German Ram is sick, Please help!

1. Cableguy9872 Initiate Member

Hello, I have 2 German balloon rams in my tank, one recently became sick. A few days ago, I noticed his eye had a white cloudy fungus on it, that is what I thought and what my LFS said. He advices me to do a 30% PWC with R/O water(I was using tap water before) to lower my KH and GH. I did this my CH has dropped from 20 to 12 in the last 3 days, my fish's fungus is almost not noticable now, however the fish is very inactive and will not eat(not even brine shrimp) I tested my water and found this:
    Ammonia-0
    NitrIte-0
    Nitrate-15
    PH 8.0(was 8.2)
    GH-0
    CH-12
    Temp- 83.1

When I got home, my ram was vertical in the water(mouth pointing towards the top of the tank, floating on a leaf mid tank, the leaf moved and he sank to the bottom where he just sits. His color is very poor, and I can see a little bit of fungus on him, however his eye is still almost popping out of his head.

Should I try another PWC? medication? what do you guys think?
    Please let me know if I missed anything, I think I covered it all but could be wrong!

Edit:
    Posted a picture of him 3 days ago, when I did my PWC. Yes, he is in a net, but it was only so I could get a good picture of him, he was hiding all the time.

Attached Files:

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Since your water parameters are fine, I would suggest putting him in a quarantine tank, feeding him with his food soaked in garlic juice and see if that helps boost his immune system a bit and helping with his appetite.

If you don't see improvement over the next few days, I would medicate him with Maracyn Plus in his quarantine tank.

3. Cableguy9872 Initiate Member

He just died :(, i went out to get some more RO water to do a PWC and came home he was on the bottom laying on his side, breathing, watched him for 30 seconds and he stopped breathing :'(.

Any ideas on what he had? was it fungus that got the better of him? my other ram is doing great, he eats and everything, it was just this one fish. I am assuming by having a high PH(for these fish) that it weakened his immune system and allowed him to get sick and die.

4. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Oh no, I am so sorry you lost him.:'(Sometimes there is something wrong with a fish, be it in his genetic make-up or whatever that is beyond our control. Perhaps someone more experienced will have some insight as to what this could of been. Sounds like you tried very hard to save him.

5. Cableguy9872 Initiate Member

i was just doing what my LFS advised me to do, i didn't wanna lose him, had him for about 1 1/2 months, really enjoyed him! I thought he had fungus(it really looked like it, there was other spots on his body) but I didn't think fungus can kill a fish in 3-4 days! this rwas a big eye opener to me, and I am really going to drop my PH down to about 7.2 or right in that margin for my other ram, zebras, and tetras!

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry you lost him:(. GBR's are one of the most difficult fish to keep, yet we don't know why.

7. Cableguy9872 Initiate Member

my other one is doing fine i must say, when he died, i took him out and saw he was missing a fin on one of his sides, so that could have been why he wasn't swimming! I am kinda mad at my LFS because I can tell this guy is just into money and not really the well being of the fish.... time to find yet another one(if such thing exists)

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately, a lot of LFS are into money, not the well-being of the fish. It's something you'll here about quite a bit here. Hang in there, though. We'll all help you in any way we can.:)

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

If you want to lower your pH, don't use chemical stuff like pH down. Use a natural means like driftwood or peat.

I'm sorry you lost your fish. :(

10. Cableguy9872 Initiate Member

I was using tap water, I am slowly switching to RO water and have peat in my canister filter(only 1 bag of 3) so im slowly dropping it. I am using RO water with tap water and the PH isn't a lot lower than what the tank is currently at(.2 or so) and I just adjust this each PWC

I won't use any chemical to alter the PH for I have heard they can cause NASTY PH swings by throwing your KH out of wack, thanks for the advice though! :D