30 Gallon Tank German blue rams

MomOfLiveBearers

Hello. I had rescued 5 gbr's about a month ago. All were quite young and none had noticable colors at the time. They are now coloring up and I believe I may have a breeding pair. I don't plan on actively breeding them and purposely removing eggs etc, but I would like to be aware so I can feed the fry should there be some. I have what I believe to be the dominate male and a dominant female. The male has staked his claim over this cave in my tank and chases everyone away except this one ram. The female hangs out above the cave but never inside. I have done my best to rearrange so the other holes are blocked so the male doesn't feel like he's gotta guard all sides, and to help keep the tank mates from stumbling into his territory. Do y'all think they are getting ready to breed? Here's a pic of the pair and where they spend the majority of their time.
IMG_20210926_201944787~2.jpg

ANudibranch

I think they definitely could be getting ready to breed. If you're not planning on actively breeding them then they will probably just eat all of the fry. I do think that soon they will breed though and if you want to raise some fry, good luck! (sorry I couldn't be of more help, I'm not an expert on gbr's)

LowConductivity

When the other three are nosed into a back corner, they’re ready. They’ll go when they are happy, and you’ll know.

Rams are silly fish. I ended up with a Coral Bandit pair years ago. Before I knew it, I had hundreds upon hundreds of baby rams, and “baby” rams spawning in the growout tanks.

MomOfLiveBearers

Thank you ANudibranch and LowConductivity they have colored up quite nicely and I'm doing everything I can to give them their ideal space.aybe I'll be fortunate enough to witness the growth cycle.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Magnus919
Replies
Views
StanV
Replies
Views
coralbandit
  • Question
Replies