German Ram Cichlid Friends?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Bry, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Bry

BryWell Known MemberMember

I got a pair of one of my dream fish yesterday. I've wanted a pair of German Rams for over a year now and I have them! My question is that they are in a 20 gallon tank with a 40 gallon filter on it, is there room for some friends? If so what would be good?

2. Five 97

Five 97Well Known MemberMember

What other types of fish are you interested in? Here's an idea ~

2x German rams
    8x Cardinal tetras or rummy-nose tetras or Harlequin rasboras
    8x Sterbai cories or Bronze cories or Emerald cories
    3-4x Male guppies

3. OP
    OP
    Bry

I love bright colored and active. But I'm open to ideas. I thought they needed 20 gallons for a pair, but I looked up a pair only needs like 12. So I was just curious what my options were. I prefer snails over cories, for the life of me I can't keep cories or plecos alive. Anything else, no problem, but cories and plecos always die on me within a week.
    I got a clown pleco in my 55 that holds the life record at 11 days.

4. Five 97

A single GBR may be able to be done in a 12g, depending on dimensions, but a pair will need a 20g min. What about swapping the corys for a school of Kuhli loaches? In your previous experiences with corydoras and plecos, did you feed them?

5. OP
    OP
    Bry

I like Kuhlis. Never had them but I love their look. (I love eels though never had one).
    I've always had a lot of algae in my tanks, probably from leaving the lights on too much. But I also dropped half an algae wafer and sinking shrimp pellets in for them.

6. Five 97

Corys, AFAIK, don't browse on algae. And herbivorous pleco species aren't very dependable for algae elimination either. Both need to be regularly fed, just like other fish. 8-10x Kuhli loaches would work instead of the cories. :)

7. OP
    OP
    Bry

Yea, I've learned the hard way that plecos are freeloaders. As is the Apple snail that the guy INSISTED would eat all the algae in my 55. Yea right.
    But what do Kuhli loaches eat? I thought about getting a Nerite or two to handle algae, and I know loaches usually eat snails. And do they need anything special? Somewhere to hide? Lots of plants? I figure I'll get better information here than attempting to research and get a hundred different answers.

8. Five 97

Yes, sadly, many places that sell fish are just trying to sell their fish and won't take your best interest into consideration.

A lot sinking foods should work fine for kuhlis. I use Hikari sinking wafers and Omega one shrimp pellets, and I also throw in some frozen bloodworms occasionally. I've kuhlis may prey on small/young pestsnails, but you will be totally fine with the nerites; they bother them for sure. Cover will definitely be appreciated as I've found them to be somewhat slightly nocturnal, with increased activity around dusk.

Also forgot to include - what's your substrate? With kuhlis, small and round gravel or sand is preferred to keep them from hurting themselves while rummaging and burrowing.

9. OP
    OP
    Bry

Sorry for the late reply, been busy. It's small gravel. Most of the pebbles are small enough to get stuck under my nails. (As I found out when rinsing it before putting it in the tank, ow) The typical bags from fish shops.
    I was checking this thread again as I look to browse the local shops to add to the tank. My rams have settled nicely. :)

Question, you said Kuhlis are nocturnal. My tank lights are typically on at night, since I'm pretty nocturnal myself. So will they be out when it's night time or when the tank is dark?
    I also looked up that sometimes they dig in the gravel, is that a problem is my tank is planted?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  10. Five 97

Hi, glad the rams are doing well. :) I don't think Kuhlis are fully nocturnal, but they do seem to be more active at night. Yes, they will burrow/dig into the substrate. I've had no trouble with stem plants, but I've heard that they may accidentally mess up carpeting plants that are just starting to carpet while they are going about their underground activities.

11. OP
    OP
    Bry

Yea the first couple days they stayed close to the ground. Now they're up and swimming around and playing in the plants. I have no carpet plants, but I love my stem, so that's good to hear. I guess I'll have to hunt around for a couple. The store I usually go to didn't have any today :( . They're not too common of a sight around my parts. But I'll just ask the locally owned shop to special order if I have to ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice