German Blue Rams laying eggs

philly27
so i woke up this morning to a little surprise in my GBR tank. just the two of them in there. anything i should do? hopefully i dont come home from work and there all eaten. i got them a week ago and still thought they were juveniles.. I know they mature faster then most fish but dang.

Betta'sAnonymous
From some of my random readings, i seem to recall that keeping the parents with is the thing to do, even though eggs might get eaten. I do not know from experience yet, as i haven't yet kept any rams myself.

philly27
Yeah I read the same as they’re good parents. I just don’t know if it’s acceptable to do a water change during this process as I don’t want to stress them out or disrupt the eggs.

Betta'sAnonymous
philly27 said:
Yeah I read the same as they’re good parents. I just don’t know if it’s acceptable to do a water change during this process as I don’t want to stress them out or disrupt the eggs.
The way i do it, when i first see newborn platy fry, i just push my water change back 2-3 days usually to give myself a couple of days for them to grow a little bit so maybe i have a chance of seeing them when i start vaccing. Since i generally do 50% weekly, things stay pretty stable so it doesn't really effect things too much if i wait 1.5-2 weeks every so often.

philly27
Betta'sAnonymous said:
The way i do it, when i first see newborn platy fry, i just push my water change back 2-3 days usually to give myself a couple of days for them to grow a little bit so maybe i have a chance of seeing them when i start vaccing. Since i generally do 50% weekly, things stay pretty stable so it doesn't really effect things too much if i wait 1.5-2 weeks every so often.
Okay sweet thanks so much!
Also, what’s a reasonable expectation of survival of these potential eggs? I’ll do extensive research when I get back home.

coralbandit
Most of those eggs already look infertile . They are white .
You can see a few that are still amber .
That could be just because the pair is young , the pair is not a pair but 2 females , or the water is too hard to allow the eggs to become fertile .
Rams can breed as young as 4 months old but often have a learning curve that makes them in efficient until 6 months . In most cases unless kept properly and luck is on your side rams today make LOUSY parents ..
Not saying there are not pairs that are great parents but the % of pairs like that seems low ..
Pics of both fish so we know you have male female .
Tell me about your water ..Hardness and TDS are more helpful then just pH ..
Breeding rams is easy ..
Raising rams is another story ..
Enjoy ~!

philly27
coralbandit said:
That could be just because the pair is young , the pair is not a pair but 2 females , or the water is too hard to allow the eggs to become fertile .
Rams can breed as young as 4 months old but often have a learning curve that makes them in efficient until 6 months . In most cases unless kept properly and luck is on your side rams today make LOUSY parents ..
Not saying there are not pairs that are great parents but the % of pairs like that seems low ..
Breeding rams is easy ..
Enjoy ~!
thank you for replying! much appreciated for dropping the knowledge! and they ate the eggs about 18 hours later, i was back home from work and happy they were all there and then i witnessed them eat them one by one.. which was sad. my water is 7.6 pH (my tap is 8.2, but i put almond leaves in every week after water change). my KH is 6 degrees and general hardness is 8 degrees with a 82-84 water temp. they are currently in a 10 gallon. but will be moved to one of my bigger tanks. ill drop some photos. thanks again

Jennmariexoxo
philly27 said:
thank you for replying! much appreciated for dropping the knowledge! and they ate the eggs about 18 hours later, i was back home from work and happy they were all there and then i witnessed them eat them one by one.. which was sad. my water is 7.6 pH (my tap is 8.2, but i put almond leaves in every week after water change). my KH is 6 degrees and general hardness is 8 degrees with a 82-84 water temp. they are currently in a 10 gallon. but will be moved to one of my bigger tanks. ill drop some photos. thanks again
Looks like a male/female pair to me so I would say probably because they're young and still figuring it all out.

philly27
Jennmariexoxo said:
Looks like a male/female pair to me so I would say probably because they're young and still figuring it all out.
yeah i thought so too while at the store.

philly27
coralbandit said:
Breeding rams is easy ..
Enjoy ~!
Hello, happy Sunday! since last replied to one another my 2 GBRs have laid eggs twice. They ate them again, but this last drop of eggs is different as its been 60+ hours of them (eggs) being carefully watched over by the parents and the eggs are almost kind of bouncing around as if they're about to hatch. is there anything i should do? i did put a sponge over my intake HOB so nothing gets sucked up in addition to having a sponge filter installed. much appreciated btw!

Betta'sAnonymous
philly27 said:
Hello, happy Sunday! since last replied to one another my 2 GBRs have laid eggs twice. They ate them again, but this last drop of eggs is different as its been 60+ hours of them (eggs) being carefully watched over by the parents and the eggs are almost kind of bouncing around as if they're about to hatch. is there anything i should do? i did put a sponge over my intake HOB so nothing gets sucked up in addition to having a sponge filter installed. much appreciated btw!
Hopefully you get a great hatch like my peacock gudgeons just did...almost 100%

philly27
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Hopefully you get a great hatch like my peacock gudgeons just did...almost 100%
im hoping! ive never been so stressed over something i cant control. im hoping for great results

Betta'sAnonymous
philly27 said:
im hoping! ive never been so stressed over something i cant control. im hoping for great results
I wouldn't stress over it too much. Eventually, between knowledge, skill, luck and dumb luck, it will all come together! This one was my first spawn of anything EVER and i got a huge hatch rate....survival rate TBD...while i did do a decent amount of research on breeding and had a clue, i still figure i have been mostly just lucky up to this point!

coralbandit
They will be wigglers likely as long as it took to hatch .
During this time the parents may move them to a new clean /safe location .
This may make you think they ate them but look to see if one of the pair is protecting a new area and you will likely find them . They won't swim till they are done wiggling / absorbing their yolk sac .
Good luck !

philly27
coralbandit said:
This may make you think they ate them but look to see if one of the pair is protecting a new area and you will likely find them . They won't swim till they are done wiggling / absorbing their yolk sac .
Good luck !
you were correct! they moved them to a new location within my java fern. i am feeding my 2 GBRs more often to help them not eat their eggs... i dont know if that's necessary or warranted. theyre each protecting the eggs in shifts it seems like.
coralbandit said:
Good luck !
I added a video. I think there getting close. I feel like they’re moving/bouncing around. Sorry if bad quality. German blue ram eggs starting to hatch?

philly27
most of them hatched by this afternoon and some started moving pretty well. The parents continuously watch over them and move them back to the "safe" spot once they venture out far enough. i think im going to feed them powered egg yolk or some finely crushed up/powered flake food. hopefully there's a decent survival rate.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom