German Ram fish compatibility

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by reds, Jul 1, 2016.

1. redsValued MemberMember

I have a 32 gallon hexagonal tank it's more deep then wide. I currently have a German Ram I had 2 Cory's which I gave to a friend. I am wondering what other types of fish are compatible with my German Ram. Like I mentioned there's more swimming space height then length. I like colourful fish that are peaceful.

2. zeble

zebleNew MemberMember

I would say go with some smaller/peaceful fish such as a school of tetras. There's quite a few types that look great when with rams. Also what about getting another ram? Although make sure both are not male as that would probably cause some issues.

3. Steve8719Valued MemberMember

I keep my electric blue ram with a female swordtail, a neon blue dwarf gourami, neon and glolight tetras, some julli cories, and a bristlenose pleco. Everyone gets along great, though sometimes the swordtail and the dwarf gourami get into a tiff. Check out the dwarf gourami, I think they are great looking fish. I will caution you though that apparently the stock at most box stores is from Singapore and something like one in five has a weird disease that kills them after a month or so. I'm on my second one, but he seems fine and I've had him awhile now.

When I bought my electric blue ram, only a couple weeks ago now, the really knowledgable guy at the small LFS I got him from suggested I either do one or three. He said two was a bad idea because they can end up harassing each other all the time. If you have three or more then they get over it and go about their separate ways, and if any two do get into a tiff it won't be the same two all the time so they can at least catch a break. He also insisted they have plenty of plants to hide in.

4. DrSahl

DrSahlValued MemberMember

As zebie says I think tetra's are a good choice, since your tank is to small for more dwarfs im0.

I recommend rummy-nose tetra

5. No Fishing

No FishingValued MemberMember

You could do a school of cory and tetras which will add life to different parts of the tank.

GBR need warmer temperatures though so make sure the fish you get are temp compatible, around 82 degrees is ideal.

I currently have a school of ember and rummynose tetra with sterbai cory and a GBR along with some snails and shrimp. They all get along very well and they provide much life to my planted tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice