German Blue Rams

1. CherryBarb123 Member Member

I adore german blue rams. My LFS is great and their fish appear to be good quality. They have some gorgeous rams in there and I am so tempted by them

It is just so hard to not change my mind when I go in there

Anyway, can you keep rams alone? I think with my stock and that I already have a couple of pairs it wouldn't work? I plan to have/already have

10 rummies
    10 bleeding hearts
    10 julii cory
    2 angelfish
    2 honey gourami
    5 otto

Tank size 55 gallon
    Fluval u4 internal filter

Could I make the bleeding heart shoal size 6 and add 1 or 2 rams? If so, how many can I add? I don't Want to have too many pairs if it might cause problems. Could I just keep one?

I am aware that they can be hard to keep, so I don't need to be told about that side of their care!!

Thanks

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Yes you can keep Rams alone has in there solitary in the wild.

3. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Rams can be kept alone, but they'll be shy without dither fish, like the small schoolers you have. I would only do one pair because 2 pairs will mean territorial disputes and push your limit.

Rams are really fun fish. They have great personalities and are stunning. I hope you like them if you decide to get a pair.

4. CherryBarb123 Member Member

Ok, Thanks!

So could I stock:

10 x Julii Corydoras (Or should I Keep this lower?)
    10 x Rummies
    6 x Bleeding Hearts (Would it be pushing it to make it 8?)
    2 x German Rams
    2 x Honey Gouramis (Should I consider rehoming these?)
    2 x Angelfish
    5 x Otto

Are there to many pairs? Is that overstocked

Filter - Fluval U4 Internal
    Tank Size - 200L

If the fish are going to be unhappy, I won't do it. I could probably rehome the gouramis if space is needed. I would love to get rams, but that is only if it will work :)

Thanks

5. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I don't think the gouramis and rams will be a problem, as they tend to occupy different parts of the tank.

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would be worried about lowering the school of bleeding hearts. I have about 20 currently. When I first got them I only had 5 then I added 1 or 2 every week or so and they got calmer and calmer. They were pretty nippy until I had about 10 of them. I'd be worried they would start nipping at things in your tank

7. CherryBarb123 Member Member

Mine seem fairly peaceful at the moment. At the moment I have 6, and they only occasionally nip the angels at feeding time.

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Showoff.

Misc. 4-6-12 009.jpg Misc. 4-6-12 010.jpg Misc. 4-6-12 018.jpg Misc. 4-6-12 016.jpg

Can I show off the RAMS I got yesterday to someone who loves them?? YES I WILL. I wish I could take better pictures.

9. CherryBarb123 Member Member

They look great! I am able to go to my LFS on Tuesday, so would rams be suitable? Or should I stick with what I already have?