German Blue Rams laid Eggs (now they are fighting)

1. rarico Initiate Member

Hello Friends,

I am a newbie to this wonderful world of fish! I recently set up a 10 gallon and had 6 Sepre Tetras and 2 German Blue Rams (1 male/1 female) after about a week or so the rams paired up and laid eggs. Upon this I removed the Tetras to a separate tank. The female started to try to eat the eggs and the male was guarding them/defending them. She was pretty weak and getting harassed by him something terrible. I separated them and she seemed to get her strength back. Several days later the eggs haven't hatched and the male started to eat them. He did well his first go around! So I removed the screen separating them and they were fine for a day or two. She started to color up again.

Tonight she was being chased non stop all around the tank. There are more than enough hiding spaces for her and him. I screened them off because I was afraid she was getting too stressed and she seems to be doing better. The questions is do I add the tetra back to they have a common "enemy" to bond over. I was oping to let them have the tank to themselves and see if they laid tried again in a couple weeks. Any tips on how to rekindle the romance... or at the very least not have him kill her. Thanks!

P.S. I am in the process of upgrading to a 125 Gallon tank, but it will take some time to get going.

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

Unfortunately 10G is too small for the pair of rams. Adding tetras will further overcrowd your tank and may lead to more aggression.

Here's the fact sheet on rams: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/dec07/blue-ram-cichlid.htm

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not, I suggest reading up about it by clicking the blue underlined words.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the My Settings button at the top of this page, and select Edit Aquarium Info. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.