a little bit.

3. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Around here they go for $7.99 up to $15.99.

If the tank is big enough you could mix them, you could probably do it in a smaller tank too.

Lots of decor like normal and I would think you would be ok.

Brian

4. DRock914 Member Member

There is no chasing or aggression. The one that I think is doomed is the one that is still not eating. She doesn't move around a lot and she never has her dorsal fin up its always flat against her and she is very dark colored. She basically looks like the opposite of the healthy one. My tank has lots of decor. The GBRs in that fish store were a surprise because they only had 8 or 9 small tanks but one of the tanks was GBRs.

5. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hello :), I keep a female GBR in with my 2 male bolivian rams in my 72G and there is very little aggression, the only aggression is if one of the bolivians gets to close to the GBR and then she willl chase them out of her way :)

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Since there's no aggression, yep, go for it:;scuba Please keep us posted:)

7. DRock914 Member Member

Sounds good, thanks everyone.

8. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear your ram is not doing good. I wonder why she just never start eating?

9. DRock914 Member Member

She might have some kind of disease that's not visible. Other than that I have no clue. I heard you are getting one of the worst storms in 20 yrs down in Philly. How's the snow?

10. redlessi Well Known Member Member

What is your ph as GBR are a little more picky and not as hardy as the bolivians (this is only from what I have read not my experience)

The snow is falling pretty heavy and accumulating quickly:eek:

11. DRock914 Member Member

pH is 6.8 last time I checked about 2 weeks ago. What do GBRs need?

12. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

GBR's have the same requirements as bolivians. A lot of keepers have trouble keeping them alive, even when keeping the correct parameters. There seems to be no obvious reason for their demise.

13. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Thanks BB for clearing that up for me............

14. btate617 Well Known Member Member

It is eating something D or it wouldn't be alive.

The color of it is probably just stress. If it doesn't have ripped fins and things like that I doubt it is getting bullied. Probably just not the dominant fish, so it may not feel "safe" so is always in a stressed color.

Getting another fish may help bring it out. Or it may cause problems in the tank. You won't know til you try.......

Brian

15. DRock914 Member Member

The fish also stays near the top. I wouldn't add a 3rd ram in a 20g tank. There are no ripped fins. I plan on adding some small tetras and/or rasboras soon, maybe that will change the fish.

16. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Yea some fish swimming around all the time will help bring it out.

Brian

17. redlessi Well Known Member Member

My rams even eat at the top since I added the angel and dg.