German Ram not feeling so great

Kimberley2ka

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My female German Ram has been chilling at the bottom of the tank for 2 days now. She appears to not be interested in food and at times is almost ‘day dreaming’ type deal. I attempted to see her swim by moving my gravel vac by her but it too a bit and she just stuck around the bottom. I’m 85% sure that her eyes are slightly bulging as well. It is hard to see with the angles she is giving me. I did a 50% water change/gravel vac yesterday and am just finishing up a 10% water change right now.
before the water changes: 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite, 5-10ppm Nitrate.
I will be checking the water again in a second here (was impatient with posting).
Tank is 38g. Cycled running for....almost a year? I’m not sure currently.
temperature is 80 degrees
Tank mates are a male German Ram, 8 cherry barbs, 5 false bandit cories and a long fin pleco. sand substrate silk plants (one java fern currently as well).
They are fed 2 times a day - bug bites, algae wafers, blood worms, brine shrimp, veggies - of course not all at once but that is what is what is fed.
I have Melafix on hand and an empty 10 gallon if need be but I’m not totally sure what to do besides water changes every day at this moment. This is my first fish illness. Please help?? :(

OP
Kimberley2ka

Kimberley2ka

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok. Current ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0, nitrate 5ppm.
I took a better look and got a pic of her. Her left eye is bulging. Would she have popeye?Can I treat the whole tank or is this better to treat in a hospital tank?

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm pretty sure in a 10 gallon its approx 2 tablespoons. I dont think too much epson salt would harm her though

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with FinalFins Transfer the
Ram to a QT. She likely has a bacterial infection. I also agree going with a more natural approach over the use of antibiotics.

OP
Kimberley2ka

Kimberley2ka

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oops. Figured that one out. It’s amazing what happens when you’re trying to hurry and what thinking you do NOT do.
My girl is in her salt dip. She has some stress bars going on but all seems ok so far. Her front end randomly will float up and then a second or two later she will right herself. I have no clue what is going on with her. But thank you for the advice! I hope it isn’t too late and my girl pulls through!

OP
Kimberley2ka

Kimberley2ka

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok. I thought I’d just keep things all together here and update this along the way. My girl is still hanging on. I have switch to treating with Melafix. It appears her eye swelling(s) have gone down but she is still not interested in eating, sticking to one spot in the QT tank, and swimming a bit forwards, chillin’ for a bit then going a bit backwards at times. But for the most part she is just floating/sitting/laying on the bottom of the tank. Her colour is good. I have seen her brighter when she was with my male but she has her flashiness in QT currently. I’m just currently concerned that she doesn’t have any of her personality.

OP
Kimberley2ka

Kimberley2ka

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Man, I am about to give up on Rams. My female is still in QT and she appears to not see well? I’m not 100% on that but she doesn’t come to the glass to say hello which she used to do. My male Ram is being ridiculously shy in the main tank ever since she left and so I have a main tank full of shy fish currently - my cherry barbs are shy and my melini’s have taken to hiding in a little cave type area so I don’t see them often either. How can fish be so frustrating? Or maybe it’s because no stores are open due to covid. Or I’d be going to my lfs and seeing if they wanted some Rams.

New Threads