German Blue rams vs. Bolivian rams

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by e_watson09, Apr 3, 2010.

1. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I had never even herd of a ram until I started reading posts on here about them and so I'm still doing research on them and so far I like the Bolivian Ram and the German blue ram. What's the big differences in them other than color? Is one more aggressive than others? Does one require anything special than the other? If you have them in your tanks at home what do you have them with, have you noticed they do better with some types of fish compared to others? Also if you can remember about how much you paid for them.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Bolivian Rams are from Bolivia and Brazil and will tolerate water temps 72-79F . I hear their not as sensitive as German Blue Rams.

German Blue Rams(GBR) are from Venezuala and colombia will tolerate water temps from78-85F. They are very sensitive to water quality. In my experience Females are very delicate and sensitive after spawning. I just paid $8 each for two GBR.
    Hope that helps.
    Carol

3. p

potatos Valued Member Member

I have had a male since thanksgiving. He can be agressive to similar looking fish (dwarf gourami) he gives a small chase to my pearl gourami but never dose any damage. he killed my baby angle. he ignores my danio and bristle nosed pleco. i added a female two days ago, and he accepts her and dose not chase her at all. I do weekly 30% water changes, and all of the water i remove through the gravel so as to remove all the poo from the fish (especially the pleco) and any uneaten food. I feed flakes and frozen brine shrimp or blood worms evry two or three days. i feed in the morning and at night. the male was quite drab, but when i added fish that he felt the needed to defend hos territory against (gourami) his eyes turned red, his dorsal fin has been flared, and he has significantly coloured up. i upgraded my lighting, which has also improved his apperance. the female i added also made him more colourful, and the black backround i added brings out his colour. He has done fine on my feeding and clean schedule.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice