german blue rams with angelfish???

1. madcowsnake42 Initiate Member

I have upgraded to a 120 gallon tank setup about 3 months ago. :;rocker

It currently has 5 angelfish and wondered if adding german blue rams would work???

I have read of others doing it successfully, but I kinda want to avoid serious aggression. I recently had to rehome a beautiful angelfish, because of aggression... I only had 4 four at the time... I added 2 more to 'disperse' the aggression (FAIL):;smack

Now I'm looking to expand my stock and I love the look of the german blue rams... and they require similar water parameters....

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

GBRs will live rather peacefully with angelfish. You just gotta make sure they have their own space. What other fish will be in the tank?

3. madcowsnake42 Initiate Member

My other current stock are tetras, Cory cats, otocinclus and a couple of fiddler crabs (I know the crabs don't really fit be ut they seem happy and I haven't had any problems with them and the were cheap and do a great job of cleaning my sand

4. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I think you may have trouble with the crabs in the future but yeah everything else looks excellent. Do you know numbers and exact species of each fish?

5. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

How many are you going to add?

6. madcowsnake42 Initiate Member

I was thinking of adding two, I've read that more than 2 will lead to territory issues...

I have 6 glow light tetra, 6 bloodfin tetra, 5 peppered cory catfish, 5 otocinclus, 5 juvenile angelfish ~3in and 3 gold claw fiddler crabs

When you say the crabs might be a problem what problem would you have (except them constantly trying to climb out the top...)

7. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Haha you can add a lot more than that. In a 120g tank there is enough territory for many pairs of rams. Also I would up your tetra schools to at least 10 and your cory school to 10. Those fish like groups. You are pretty understocked right now so you can definitely fiddle with stocking for the time being. Course the trick to that is research.

Most crabs kept in aquariums are actually semi-terrestrial, brackish crabs. This means they require some salt in their water and a place to get out of the tank to breathe. I don't know too much about them so hopefully another member with more knowledge will stop by.

8. madcowsnake42 Initiate Member

Yea I've noticed them crawling on some of my ornaments, i was just researching some "suction cup" islands for crabs. Any ideas would be appreciated....
    My HOB biowheel filter makes an ungodly noise when the waters reduced and wont pump water till the tank is nearly full (annoying!!!)

My well water is just horrible, pH of over 8.8 and GH of 320ppm, I use ~40% R/O (a small unit that was already installed for drinking water- 50 gallon per day membrane) to maintain a pH of 7.8 and a GH of ~210ppm so... sadly the tank does have some disolved minerals. It's still probably not ideal for crabs but common in my area. Sucks I would love to raise discus at sometime but that's not going to happen unless I move to another area of the country.

And I'm looking into more fish:) But just taking it slow since my upgrade from a 55 gallon set me back financially.

9. madcowsnake42 Initiate Member

10. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

sadly even with the land, they still need brackish water to survive, and eventually the fiddlers will get eatin or eat something

11. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I had an adult male angelfish and an adult male GBR in my 55gal tank and they completely ignored each other. The GBR stayed at the bottom and the angel stayed from the mid to the top.

12. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Fiddler crabs are brackish. They should be removed before they fie trying to survive in freshwater. They also need more land than water.

13. madcowsnake42 Initiate Member

Thanks for all the great info!! I moved the crabs to a temporary home. Don't know what I'm gonna do with them just yet... looking into options further

14. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member