German Ram

1. r

reds Valued Member Member

I recently got a German Ram for my birthday. I would like to put some other fish with him/her. It's a 30 gallon tall tank hexagonal. What fish are compatible with the gr? I already have a couple of Cory cats which I will be getting a few more.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of the tank? Hex tanks have small footprints and small lengths. Not sure I'd mix a GBR and cories in a hex.

What species of cory?

What about a school of ember tetras? They should work in the small footprint, and they can handle the warmer temps needed by the GBR.

3. OP
    OP
    r

It's 24 inches high and each side is 12.5 inches long. I can't remember the name of the Cory's but the lfs said that the kind I got can handle warmer temperatures.

4. TexasDomer

With a diameter of approximately 25 inches, you're limited to stocking options like a 20 gal high.

I'd do either cories or rams, not both. The footprint isn't large enough for both.

Can you post a pic of the cories? LFS employees don't always give great advice, unfortunately.

What about something like this?

6x Cories
    10-15x Ember tetra
    2x Honey gourami

5. OP
    OP
    r

It's hard to get pictures they always hide in the rock caves. One is albino and the other is a bronze colour. I have a 10 gallon tank that I have to cycle would I be able to put the Cory's or German Ram in there once it's up and running?

Also I really don't like gouramis for some reason the one's I've seen at the lfs aren't colourful and I want different types of fish with cool colours, also not into guppies. Is there small colourful fish you can recommend?

6. TexasDomer

7. OP
    OP
    r

I can't get rid of the gr as it was a present and I live in North Ontario with 1 lfs and they will not take the Cory's or German Ram back. What do I do? I really only want the best for the fish.

8. OP
    OP
    r

If I can keep the gr, what fish is compatible with it? I am going to put an add on kijiji to give away my Cory's.