German Blue Rams Paired? Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by JakeDfish, Jul 12, 2019.

1. JakeDfish

JakeDfishNew MemberMember

I made a thread awhile ago wondering if I had all male all female or one male and one female GBR. I ended up returning the other female and getting what I thought was a male. Things settled down and today when I looked at the tank I realized the female was tolerating the new fish sitting there next to her there was no bumping or pecking between them and they slowly swam after each other. The new fish also has way more defined colors and is getting way brighter and prettier than usual. Is this a sign that it is a male and they have paired up or are going to pair up? All the online sexing advise doesn’t match the fish. I have pictures where the black spot is covered in reflective scales and others where it is dark black. Any and all advise is welcome.

Update: the tides have changed as to who is boss in the fish tank the bigger female is being chased by the new male. It almost looks like one wants to pair and the other is saying no. The new fish is swimming after the female and won’t stop. When the female turns around to peck him he pecks back and when the female swims away the male follows and the process repeats.

Attached Files:

2. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Hard to tell from pics ..
    If you have the two in the second picture still then I say both female ..
    Can't tell what first picture is besides pretty stressed ?

3. OP
    OP
    JakeDfish

Is this better?

Attached Files:

4. coralbandit

Looks female IMO.

5. OP
    OP
    JakeDfish

Ok thanks, will the little pecking and chasing go away after awhile or do I need to remove one?

6. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

How big is your tank? I have 3 females in my 120g, they all have a place in heirarchy despite there not being a male in there. I feel if I had only two, one would be always chasing the other, but I don't keep two rams in a tank only anymore either. I plan to add more females and a male.

7. OP
    OP
    JakeDfish

I have a 20 gallon with 3 Corydoras and 1 dojo loach. If I got a male would it balance out the fights and stop the pecking?

8. coralbandit

I would choose to have a male female pair only or get another female .I never found trios or harems to work long term myself ..

9. OP
    OP
    JakeDfish

Ok I will try getting another female and if that doesn’t work, I’ll get a pair of them. Thank you guys for the help.

10. angelcraze

When I 'saved' a female ram from a tank that was being dismantled, I added her with my pair of rams in a 46g, it didn't go well at all. I wouldn't just keep two females and one male, that's for sure. My favorite setup for rams is 3 females, one male. But I haven't tried it long-term yet either. For me, 4 works better than 2. The males always chased the females relentlessly when there was only two, but it could be EBRs are more aggressive, idk?

11. OP
    OP
    JakeDfish

I would rather get 3 females and one male so a pair from the fish store than get rid of one female. But will there be enough room for 4 GBR’s in a 20 gallon tank or do I not have that option?

12. coralbandit

I can't say how well they would do together in a 20g..I breed my rams in 5&10g tanks and raise fry in every size up !
    If you want sure fire sexing I can send you whatever sex ram you want [if you are in the US]..
    I ship several times a week and enjoy nothing but the best reviews for what many say may be the best rams in the country and may possibly be the only source of true dark black rams breed in the US...
    You don't need to count on your LFS..I am bandit ! :cool:

13. Minxxy

MinxxyWell Known MemberMember

you make it hard to wait lol

14. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Patience! @Minxxy
    Get in line and take a number for the "Dark Blacks". Like the rest of us. LOL
    @JakeDfish
    Highly recommend @coralbandit
    Have a pair of EBA from him and they breed any chance they get. I have to keep them separate, or before I know it I have more batches of fry than tanks.

:;bananawater

15. Minxxy

MinxxyWell Known MemberMember

i want the EB right now...but im focused elsewhere at the moment

16. OP
    OP
    JakeDfish

I would love to check out your fish selection! Do you have a website or do most people order them from here? It would be great to skip the frustration of the LFS and just buy from you. How much would a pair of GBR’s cost?

17. angelcraze

I guess I can't say either, cuz I only kept them in bigger tanks. Sounds like if there's only two, a 5 or 10g is good for breeding, but them again, idk if that's a permanent setup. I keep my rams in a 120g atm, and in a big tank, 4 is better than two I find. My rams are housed permanently in a community tank or were housed permanently in a 46g.

I think the best setup would be a larger community tank of rams and then put a gravid female and alfa male together in a small tank for breeding, then put them back in the main ram tank.

For you, it sounds like 4 will be ok in the 20g. Make sure to provide a lot of cave, maze, hiding spots and territory, see how it goes?

18. OP
    OP
    JakeDfish

I will do that I will probably order a pair from coral bandit if it doesn’t cost too munch. I have a spare tank for breeding but can I just let them breed in the big tank then move the eggs into the breeding tank and let them hatch or do the parents have to come with them? I have plenty of hiding places for 4 so that definitely wouldn’t be a problem I probably have 20 different places that are mostly sealed off from everything else.

19. angelcraze

@coralbandit would have better answers cuz my ram breeding experiences were limited. But that's what I did, I removed the whole rock they spawned on (rams like to breed on flat horizontal surfaces) hatched them in a small container with a heater and airstone then grew them out starting in a bare bottom 5g.

20. coralbandit

You don't have PMs yet so when you find my auctions you can ask the seller a question and it will put you in email contact with me or message me
    I breed my rams in 5&10g tanks .Some will raise fry and others not so much .
    Artificially hatching is not the hardest thing but takes effort and learning/experience ..
    They are fun fish for sure . The challenge ads to the satisfaction IMO ! Where's the pride in doing the easy things ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2019