60 Gallon Tank German Ram coloration

anubisstar
I have a question about ram coloring.

I have a 60 gallon planted tank I setup about 6 weeks ago and cycled with established media. Penguin 200 HOB filter and marineland 220 cannister filter. Co2 injection and pool filter sand in the bottom. Current parameters are pH 6.9, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 5. Nitrates have never gone above 10 since adding fish and no fish have been lost. Do 30-50% water changes every 1-2 weeks. Current stock is a school of rummy nose tetra, school of peppered cory cats, 5 small angels, 5 nerite snails, and 2 rams. They are fed a mix of TetraMin tropical flakes and Tetra sinking color bits as their main diet, and then a mix of frozen, sinking carnivore pellets, and sinking bottom feeder wafers throughout the week. Lighting is a basic LED fixture from Amazon that I would say is moderate-high lighting. Besides the occasional chasing of one random fish to another there is no obvious bullying in the tank.

My question is about my rams, they were the second fish I added and have been in the tank for 27 days. They have always eaten all offered food very well and are very active. LFS had them listed as German Rams, and as beautiful as they are they just seem very dull in color compared to what I was expecting based on online pictures. I have never kept rams before so unsure if I'm doing something wrong or if perhaps they're still just immature and will gain color

coralbandit
They are light colored IMO because your substrate is light colored .
A darker substrate would make them darker ..
What temp are you keeping them at ?

anubisstar
coralbandit said:
They are light colored IMO because your substrate is light colored .
A darker substrate would make them darker ..
What temp are you keeping them at ?
The temperature is kept at 80 F

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom